PDA

View Full Version : Salute to Veterans!

BarryBobPosthole
11-11-2020, 08:18 AM
You know who you are! Thank you one and all for your service to all of us.

My Dad and his three brothers all served as did my grandpa. My Mom’s five brothers all served. My step Dad’s grandpa was a Choctaw code talker in WWI. There’s a long tradition of service in most of our families.
BKB

Thumper
11-11-2020, 09:02 AM
Yep, all of my uncles (WWII) and grandfather on my mom's side served. On my dad's side there were 5 brother's who served WWII, but my dad was the baby and was going to Korea but they had a rule if there was only one child (or something like that, can't remember the details), you could not serve. My mom was pregnant with me at the time. He was a HUGE WWII history buff and always regretted not being able to serve. It really bothered him. BUT, he could probably tell you every detail of every battle and every detail of the equipment used during the war. He read anything and everything related to WWII. When we moved to Memphis, the owner of the Cadillac dealer he worked at was an ex-WWII fighter pilot. He and dad would talk endlessly about the different planes used in the war. One evening he and my dad were in the owner's office and the owner had an old war buddy visiting. He introduced dad as a fellow fighter pilot. Dad's eyes got as big as saucers and he informed them he'd never flown a plane in his life and had never even been in the military! They never believed him as he knew as much, or more, than they did about the planes they actually flew! He was always extremely proud of me but it always bothered me that he felt less of a man for never having served. I have three brothers and all 4 of us served (Army, Army, Navy and Coast Guard).

To all vets, have a great Veteran's Day and thank you for your service.

airbud7
11-11-2020, 09:15 AM
Salute to Veterans!........Thanks!

Chicken Dinner
11-11-2020, 09:33 AM
SALUTE!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
11-11-2020, 10:27 AM
FWIW, I always take advantage of a few of these offers every year.

https://www.thespruce.com/veterans-day-freebies-discounts-4101988

BarryBobPosthole
11-11-2020, 10:45 AM
Good list. And I’m not sure if vets know it, but anybody with a honorable DD214 can shop online at AAFES now too. There are some deals there if you look.

http://www.shopmyexchange.com/browse/%7BCATEGORY_URL_ENDING%7D

BkB

Big Muddy
11-11-2020, 10:53 AM
My Sojourner Org. sent this email out, this morning, and it struck a nerve with me:

"""One way we can think about Veterans Day is to remind all who will listen of the sentiments of a poem written by an Army Veteran and military historian, Charles M. Province, several decades ago""":

“""It is the Soldier, not the minister, who has given us freedom of religion.
It is the Soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press.
It is the Soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.
It is the Soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us freedom to protest.
It is the Soldier, not the lawyer, who has given us the right to a fair trial.
It is the Soldier, not the politician, who has given us the right to vote.
It is the Soldier who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag,
Who allows the protester to burn the flag.”""

DeputyDog
11-11-2020, 08:28 PM
Did anyone see the new mini series that came out on Netflix called “The Liberator”? It’s about a unit of the 45th Division during WWII. They fought in Italy and then went into France and were involved in the battle of the bulge and were the ones that liberated Dachau.

I watched the first episode and the story is really good. The strange thing is that it is done in an animated manner. I read that it was too expensive to do it all live action like they had hoped.

BarryBobPosthole
11-11-2020, 09:01 PM
The 45th is revered here in Oklahoma for its history in both WWII and Korea.

Interesting tidbit, before WWII the unit insignia was a swastika before it was a thunderbird. Also, ten medals of honor from that unit and a bunch more medals.

BKB

DeputyDog
11-11-2020, 09:11 PM
They play up the mix of whites, Hispanics, and Indians in the unit.

It’s really pretty good. It focuses on Felix Sparks. Here is a link to the trailer.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81019775

BarryBobPosthole
11-15-2020, 08:38 AM
I queued up an episode of The Liberator on Friday and dang if I didn’t binge watch the whole shooting match.

That is an interesting way to film a movie. A bit like ‘The 300’. To me that was a distraction for a while but I got hooked by the story early on. Graphic novelish might be a better way of describing the animation.

I suspect many will write it off as a cartoon. I thought it was a great show. Kind of a throwback type of movie even.

BKB

Bwana
11-16-2020, 10:48 AM
Thanks to all here and elsewhere who served.

Thumper
11-16-2020, 11:10 AM
That's much appreciated Bwana. Thank you.