PDA

View Full Version : Wish you were here to hang out P-hole ....

Thumper
11-15-2020, 09:38 AM
... 'cause I know you like this sort of stuff. Since we cancelled our out of town trip for this weekend (sick kittycat who's doing much better now), we decided we'd pack a small cooler with munchies and drinks, throw a couple'a lawn chairs in the car, put some fresh batteries in the ol' transistor radio, then head over to the beach to watch the SpaceX launch. It's scheduled for around 7:30 this evening and I love those night launches, so why not? Predicted temp is 75-degrees at launch time, so a nice ringside seat on the beach for a night launch sounds like a good day in my book. Besides, it's free entertainment and I like free stuff! ;)

We were gonna go last night, but some winds kicked up at the booster recovery site and they scrubbed the launch, so it's still on the pad, ready to go tonight, weather permitting.

Thumper
11-15-2020, 06:21 PM
We’re set up with a nice viewing spot. Perfect weather (wearing shorts and t-shirt), nice breeze and sitting directly across from the VAB (Vertical Assembly Building). It’s the big building on the left side of the pic. The launch pad is just to the right of the VAB. We have our cooler sitting between our chairs and kicked back for the wait. We’ve been watching a couple dolphins playing right in front of us, but by time I get my camera up, they’re back under. Couldn’t ask for a nicer evening.

BarryBobPosthole
11-15-2020, 06:32 PM
That is cool as hell Jim! I’d love to do that some time. I lived thhere 3 1/2 years and never went over to see a launch. What I want to see is those boosters land! That ought to be dool at night too.

BKB

Thumper
11-15-2020, 06:47 PM
Yeah, I can’t believe they do that now. Like science fiction stuff. They just turned the lights on on the launch pad and I’m watching a live feed from inside the spacecraft on my cell phone. So far, the clock is still counting down and it looks like the weather is holding out. You just never know if these things will go or not. If this one gets scrubbed, they’ll try again on Wednesday.

Big Muddy
11-15-2020, 07:33 PM
Hey, Thump, their camera scanned the crowd, watching the liftoff.....pretty sure I spotted you.....wearing pink bermuda shorts, holding your pink pussy.....nah, this guy's too skinny. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
11-15-2020, 07:53 PM
I just turned on the live show on Discovery Channel. The two estrogen units said it was stupid. I reminded them of theirweekly Bachelor fests.

BKB

Arty
11-15-2020, 08:18 PM
I just turned on the live show on Discovery Channel. The two estrogen units said it was stupid. I reminded them of theirweekly Bachelor fests.

BKB

So who is he going to pick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
11-15-2020, 08:22 PM
Youse guys need to go get your stools. We have about 5 mins. to liftoff, so I’m gonna be ignoring you for a bit. When I get back, you need to climb up on your stools and be prepared to bite me. ��

Later buttheads. The sky is getting ready to light up big-time!

BarryBobPosthole
11-15-2020, 08:47 PM
They did a great job. I’m glad we’re back in the space bidness. Amd I’m glad a guy with Oklahoma ties is running NASA while we do it.
I’m not in agreement with all of his politics but Bridenstine is doing a good job at NASA and the next president ought to leave him there.

BKB

Thumper
11-15-2020, 11:48 PM
Yessir, I've been a NASA junkie since I was a kid. As a youngin' in school, I never missed a launch. In fact, if it was during school hours, the Principle would pull a fire drill any time there was a launch and we'd all pile out onto the ball field, watch the launch, then he'd call an end to the fire drill and we'd go back to class. Once I got a bit older, a few of us would play hooky and head to the beach to get up close and personal during the launches. If it were during the summer, we'd just camp on the beach and watch. Here's the beach I'd normally hit. You can get right up to the restricted area fence here.

Tonight, we hit a new area that was a lot more laid back and quiet. We may hit the same place next time, not sure. (I didn't take any pics other than the one posted at the top of the thread). Mike Pence was there tonight and had a pretty decent seat.

One thing that was kind of cool tonight. I have a feed on my iPhone that notifies me every time the ISS is passing over and if the weather is clear, I'll just step out on the pool deck and watch it pass over. Tonight I received an alert about 30-40 mins. before the launch and the sky was crystal clear. It was cool to watch the Space Station pass over a half hour before watching a rocket blast off carrying the REPLACEMENT crew for the ISS. I guess NASA is being politically correct. The new crew consists of a woman, a white guy, a black guy and an Asian guy. I guess they don't want anybody bitching. ;)

All in all, it was a nice, enjoyable, relaxing day. We didn't have anything else planned, so why not? Since the Cape is on the "right coast", it's a bit more of a trip than it used to be when I lived in Orlando, but it's still only a 1-1/2 hr. drive from here, so it ain't all that bad.

airbud7
11-16-2020, 08:54 AM
That's cool stuff right there^

Bwana
11-16-2020, 10:56 AM
That would have been REALLY cool to watch.

