PDA

View Full Version : USPS....what ya'll think???...

Big Muddy
02-13-2013, 04:54 PM
What ya'll think about the postal service, eliminating Saturday mail delivery???....even living out in the boonies, I don't think I'll miss the Saturday delivery, whatsoever....they do some really dumb stuff, but I think it shoulda been eliminated, years ago.

Actually, I think congress has been the hold-up on it, not the postal service.

BarryBobPosthole
02-13-2013, 05:00 PM
Yep I think its a sensible move. I think they should offer a Saturday delivery if you want to pay for an item to be delivered though, like UPS and Fedex does. We still get lot of mail at our house. I'm not sure 75% is really mail though. That's got to be the bulk of what they deliver and a lot of those businesses depend on it. That's the only part I'd have any concern about and I imagine they can live without it and not get hurt.
BKB

Buckrub
02-13-2013, 05:07 PM
Firing 2/3 of their managers would help more.

But I don't need mail but about 2 days a week. It's mostly magazines and junk anyway.

Eliminating "US Postal Rates" is a necessity but folks would balk prolly.

Big Muddy
02-13-2013, 05:15 PM
I heard they have not been hiring many new postmaters for quite some time.....they make too much money and benefits....so, they're using, what they call OIC's in the smaller offices, and consolidating the larger offices where the postmasters will be transferred in to them.

I know two postmasters who have to travel over 120 miles roundtrip to work.

Buckrub
02-13-2013, 05:35 PM
Don't mean postmasters.

I mean that USPS has a manager for about every 5 employees, last I read this.......and, say, UPS has 1 manager for about every 11 employees. And you know what a federal pension costs.

BarryBobPosthole
02-13-2013, 06:00 PM
Ah...I remember the good old days when all the post office did was shoot people.

BKB

Niner
02-13-2013, 10:43 PM
There's a lot of Civil Servants who belong to the Letter Carrier's Union. Their retirement package ain't as sweet as yu'd think.

Buckrub
02-13-2013, 10:56 PM
I'd give a toe to get the Federal Civil Servants pension package instead of the one I got.

BaseballCoach
02-13-2013, 11:59 PM
My mother has been a rural carrier for about 20 years. Even as far back as she has been on board, postal employees are not civil servants and get no federal pension. She has SS and a 401k just like most working Americans.

Buckrub
02-14-2013, 12:08 AM
Rural carriers are contractors, I think. Not counting them.........so, no Postmasters, and no contractors, and they still have double the managers of UPS. Wonder why?

Clearly this is not a money making business. Someone should easily be able to find out why.

Thumper
02-14-2013, 05:43 AM
Odd, the P.O. has been losing money every year for the last bazillion years ... the place seems to hemorrhage money. EVERY year, they say the solution is to raise rates ... and they do. It's NOT the rates ... it's mismanagement .. and they have TONS of "managers"! It's a typical gov't operation and they couldn't run a successful business if their lives depended on it. Why is it FedEx, UPS, DHL and Purolator can manage to stay in business? I don't ever remember them standing in line for gov't handouts. They're in business to operate efficiently and make a profit ... if they don't, they're out of business. The Post Office? No problem ... they can operate the place like a bunch of drunken sailors and if their finances are in the toilet at the end of the year, Uncle Sugar is right there with OUR checkbooks to bail them out!

Big Boy
02-15-2013, 08:49 AM
The USPS was formerly a government organization - they've NEVER been organized to make money, Finnances were probably disregarded. It's the government mentality. It's why our national debt is a number bigger than anyone on this planet can fathom!