PDA

View Full Version : A couple of interesting observations today ...

Thumper
10-08-2020, 06:26 PM
One of the local estate sale companies contacted me a few days ago to ask if I could help with a sale today as they were short-handed. The house was located on a very narrow street with no parking available, but there was a vacant lot next door that the HOA gave them permission to use. I played parking attendant as space was limited and without orderly parking, there simply wouldn't have been room for half the crowd who showed up.

My first observation? People are generally idiots, or they are simply selfish sob's and care about nobody but themselves. As stated, parking was VERY limited and if I lost the handle on organization, we'd have nothing but a total cluster-fuck. I would keep track of any empty spaces and direct the next car to it. If there were two spaces side-by-side and I turned my back or got distracted for a few seconds, just about EVERY frigging time, some bozo would slip in and park right in the center of the two spaces! It happened time and time again. It was NOT because the spaces were too narrow, they were ample enough to handle large pick-ups without crowding. People were just oblivious to the fact there are others on this earth besides themselves! Un-frigging-believable.

Ok, observation number two ... almost ALL of the local cars (Florida plates) that had any sort of political bumper stickers or decals displayed (including hats or t-shirts worn by the drivers/passengers), were Trump supporters. Of course it's also October, so a good number of the attendees had Yankee plates on their cars since the snowbirds are here now (they're BIG on estate sales, garage sales, etc. because they have nothing better to do). Almost every one of them had Biden stuff on their cars or clothing. It was extremely noticeable as I pretty much greeted EVERYBODY who came onto the lot and had full view of their parked cars.

One of the most obvious Northern cars looked like it had been through a wedding, as every window on the car had handwritten Biden/Harris crap written on them with white shoe polish. The couple in the car appeared to be in their 70's or so and had Illinois plates. Every window except the windshield had white shoe polish slogans written on them and the back window had a huge message that said, "Let the Blue wave roll!" written all over it. I voted this the most "over-the-top" Yankee car on the lot. Then comes my vote for the local, Republican entry. It was a Ford Crown Victoria occupied by a nice looking older couple, again, looked to be in their 70's. They had a bumper sticker with an American flag in the background that read, "Jesus is my Savior - Trump is my President". Not too crazy I guess, but it just struck me as ... I dunno ... maybe the religion/politics connection just seems weird to me, especially to throw Trump and Jesus into the same message.

BarryBobPosthole
10-08-2020, 06:40 PM
Hoosiers! I tell ya...

BKb

airbud7
10-08-2020, 06:59 PM
why leave enough space for somebody else to park just so they can buy the stuff you wanted?.....:D

as far as the Yankees go at least they can't vote in your state...ie: out-of-state plates.

if the election has anything to do with yard signs around here Biden will come in 3rd next to Trump and yard sale...:D

Thumper
10-08-2020, 07:34 PM
Hoosiers! I tell ya... BKb

Ha ha ha! My apologies to the Hoosiers here. I have no idea why I typed Indiana. I meant Illinois! :banghead

I'll edit the original.

DeputyDog
10-12-2020, 11:16 AM
True Hoosiers don’t even claim any part of NW Indiana as a real part of the state. It’s called “the region” and we keep trying to give it to Illinois but they won’t even take it.

Also, anything south of US 40 might as well be Kentucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
10-12-2020, 01:17 PM
I know what you mean about Kentuck folk, DD.

BKB

Penguin
10-13-2020, 03:30 PM
It'll be interesting on election night to see how it plays out.

Do you believe the polls? Or do you believe everything else that tells you the polls are wrong? Does the Covid recession cost Trump the election (as would be expected)? Or does the Democratic alliance fracture as Hispanics abandon ship (as looks increasingly likely)?

I remember telling you guys over a decade ago that the country was starting a realignment. That the political parties were going to have to change shape to survive. But it was murky and almost impossible to predict how it would play out. A lot of surprises.

Prediction: Things have gotten a lot more clear on how it turns out... if Trump wins. Assuming that, the Hispanic vote increasingly becomes Republican. The R's shed their elite members who become Democrats. The remainder comprise a new blue collar political party under an old name. The Democratic party has the choice between being an academic/bureaucracy based management party or not. If Trump loses, this thing can shapeshift right back to the deadlock we had 10 years ago and we fight amongst ourselves for another decade. If he wins this fight recedes and we've got our realignment.

Will

quercus alba
10-13-2020, 03:42 PM
Pretty obvious that everybody needs to vote Trump for a better tomorrow.

Chicken Dinner
10-13-2020, 04:22 PM
Sorry, I’ll not vote for either one of these assholes. That’s my vision of a better tomorrow.

Arty
10-13-2020, 04:49 PM
Sorry, I’ll not vote for either one of these assholes. That’s my vision of a better tomorrow.

Vote for the person who goes live on Facebook and has 10,000 viewers.

I get what you are saying, I really do. But I might as well vote for Larke damn Plyler.

Which I might.

But he’d be pissed I wasted a vote.

Thumper
10-13-2020, 05:04 PM
True, we ALL know Larke would be pissed about a wasted vote. Of course that would mean no vote, a third party vote or a Democrat vote! Personally, I ALWAYS vote for the party that shares the most, or at minimum, the most important of my beliefs. That normally means the Republican candidate regardless of how big an asshole he/she may be. So far, I’ve never agreed with the other side enough to switch parties. Voting the third party “protest” vote option is nothing more than a wasted vote. So I’ll still be on good terms with Larke this time around.

Arty
10-13-2020, 09:31 PM
True, we ALL know Larke would be pissed about a wasted vote. Of course that would mean no vote, a third party vote or a Democrat vote! Personally, I ALWAYS vote for the party that shares the most, or at minimum, the most important of my beliefs. That normally means the Republican candidate regardless of how big an asshole he/she may be. So far, I’ve never agreed with the other side enough to switch parties. Voting the third party “protest” vote option is nothing more than a wasted vote. So I’ll still be on good terms with Larke this time around.

