PDA

View Full Version : Its Still a Phord but....

BarryBobPosthole
11-19-2020, 08:08 AM
https://www.foxnews.com/auto/test-drive-2021-ford-f-150-powerboost-hybrid

This hybrid powerboost looks interesting. DD and I were talking earlier about this technology being used in F1 and Grand prix racing. Trailering in hills and mountains might be someplace that’d be handy. And 24 mpg!

Still, too many sensors and too much ‘junk’ on this pickup for me. But its pretty cool! Even for a Ford.

How long before we have ‘drive by wire’? How long will Ford dosoftware upgrades on all the shit loaded on this truck?

BKB

DeputyDog
11-19-2020, 10:01 AM
The use of hybrid technology is going to change the vehicle industry. The question is how soon? Is the clock ticking on the internal combustion engine, and how fast is it ticking?

A lot of the racing series are asking this same question. There is already the Formula E series which races all electric cars. Several manufacturers run hybrids in rally racing and sports cars. Formula 1 uses KERS which is a kinetic energy recovery system that store’s energy recovered under braking to use during acceleration. INDYCAR is also looking at some type of hybrid tech when they introduce their new engine regulations for 2023.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
11-19-2020, 10:13 AM
The use of hybrid technology is going to change the vehicle industry. The question is how soon? Is the clock ticking on the internal combustion engine, and how fast is it ticking?

According to Joe and Kamala, hybrids are big polluters.

DeputyDog
11-19-2020, 10:17 AM
Well, the Governor of California already signed an executive order banning the sale of new gas engine vehicles within 15 years.

Will the all electric tech be improved by then to make it practical?

BarryBobPosthole
11-19-2020, 10:29 AM
According to Joe and Kamala, hybrids are big polluters.

Can you show me that one? Their platform calls for making charging stations available all over the US and to change over the US gov fleet. They want to make it easier for electriv vehicles to be successful. I’m sure you can hang on to your gas guzzler if you want.
Gas and diesel engines will be a part of our lives for the forseeable future. But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t make investments in new power tech.

I’m wonderingwhere all the damn lithium is going to come from and what are the environmental consequences of mining it. I’m not at all sure electric cars won’t get some competition from CNG and Hydrogen powered combustion engines in thefuture. I hope to see cng stations expanded too. That’ll likely be my next move if I ever need a new truck.

BKB

Thumper
11-19-2020, 10:31 AM
Well, there are close to 200,000 gas stations in the U.S. I have no clue how many charging stations we'd need. I sure would be nervous being an off-roader and really getting into the deep back country. In my off-roading days, I always carried a Jerry can of extra gas, I couldn't imaging hauling extra batteries! Maybe cars will come with solar panels, but just don't get caught under trees or extended cloud cover. I know electric bikes are big now, how 'bout electric boats and motorcycles, etc?

I wonder if Biden would feel comfortable whizzing around the country in an all-electric Air Force One? :hair

BarryBobPosthole
11-19-2020, 10:33 AM
Electricity and water don’t mix. So you can keep your battery powered boat.

I guess you won’t behappy until there is a solution that covers every base, huh.

We can always find ten reasons why weshouldn’t do something. Besides, I wouldn’t want to get that far away from a tow truck with that hybridFord.

Sheesh.

BKB

Thumper
11-19-2020, 10:34 AM
Can you show me that one? BKB

I doubt it exists, I used "poetic license" there. He wants ZERO emissions ... I can't see that happening with a gas/electric hybrid.

DeputyDog
11-19-2020, 10:35 AM
It’s not just the mining of the lithium but what about the disposal of worn out batteries? I’m sure there would be recycling but there will still be some nasty waste generated.

Thumper
11-19-2020, 10:36 AM
Electricity and water don’t mix. So you can keep your battery powered boat.

I guess you won’t behappy until there is a solution that covers every base, huh.

We can always find ten reasons why weshouldn’t do something. Besides, I wouldn’t want to get that far away from a tow truck with that hybridFord. Sheesh. BKB

Awww, don't get your panties in a wad. I'm just pot-stirring. :stirthepot

You're getting way too easy to set off in your old age. ;)

TBH, I got a bit excited about the hydrogen technology a few years back.

http://www.goodhunting.info/showthread.php?10711-Really-Interesting-Technology&highlight=hydrogen+toyota

Here's one of my posts from 2016 when we were discussing our Thanksgivings (we were in California)

Man, I couldn't begin to list everything we had here. Lynn nailed it on the 21+ lb. bird. We only had 11 people here (counting the kids), but that pretty much nailed down every spot at the big 'ol family table. It was a great day and I got to have fun playing with the kiddies. What makes that even more fun is the fact I knew they'd all be going home at the end of the evening.

