PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving Plans and Decisions

BarryBobPosthole
11-10-2020, 01:01 PM
With our kids spread out like they are its tough to get everyone under the same roof. This Thanksgiving everyone planned to meet here and the whole family has been excited, especially Julie and I as you can imagine.
But covid is spreading like wildfire here in Oklahoma. We’re averaging over 2000 cases/day and our ICU’s are at 100% in Tulsa and have been at 100% since mid October in OKC. If you have a wreck or a heart attack or anything else that requires ICU, you go to the closest city with a bed, not the closest one with the care you need. Surge plans are in operation.
My ex lives in Edmond, which is down by Ok City, and she doesn’t do squat because she believes Covid is fake. She attends a church where they believe God will protect them from covid too. My two kidswere planning to stop there the day before.

We’re very close to bagging it for this year but we’re holding out until the last minute just in case things turn the other way. Not looking good.

What are your family plans this year?

BKB

jb
11-10-2020, 01:43 PM
#2 usually takes his family to the In-law, been that way for years, In-laws for Thanks Giving, us for Christmas.
This year they are staying home, invited us over for the big dinner, (he loves to cook and is very good at it)
#1 is with his In-laws, as is #3, that way they are all over here for Christmas.
Enjoy the day, eat to much, nice afternoon nap along with a football game.

Penguin
11-10-2020, 02:07 PM
Good question.

We usually gather at Mother's place for thanksgiving but she bagged it for this year.... then a week later decided to have the shindig anyway and ask my sister and her bunch to test before coming up. Honestly I don't have a clue. I think I might just cook up a big beef roast with ramps and the works and invite any comers to get in line. :)

It's a tough thing. My poor mother hasn't seen my sister and her bunch since last Christmas. I can tell that she misses them.

Will

Chicken Dinner
11-10-2020, 02:27 PM
We always go to my in-laws, but have canceled for this year. With a college kid coming home, we can’t risk exposing the old dears. I think our general feeling is that with the CV at record numbers we aren’t going to blow up 8 months of trying to do the right thing for one day.

Sucks though as Thanksgiving is probably my favorite holiday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quercus alba
11-10-2020, 02:41 PM
Grand #5 is due to make an appearance the week after Thanksgiving so all plans are on hold, especially since mom and pop are/were hosting.

BTW Posty, I always figured that one of the ways God protects us is by giving us sense enough to take precautions around potential danger.

Big Skyz
11-10-2020, 03:18 PM
I'm actually depressed about Thanksgiving this year. Only one of our kids will be coming home and we have one still at home. The other 4 kids won't be coming. All this is due to Covid. My wife is a nurse in an extended care facility so we can't take any risks. I miss my kids, and I'm really hoping this crap all ends soon. However right now Utah is blowing up with Covid with over 2000 a day and several days this month right around 3000. I expect the school I work at will go back to quarantine to some degree in the near future. Between isolation and the uncertainty of what my job will look like each day...I'm not going to lie, it's starting to get to me. Heck, I'm an anti-social hermit for the most part, and it's getting to me. I can't imagine what this is like for extroverts.

BarryBobPosthole
11-10-2020, 03:27 PM
Grand #5 is due to make an appearance the week after Thanksgiving so all plans are on hold, especially since mom and pop are/were hosting.

BTW Posty, I always figured that one of the ways God protects us is by giving us sense enough to take precautions around potential danger.

Amen, Brother Quercus

jb
11-10-2020, 03:42 PM
Bigsky, thinking back a few year, when the Captain and I were hunting with you, we were going to have Turkey Dinner with you and the family, but a big snow storm was scheduled to blow through our trip home so we left a day early. Really would have loved to have made the dinner.
Memories, such a great pleasure. Wishing you and yours health, happiness, and good fortune. !!11996

Big Skyz
11-10-2020, 03:53 PM
JB you guys did the right thing by getting out'a Dodge so to speak. That was a bad storm. We would have loved to enjoy you and the Captain's company for Thanksgiving, but your well being and safety comes first.

Thumper
11-10-2020, 04:10 PM
Thanksgiving will be about like any other day for us this year. Lynn’s mom’s birthday is 11/12. We go to L. A. for a couple weeks every year around this time. We’d either be there and have a big family gathering for her birthday OR Thanksgiving. The determining factor was which dates had the best airfare. We can’t risk spending time in a minimum (with a direct flight if available) of two major airports (Orlando and LAX), plus cooped up in a plane for a cross country flight, then dropping in on her mom who’s in her 80’s.

DeputyDog
11-10-2020, 04:50 PM
We usually go to Pennsylvania to visit good friends but their daughter has been fighting cancer so that’s out so not sure what the plan will be.

Trav
11-10-2020, 04:58 PM
I will be practicing social distancing deer hunting, I may stop in at a friends but I am still undecided about that.

Chicken Dinner
11-10-2020, 07:00 PM
I already cancelled my trip down to hunt camp for the Opener as well. Too many people in one cabin for my liking given the way this thing is blowing up. I’ll go down a week later when there’s only a small handful of hunters. I’ll still hunt the Opener close to home. But, will really miss the comraderie of hunt camp.

COVID sucks.

BarryBobPosthole
11-10-2020, 08:46 PM
There are lots of people who have to go out every day to do their jobs. I’m lucky I can hinker down.

This year especially, I’m thankful for them all. And I’ll raise a glass to you again from my table on Turkey Day.

Be safe everybody.

BKB

Big Muddy
11-10-2020, 10:54 PM
We have no real family plans set in stone, as yet.....for sure, however, Josie and I will either be in the hunting woods, or on the fishing water, depending on the weather.
She's 11 months old, and learning more things and performing better, each day.....in addition to the squirrels, yesterday in the woods, she brought this shed to me, and dropped it at my feet.....she's gonna be a multi-tasker, for sure. ;)