PDA

View Full Version : #56

jb
11-11-2020, 06:23 PM
That's how many years I've bought a deer license. Spent the day with #3 setting up our shooting stations in the woods. Temps were in the low 30, light breeze and some sun, just a nice day to be out.
Sunday is opening day, forecast is snow/rain mix (uuuggg)
We're on private land so getting to your blind at zero-dark thirty isn't that important. We'll usually walk in just a little before daybreak. Mine spot is about 1/4 mile from the truck, down an old deserted two track. Overlooks a nice valley that has lots of scrapes and rubs. Shots are all less than 100 yd's, usually around 50. It's typical old hardwoods, Beech and Maple, travel corridor between a corn field and a small pot hole lake. Our property is 180 acres surrounded by 1000's of acres of National Park about 5 mile from Lake Michigan, lots of room, not heavily hunted.
Our average is a nice buck every few years and does when ever we want one. This year the State has tried something new, a Combo License use to be for two bucks, first one had to be a 6 point or better, second one had to be 8 or better. This year it's the same except you can take a doe with one of them, rather than having to apply for a doe permit. To many deer, need to thin the herd.
Trip report in a few days.

DeputyDog
11-11-2020, 06:29 PM
Good luck and enjoy the time spent afield with the family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chicken Dinner
11-11-2020, 06:57 PM
Good luck. Bubba!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
11-11-2020, 07:27 PM
Sounds like a great spot. Good luck with it and try to wait until you get back home before you take your nap. ;)