'Course, when it comes to adults, Lynn's brother and I always hook up and have some good (more intellectual) conversations. He's worked for Toyota (Corporate) as an engineer for Lexus for close to 40 years. He was driving a hydrogen car yesterday and it was kinda cool to spend some time with it. The dang thing seems to have more (or at least equal) "get up and go" compared to traditional cars, plus gets 320 miles to a tank full. Kinda cool and the only thing that comes out'ta the exhaust is H2O (not like a Stanley Steamer, ya' can't even see it).

Overall, a great visit.

BarryBobPosthole
11-19-2020, 10:51 AM
My panties aren’t in a wad, Goober.

Hydrogen has tons of promise. They’re gonna use it to fly to Mars. Mined from the water that’s on the Moon.

So I wonder, if we mine a bunch of crap off the moon will it just fly out of orbit? Do we know what will happen?

BKB

Thumper
11-19-2020, 11:09 AM
We'll run a cable up there and anchor it to Earth.

Wait 'til one of those rovers discovers mountains of diamonds on the moon ... or gold ... or whatever. Would that kill the value on earth, or would mining costs be prohibitive? So many questions, so few answers. ;)

DeputyDog
11-19-2020, 11:17 AM
If they do, it’s a good thing the USA owns it.

We do right? Didn’t we lay claim to it by being the first to plant our flag there? Or is that just “unwoke” colonialism talking?

BarryBobPosthole
11-19-2020, 12:18 PM
DD is gonna be trotting out the old Manifest Destiny argument here in a minute.

BKB

DeputyDog
11-19-2020, 12:28 PM
Exactly. If God didn’t want the good ole USA [emoji631] to have possession of the moon then he would have let the Russians get there first.

Thumper
11-19-2020, 01:01 PM
Does a human have to plant the flag? Haven't we landed about a half dozen rovers on Mars over the last 15 years or so? I don't think anyone else has, have they? I'm sure our rovers have US flags on them. Do we own Mars?

BarryBobPosthole
11-19-2020, 03:19 PM
I wonder if those rovers are armed?

BKB

Thumper
11-19-2020, 03:24 PM
I read an article a while back that said there are no weapons in space, but there are, of course, weapons "monitoring" satellites.

Also, all joking aside about owning the moon, etc, there is some sort of treaty signed by about every nation on earth that no country can claim any celestial body (or something like that). I'm not sure about the natural resources. Seems if nobody owns it, the resources would be fair game. First come, first served.

Thumper
11-19-2020, 03:40 PM
Well, I just asked my good friend Google. It seems there's actually and Outer Space Treaty! It appears #3 would answer the "who owns the moon/Mars question.

The Outer Space Treaty states:

1) The exploration and use of outer space shall be carried out for the benefit and in the interests of all nations and shall be the province of all humankind.

2) Outer space shall be free for exploration and use by all countries.

3) Outer space is not subject to national appropriation or ownership.

4) States shall not place nuclear weapons or other weapons of mass destruction in outer space.

5) The Moon and other celestial bodies shall be used exclusively for peaceful purposes.

6) Astronauts are regarded as representatives of humanity by all nations, and shall be given all possible assistance in the event of accident or emergency.

7) States shall be responsible for national space activities, whether carried out by governmental or non-governmental entities.

8) States shall be liable for damage caused by their space objects.

9) States shall retain ownership and jurisdiction over any object they launch into outer space.

10) States shall avoid harmful contamination of space and celestial bodies.

Ha! The treaty was adopted in 1967. It seems Reagan's Star Wars program would have gone against #4. Or maybe "defensive" weapons are ok? I wonder if all that "space junk" flying around up there would fall under #10?

BarryBobPosthole
11-19-2020, 04:21 PM
I grew up on science fiction in the 60’s and 70’s and had a far different expectation of space travel.
BKB

DeputyDog
11-19-2020, 04:42 PM
Wasn’t Reagan’s whole Star Wars thing more of a way to get the Soviets to bankrupt themselves trying to counter it than a serious plan to weaponize space?

Thumper
11-19-2020, 05:40 PM
Not sure about the planned financial damage, but I believe it was strictly defensive weaponry. If the Ruskies launched a nuke toward the US, we wanted to blow it out if the sky before it could get there. But, now that I write that, I’m not sure it makes sense. Heck, I’d have to ask my good friend Google as my memory isn’t very reliable these days.

BarryBobPosthole
11-19-2020, 06:35 PM
Nope, DD is right. It drove them to insolvency trying to keep up with Ronnie Raygun’s big projects. The people just wouldn’t supportit any more.

BKB