Pretty much the same.
Trump aside, the GOP doesn’t align with me 100%

My views are:

1) don’t tax me to death. Tax is a fine. Period

2) a heartbeat is life. The same science that’s says
masks will save your life, says a heartbeat isn’t a life. ( BTW, they’ve flip flopped 3 times now on masks, but you know... SCIENCE!!!!)

3) touch my guns, ... well. Just don’t touch my guns.

c) want to be successful? Get off your lazy fucking ass and be successful. Successful is relative.
And more importantly, be smart. I start a job on Monday that will keep me successful, and wealthy. Less than I made in my previous job, but since I’m not a dumbass, it’s cool. Our Land buying plans are still on the 5-7 year forecast. People equate salary with success when in fact you can be successful happy and content with a fraction of what you “think” you need. I guess 18 years of making loans to people helped me in that regard. One of my first lessons was a loan I made to an attorney up in Lanham Maryland, that made 400k a year. He needed 3k to “pay bills”. Lesson learned then and there. Don’t overspend or overbuy.

4.a) the hell with leading voting groups by the short hairs. The democrats were and remain the real racists. Skin is skin. I don’t GAF where you were born or how you grew up. And I have the backstory to shut that shit down right quick. Black folk rely on the Dems because the Dems still talk about something that happened eons ago.

The rest of both parties, is horse shit.

#KAG

Arty
10-13-2020, 09:37 PM
And to your original post....
trump and Jesus have nothing to do with each other.

Jesus IS my savior (message or text me if you would like to talk more about that!)

Trump is my president.

But the two do not intersect any more than wine and cheese.

Arty
10-13-2020, 09:41 PM
I know what you mean about Kentuck folk, DD.

BKB

Bite me.
You and DD can get a 2 for 1 discount.

Penguin
10-14-2020, 07:58 AM
Bite me.
You and DD can get a 2 for 1 discount.

"A host of friends... I have a host of friends." - James Caan in El Dorado

:)

LJ3
10-14-2020, 04:54 PM

CD and "those types" who clutch their protest votes are missing the big picture. We've tried talking sense in to him but he's not having it!

I think Trump's an asshole as a person. I had to separate the asshole from the policies. And yes "people like CD" will try to tear away at all the policies and how they're not truly Republican but again... miss the big picture by a mile and a half.

Which party has policies that more closely align with conservative values and planks? Biden or Trump?

I was gonna be like CD and throw my vote away on Jorgenson for some self-absorbed idea of putting a stake in the ground. Instead I'm going in the voting booth and casting Larke's vote for him. Least I could do for a friend!

Chicken Dinner
10-14-2020, 08:26 PM
Bullshit. I disagree completely with both of their policies. Why should I vote for either one?

Thumper
10-14-2020, 09:29 PM
Then why vote at all?

Chicken Dinner
10-15-2020, 03:33 AM
Because the Libertarian candidate most closely matches my political beliefs.

Thumper
10-15-2020, 06:00 AM
Fair enough ..... if you like “pissing into the wind”. 😉

Penguin
10-15-2020, 08:09 AM
I'll have to go with Hank. Not that I sympathize with Libertarianism. I've called it an adolescent masturbatory fantasy too many times in too many contexts to pretend that I would encourage it in any way.

But a man's got to do what he thinks is right and he has to vote the way he thinks is right. And he deserves the benefit of the doubt from the rest of us. So rock on Hank, cast your vote proudly buddy.

Will

BarryBobPosthole
10-15-2020, 08:12 AM
I’m with Hank and Willy!
BKB

BarryBobPosthole
10-15-2020, 08:13 AM
(Hank Williams and Willie Nelson that is)
BKB

Penguin
10-15-2020, 08:23 AM
Didn't see that one coming. :)

That was a good one.

Will

Thumper
10-15-2020, 08:22 PM
As stated before, it’s nothing more than a “feel good” vote. If it makes you feel better, go for it. But it won’t change a darn thing ... NOTHING .... other than hurting your second choice and making you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

BarryBobPosthole
10-15-2020, 08:28 PM
I know people who approach their vote like you, they would only vote for a candidate they think would win, otherwise it’d be ‘wasted’. Other folks vote for who aligns closest to their own political beliefs whether their person can win or not.
My approach to presidential/national elections is to vote party, and in state local to vote for individuals regardless of party.

BKB

Thumper
10-15-2020, 09:45 PM
I’d have to say I’m pretty much the same. I’m a registered Republican and (so far) have always voted Republican. I can name a few issues that I disagree with regarding the Republican platform, yet agree with the Democrats. The point is, I agree with a majority of the Republican platform and that’s the reason I vote that way. It’s a matter of percentages. I guess you could say I align with 25% of the Democratic platform and 75% Republican, so that’s the decision maker. Even if I agree with a majority of what a third party represents, I still won’t throw my vote away just to make a point. I have more important things to do and simply wouldn’t waste my time and effort. Like a buddy of mine, he always swears he’s going to “write in” Mickey Mouse. Fine, it’s a free country and he can do what he wants, that doesn’t mean I agree with it or even remotely understand it.

Like you, with many local elections, I pay no attention to political parties. TBH, I couldn’t tell you how I normally vote In local elections as far as parties are concerned. What do I care what party our property appraiser supports?

BarryBobPosthole
10-16-2020, 08:10 AM
Because I voted absentee this year I had the chance to do a little research on the retention of judges that I always feel like are a joke since very few people know squat about them. After reading up on their decisions and the things they wrote, I voted against retaining all of them!
BKB