PDA

View Full Version : Fifty Years Ago This Weekend

BarryBobPosthole
10-08-2020, 09:47 AM
Barry Switzer and the Sooners debuted the wishbone offense at Oklahoma. Against Texas. And lost. But it was start of a long run. It was quite the innovation in 1970. Four yards and a cloud of dust, and once in a while a 60 yard run.

BKB

quercus alba
10-08-2020, 10:47 AM
and it was the big fast linebackers that Jimmy Johnson recruited to Miami that finally figured out how to slow down the wishbone. I used to love to watch Hollieway, Watts and Thomas Lott run that wishbone for the Sooners. It was virtually unstoppable

BarryBobPosthole
10-08-2020, 11:01 AM
and it was the big fast criminals that Jimmy Johnson recruited to Miami that finally figured out how to slow down the wishbone. I used to love to watch Hollieway, Watts and Thomas Lott run that wishbone for the Sooners. It was virtually unstoppable

Fixed it for ya.
BKB

quercus alba
10-08-2020, 04:30 PM
From their speed they must have specialized in the smash and grab. Some of them could run a 4.5 forty with a tv under one arm and a vcr under the other

BarryBobPosthole
10-08-2020, 05:15 PM
If you’ve never watched a replay of the ‘91 Cotton Bowl, Dennis Erickson was the Miami coach, it was a mauling by a band of criminals on national television. Miami was a national embarrassment at the time and was under investigation not by the NCAA but by thefederal government for things they did under jimmy johnson. I despise Texas but it was very sad to watch how Miami just basically kicked Texas’ ass and the coaches encouraged the whole thing.
Miami set some sort of record for unsportsmanlike conduct but I don’t think a single player got ejected.
Sad!

BKb

DeputyDog
10-12-2020, 11:10 AM
I used to have one of the t-shirts from one of the Miami-ND games back then. “Catholics Vs. Convicts”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk