PDA

View Full Version : 45 years ago on this date:

Penguin
11-10-2020, 10:52 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuzTkGyxkYI&list=RDyY3owgUiCtQ&index=10

I'm old enough to remember the song playing on the radio the following year. Damn I'm getting old.

Will

BarryBobPosthole
11-10-2020, 10:57 AM
One of my favorite songs. That whole Summertime Dream album was good. ‘Sundown’ is my other favorite Lightfoot song.

I wonder if the churchbell will wring 29 times in Whitefish Bay today?
BKB

Thumper
11-10-2020, 11:19 AM
Remember it well ... bofe'em ... the wreck and the song.

Chicken Dinner
11-10-2020, 11:20 AM
Love that song. I didn’t realize that the sinking was a contemporary event until a couple of years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
11-10-2020, 11:22 AM
I wonder if the churchbell will wring 29 times in Whitefish Bay today? BKB

Wring your hands, then ring that bell! ;)

Thumper
11-10-2020, 11:24 AM
Love that song. I didn’t realize that the sinking was a contemporary event until a couple of years ago.

Yeah, and if I remember correctly, he wrote the song almost immediately after the sinking.

jb
11-10-2020, 01:37 PM
They ring the bell in Detroit, I was teaching down in the Detroit , remember it well.
6 years ago we went to White Fish Bay point in Feb, temps were around -6 with a strong North wind coming off Superior.
It was very sobering, we were there by our selves, waves crashing on the shore, and knowing just a few miles away lie the wreck.
Love the song.

Penguin
11-11-2020, 09:44 AM
You know I am a boy from the mountains. When this song came out I hadn't been within 500 miles of a great lake. And didn't even lay eyes on one until I lived in Chicago in 2010. I was completely puzzled how a big old boat could sink in a big lake.

Then I saw what Lake Michigan looked like in a driving wind storm when a northern front came through. It scared me and I was just on shore watching it. I can't imagine going out on a ship in that without the threat of serious bodily injury to force me to go. It is just plain wicked.

Will

jb
11-11-2020, 10:17 AM
They had a nice story about it last night on the news. We have the Great Lakes Maritime Academy here in town, and there was as cadet on board the Fitz., they hold there own remembrance here, ring their own bell, very moving.
wind gusts to 80 mph winds and 25' waves took her down.
Here's a picture of a small town near me that I fish out of, took Bucky out on the lake from here many years ago. Just a little wind but most everything stays home when it blows, I think these were rated at 4-5', so you know what 25' would look like