PDA

View Full Version : Headline from our local paper today.

Thumper
11-02-2020, 09:11 AM
Demand for concealed carry permits, gun range time soars in Polk (County).

https://www.theledger.com/story/news/local/2020/11/01/demand-concealed-carry-permits-gun-range-time-soars-polk/6067841002/?a=a&utm_source=theledger-Daily%20Briefing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily_briefing&utm_term=hero

Dang! The article says the appointment times for a Concealed Carry Permit are up into January right now (it normally takes a couple of weeks, at most). Gun shops say gun sales have doubled and ammo is becoming a bit difficult to find.

I wonder if people are worried about Biden winning the election and defunding the police and/or tackling the NRA?

I like this quote from a gun shop owner here in town:

"It’s the perfect storm. People are going to protect their stuff. There are a lot of first-time buyers. Even liberals, as hard-headed as they are, are buying guns. They’re not stupid. They see if you have a locality or jurisdiction that is not going to protect its people, what are you going to do? You are going to protect your family and property.”

BarryBobPosthole
11-02-2020, 09:19 AM
Once again the gun industry makes billions off of people’s fears.

BKB

quercus alba
11-02-2020, 10:26 AM
Unlike the medical industry which does nothing but soothe peoples fears

:wink

Thumper
11-02-2020, 10:38 AM
Speaking of fear .... I can see the new bumper stickers now:

Attention you thieving scumbags! If the Covid don't get'cha, my S&W will! ;)

airbud7
11-02-2020, 10:50 AM
Once again the gun industry makes billions off of people’s fears.

BKB

instilling fear in a burglar is a good thing no?

quercus alba
11-02-2020, 11:18 AM
It appears that Covid is something that we're going to have to learn to deal with since it doesn't look like it's going to go away, we're going to have to learn to live with it like the flu, the common cold or any number of contagious bugs. I don't have an answer but quarantine isn't a long term solution. I think some state governors have been a little heavy handed but it's new and they were feeling their way along. Overall it's been handled about as well as could be.

When it comes to instilling fear and causing chaos, the two main culprits are the media and people themselves. If a few of these news papers were charged with inciting a riot or something similar and if found guilty of spreading incendiary lies were fined a hundred million bucks or so then maybe they they were be a little cautious about the content of their local rag. Same with bloggers, tweeters and network news. If you can be sued for slander or defamation of character then why not. Pull a fire alarm in a public building and see what happens, not a lot of difference in my eyes. Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can say anything anytime without consequences.

I realize that it would be difficult if not impossible to do but we need some kind of control, maybe an oversight committee consisting of Posthole, Willie and Airbud and give them cart-blanche authority to MNRA (make news respectable again)

Thumper
11-02-2020, 11:30 AM
WHAT???? P-hole on the committee??? You want to end "fake news" on one hand, then introduce more Liberal media on the other. I think you're getting confused. Besides, then who would Trump have to blame everything for? ;)

BarryBobPosthole
11-02-2020, 01:26 PM
I just think its a damn shame that the guns and ammo industry has taken advantage of fear, of something that has never ever happened in the US by the way, of a gun or ammo grab to take advantage of people.l

And now, if Biden wins, the same thing will happen again. And the gun owners I know will defend them to their dying day.

Hint: they aren’t in business because they love you or the cpuntry or God or the flag. They do it to make money, period.

BKB

quercus alba
11-02-2020, 01:47 PM
WHAT???? P-hole on the committee??? You want to end "fake news" on one hand, then introduce more Liberal media on the other. I think you're getting confused.

The bible was translated more than once by scholars of every creed including atheist and agnostic to guarantee the translators could not slant the meaning in one direction or the other but would be agreed upon as accurate at least as far could be. Hence a left slant, a raging right slant and Willie. When they agreed then you could bet it would be as close to accurate as possible

Thumper
11-02-2020, 03:37 PM
I stand corrected. Your analogies (does that word work here?) went right over my head.

DeputyDog
11-02-2020, 04:13 PM
I just think its a damn shame that the guns and ammo industry has taken advantage of fear, of something that has never ever happened in the US by the way, of a gun or ammo grab to take advantage of people.l

And now, if Biden wins, the same thing will happen again. And the gun owners I know will defend them to their dying day.

Hint: they aren’t in business because they love you or the cpuntry or God or the flag. They do it to make money, period.

BKB

I’d say that the increase in gun and ammo sales has less to do with a fear that they will be taken away and more to do with the fear of rioting, looting, and burning if Trump wins.

The left’s own statements calling for a “street fight” and saying they will “burn down” the system if things don’t go their way might play a role too added to what’s happened across the country this past year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
11-02-2020, 07:40 PM
When you say ‘the left’ you mean me, since I am of that political bent. I plan no insurrections. Nor to I plan to speak of LE people in generalities.

BKB

quercus alba
11-02-2020, 08:14 PM
No insurrections? You're going to fool around and have people thinking you're a moderate and then who would we pick on?

You need to at least burn a couch or two in the streets if you want your reputation to remain intact :devilish:

DeputyDog
11-02-2020, 08:29 PM
I should have been more specific and said radical left then. I don’t include you in that group. Should I?

If they aren’t expecting trouble then why is DC, LA, NYC and other cities getting boarded up storefronts? Is there a hurricane coming that I missed?

