PDA

View Full Version : A read well worth the time...

Penguin
10-14-2020, 09:36 AM
I came across another article that I think some of you might find interesting. Although it doesn't explain everything about the issue or make the claim that it does. In my experience it does explain the mindset that some of the college kids that are so annoying to so many of us. And it explains their emotional attachment to their always evolving trigger words and concepts.

Educating more people in college and telling them that this is the road to "superiority" over their fellow citizens has real dangers. Doing so when there isn't room for many of them in the workforce turns out to be (yet another) recipe for social unrest.

https://benjaminstudebaker.com/2020/09/28/the-rump-professional-class-and-its-fallen-counterpart/

Great insight here: (be sure and note the difference between Rump and Fallen professionals

"Because the fallen professionals want to feel superior to the ordinary workers, the rump professionals have a financial incentive to sell ideas which flatter this superiority complex. This has led, in recent years, to the development of a woke industry which invents new terms and grounds for taking offence. By using these terms and taking offence in these ways, the fallen professionals feel they are participating in the culture of the rump professionals and they can distinguish themselves from the ordinary workers, who fail to use the language or to recognize the offensiveness.

The rump professionals justify this commercialization of radicalism on the grounds that it is ostensibly morally committed to resisting racism, patriarchy, fascism, or even capitalism itself. But the main effect of the product is to create cultural barriers between the fallen professionals and the ordinary workers, so the fallen professionals will continue to politically identify with the rump professionals and therefore with the rich. The language is used to label the ordinary worker a deplorable bigot, and the ordinary worker responds by seeking the absolute destruction of these professionals through right nationalist politics..."

End Quote

Will

BarryBobPosthole
10-14-2020, 10:59 AM
Interesting read indeed. In the past the rising nationalism, or populism, movements in countries have resulted in fascist totalitarianism. we hear it in modern America but its usually a passing ideological phase until the party gets in power and they get a bigger slice of the pie.

I disagree with his example of union teaching professions being paragons of economic security above that of uneducated workers. The author has plainly never been to Oklahoma where teaching is one of the lowest paid and less respected professions there is.

Good food for thought on a hump day!

BKB