Years ago we did a family trip to Mouse World (ran into Arty and his clan while there) and toured NASA too. One of the shuttles was on the gantry preparing to make the final shuttle launch and even though we were SO close, the tour guide would not take us close enough to get a decent view. Bummer.

Thumper
11-16-2020, 11:08 AM
Yeah Bwana, I really should go over to the coast for more of them. I can watch them go up from my pool deck, but being there in person is totally different. You get a sense of the power of those rockets when you can feel that rumble in your chest and your whole body vibrates. It can be a real PITA though, especially if you're not flexible with your time. All it takes is a tiny little technical glitch and the launch can be postponed/rescheduled, or at best, delayed. This was to launch on Saturday night. The weather was great at the launch site, but windy at the booster recovery site, so it was moved to Sunday. Luckily they cancelled the flight before we left the house. Last night's launch went off without a hitch ... picture perfect. I think the coolest part was watching the ISS pass overhead, knowing the rocket that's about to launch, will be headed there!

airbud7
11-16-2020, 11:40 AM
I think the coolest part was watching the ISS pass overhead, knowing the rocket that's about to launch, will be headed there!
Well it's not rocket science!....Oh wait?...:D

DeputyDog
11-16-2020, 01:46 PM
My high school math teacher was really a rocket scientist. Before becoming a teacher, he work for NASA at the Jet Propulsion laboratory and worked on the later part of the Mariner project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LJ3
11-16-2020, 05:24 PM
I've only seen one rocket launch, last fall from Wallops in VA. it was cool. You can really sense the power of those things when you see them in person. I think it was a space station resupply mission.

johnboy
11-16-2020, 07:48 PM
Watched it on the tube. Great! Bout time America had your own launch capability again. No more catching rides from the Russkis.

Thumper
11-16-2020, 07:56 PM
There are a bazillion apps out there, but this is the one I have on my phone, if anybody's interested. You can set it up for some cool alerts if you want. I already mentioned I get a notification any time the ISS is passing overhead. As I was waiting for the launch last night, I was on the app watching a live feed from inside the space capsule and workers on the gantry preparing the crew for the flight, etc. etc. It's a cool app imho and has tons of live feeds to watch. I just pulled it out of the Apple App Store, it's free.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/nasa/id334325516

BarryBobPosthole
11-17-2020, 07:44 AM
Well they’re docked and aboard the ISS. Since they’re aboard ISS for six months I wonder if they’ll fly an Army medic up there to vaccinate the whole crew beforetheir mission is over.

BKB

Thumper
11-17-2020, 08:45 AM
Ha! I'm not sure, but I believe they always have a doctor onboard, no positive though. There's no vaccine, so what the heck. I'd assume social distancing would be a bit tough. One thing though, if they're clean to begin with, it's probably the safest place they can be right now!

One fact I learned the other night fascinates me. When they blasted off, I heard they'd be in OBIT in about 8-1/2 minutes! That's incredible and difficult to even imagine the power of those rockets.

BarryBobPosthole
11-17-2020, 09:28 AM
After the first stage dropped off and that single engine lit up and started glowing were you able to watch the speed graphic? It zoomed up to over 22,000 kph and fast. I didn’t see top speed. I read somewhere mach 25?

BKB

airbud7
11-17-2020, 10:28 AM
Now that's shittin and gettin!...hauling ass I tell ya!

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lowres.cartoonstock.com/agriculture-haul_ass-donkey-tow-towing-trucks-dre1048_low.jpg

airbud7
11-17-2020, 10:29 AM
Now that's shittin and gettin!...hauling ass I tell ya!

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lowres.cartoonstock.com/agriculture-haul_ass-donkey-tow-towing-trucks-dre1048_low.jpg

oh wait!

https://ih1.redbubble.net/image.559177402.2452/fposter,small,wall_texture,product,750x1000.u3.jpg

Thumper
11-17-2020, 11:19 AM
After the first stage dropped off and that single engine lit up and started glowing were you able to watch the speed graphic? It zoomed up to over 22,000 kph and fast. I didn’t see top speed. I read somewhere mach 25? BKB

At that point, I was physically watching the action, so I wasn’t paying attention to the app. I did see the separation as it occurred and it sure lit up the sky when the 2nd stage kicked in.

BarryBobPosthole
11-17-2020, 12:16 PM
The cowling on that engine went from blue to orange to white hot. I don’t know what its made of butI don’t see how it didn’t melt right off.

BKB