Thumper
11-02-2020, 08:36 PM
No hurricane, but hopefully a tidal wave .... a big red one! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
11-02-2020, 08:49 PM
Deppity I’m wondering how the people that do violence and use politics as their excuse can be considered a part of any political party. The criminal party is what I call them.

BKB

DeputyDog
11-02-2020, 09:02 PM
I agree, but politicians (who have a certain party in common) tweeting out shit like this does nothing but incite more violence. (Philadelphia)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201103/148c599f8836118529b0dee1bcb680b1.jpg

DeputyDog
11-02-2020, 09:33 PM
Don’t you like how he says they should be arrested then investigated. Seems kinda backwards to me.

Thumper
11-02-2020, 09:58 PM
... and prosecuted by the Justice Department. Ol’ Bernie already has ‘em convicted.

Trav
11-03-2020, 12:09 AM

BKB

How exactly are they taking advantage of the fear? They simply provide a good people are running out and buying it up. Is the water industry taking advantage of fear right before major storms just because people run out and start hoarding water? What exactly are they doing in your scenario?

BarryBobPosthole
11-03-2020, 01:52 AM
Trav, the original topic we were talking about wasn’t ‘the left’ amd their assault on Western Civilization, but the fact that the gun and ammo industry has fed the fear that the dems are gonna take your guns away. That’s led to well known shortages of ammo and some pretty huge aales of guns too.
Those shortages are fake. Created for the purposes of enrichment. That was my original beef.

And Pat we can tit for tat all day on stupid shit politicians say. What about the Central Park Five? Is it too hardcto just say there are bad people looking to take advantage of situations?

BKB

BarryBobPosthole
11-03-2020, 08:27 AM
And to correct myself, the shortages weren’t fake at as many can attest to. It was the reasons that prompted the runs on them that were fake.

BKB

Thumper
11-03-2020, 09:14 AM
Trav, the original topic we were talking about wasn’t ‘the left’ and their assault on Western Civilization, but the fact that the gun and ammo industry has fed the fear that the dems are gonna take your guns away. BKB

I guess it boils down to what "your guns" means.

According to Biden ....

"You don’t need 30 rounds; you don’t need “20, 30, 40, 50 round clips in a weapon”; you don’t need “magazines that can hold multiple bullets in them”; you don’t need a “magazine with 100 clips in it”; you don’t need an “AR-15”; you don’t need an “AR-14”; and you most definitely don’t need a “weapon of war!" (WTF is an AR-14 anydamnway?)

“If I get elected president of the United States of America, with your help, if that happens, guns, we have the capacity now in a James Bond-style to make sure no one can pull a trigger unless their DNA and fingerprint is on it. We have that capacity to do it now. You know it.”

To avoid political leanings with discussions here, I guess the horse's mouth would be the best approach. Here's BIDEN'S own website outlining his STARTING point on gun control and related issues.
https://joebiden.com/gunsafety/

TBH, I can't really argue with some of them, others are ridiculous. But, I will agree with the old adage, "Give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile." I do believe the idea is to slowly "chip away" at gun rights until there's nothing left to chip away. Personally, I don't care for "military style" weapons. I had to carry one at one point in time, but I could care less about owning one. I honestly don't get the "assault weapon" definition and believe it's nothing but hype perpetuated by the press. My old Remington Model 742 was a 30.06 and came from the factory with choices of 4, 10 or 20-round magazines. This is a "deer" rifle ... but an AR15 is an "assault" rifle and should be banned. They'll both do exactly the same thing ... they just "look" different. But, I'm preaching to the choir here.

The military wears camo fatigues and I see many of these ass-clown mass shooters dress in camo, when will camo be deemed "assault clothing"? It's almost as ridiculous. I have never understood banning a gun because of what it LOOKS like.

Thumper
11-03-2020, 09:20 AM
At least he likes shotguns. ;)

<iframe width="500" height="281" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jafkVM-jnbE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Trav
11-03-2020, 10:16 AM
Trav, the original topic we were talking about wasn’t ‘the left’ amd their assault on Western Civilization, but the fact that the gun and ammo industry has fed the fear that the dems are gonna take your guns away. That’s led to well known shortages of ammo and some pretty huge aales of guns too.
Those shortages are fake. Created for the purposes of enrichment. That was my original beef.

And Pat we can tit for tat all day on stupid shit politicians say. What about the Central Park Five? Is it too hardcto just say there are bad people looking to take advantage of situations?

BKB

I get that but my question is how exactly are they preying on fear, I have not seen one ad, advertisement or statements saying come buy your guns & ammo before the Democrats take them away from ‘the industry”. So in your mind what are they doing to “take advantage”? Now I will admit I have seen political adds with messages like my above statement but nothing I would consider from the guns & ammunition industry.

airbud7
11-03-2020, 11:12 AM
a lot of folks down here simply love guns....from shiny pretty guns to rusted old double barrel shotguns...home protection is just an afterthought...turkey shoots and target practice and are very popular...
the biggest turkey shoot around here is at the local church around Thanksgiving time.

quercus alba
11-03-2020, 11:23 AM
Unlike most gun owners, I'm a hunter not a shooter. I have no desire to go to the rifle range or sheet range and burn through a couple hundred rounds. I want one shot one kill. I will admit that I used to enjoy plinking with a 22 until the shells went up to fifty cents apiece with a nine year wait to get any.