PDA

View Full Version : Ha ha ha! That's one way to do it!

Thumper
11-18-2020, 08:07 PM
I have an eBay package that I shipped by FedEx. I just checked the tracking to see how far along it's gotten and wondered why it took a full day to go from Jackson MS to Memphis TN. Then I realized it isn't Memphis TN, it's Memphis TEXAS. I'd never heard of Memphis Texas, so decided to Google it. It sounds like a cool little town with an interesting history. Nothing earth-shattering, just interesting. I did get a couple of chuckles while reading up on Memphis though. The town was established in 1879 and here's how it got it's name:

For a time, the new town was without a name. Several suggestions were submitted to federal postal authorities, but with negative results. Finally, as the story goes, Reverend Brice, while in Austin, happened to see a letter addressed by accident to Memphis, Texas, rather than Tennessee, with the notation "no such town in Texas". The name was submitted and accepted, and a post office was established on September 12, 1890.

But the real kicker is how they gained themselves a spot on the map!

It all started in 1889, when J. C. Montgomery purchased land for a townsite north of Salisbury on the Fort Worth and Denver City Railway. In the meantime, Hall County was being organized. Memphis was engaged in a heated county seat battle with neighboring Salisbury and Lakeview. Memphis won the election with a total of 84 votes. County officers were elected in June, and a school district was subsequently formed. Since Memphis was without a depot and trains did not stop there, certain citizens sought to remedy that situation by smearing the tracks with lye soap. A subsequent agreement was struck between town promoters and railroad officials. In 1891, a depot was built, and businesses were moved on wheels from Salisbury to the new county seat, where a courthouse of homemade bricks was constructed in 1892.

It's also mentioned in the chronology section of the town's establishment:

1891: Depot built after Memphians kept putting soap on rails to stop trains

Now that's called ingenuity! :thumbsup

Chicken Dinner
11-18-2020, 09:25 PM
I just ordered a new holster for my 380 and I was wondering why it was taking a week to get to me and it turns out it’s coming from Turkey. It started in Istanbul on Monday afternoon and had already gone through Belgium and is now sitting at the airport in Paris. Gotta live free Prime shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
11-18-2020, 10:16 PM
A Turkish holster eh? Sounds like a euphemism for something nasty.

BKB

Thumper
11-18-2020, 11:25 PM
Getting ready for turkey season?

LJ3
11-19-2020, 12:05 PM
The Turkish holster is when Arty rubs large Turkish coffee grounds all over his hands and gives you a reach around while reciting the Koran.

Thumper
11-19-2020, 01:13 PM
Typical Good Hunting. I post about the interesting history of a tiny town in Texas and in exactly ONE response, the subject turns to handgun holsters and Islamic reach-arounds. :banghead

LJ3
11-20-2020, 11:26 AM
Thta's an excellent band name, Jimmy!

Ladies and gennlemen... put your hands together for the Islamic Reacharounds!

Thumper
11-20-2020, 11:49 AM
I guess it would beat "The Goat-Fuckers". ;)

LJ3
11-20-2020, 12:04 PM
That's the first album title, duh :D

Arty
11-20-2020, 12:35 PM
The Turkish holster is when Arty rubs large Turkish coffee grounds all over his hands and gives you a reach around while reciting the Koran.

Say huh?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
11-20-2020, 01:23 PM
Can you tell Tic Boy was really stretching for that one?

BKB

Thumper
11-20-2020, 01:37 PM
Can you tell Tic Boy was really stretching for that one? BKB

You mean "reaching"? ;)

BarryBobPosthole
11-20-2020, 01:45 PM
:slap