PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Feel About Old Dobbin on a Bun?

BarryBobPosthole
02-15-2013, 03:19 PM
England and Ireland have recently been rocked by a number of food scandals involving a very taboo and unappealing animal product – horse meat.

In January, 10 out of 27 burgers from retail outlets in Ireland tested positive for horse DNA when analyzed by the Food Safety Authority of Ireland. And now, a recent report from the British government found that eight horses killed in the England tested positive for bute, a common veterinary painkiller – and six of the carcasses may have entered the food chain in France.

As a result, the European Commission is amping up their DNA testing of meat products, to better determine what exactly is going into beef sold in the U.K.

As most in the Britain and the United States are staunchly opposed to the slaughter and consumption of horse meat, the recent controversy has many people concerned that burgers they’ve consumed may have been made with horse and not fully made with beef.

But why are so many opposed to eating horses? Is it really all that bad to eat?

Ironically, nutrition experts say that despite the taboo surrounding eating horses, their meat can actually be a much healthier source of protein than more common forms of meat.

“It’s like a game kind of meat,” Martha McKittrick, a registered dietician in New York City and blogger at CityGirlBites.com, told FoxNews.com. “Like buffalo meat, it tends to have more muscle, so it has less fat…It’s also pretty high in protein and high in iron.”

“That said, it’s very disturbing,” McKittrick added, who does not advocate eating horse meat.

“Professionally speaking, it’s a much better alternative than beef,” Esther Blum, a registered dietitian and holistic nutritionist in New York City, told FoxNews.com. “Because with conventionally raised beef, the animals are fed soy, corn and grains, which makes them pro-inflammatory. Whereas with horses, they are definitely a leaner meat and not exposed to hormones or antibiotics.”

Blum also noted that many pesticides that cows ingest contain obesogens, chemical compounds that disrupt the endocrine system and ultimately lead to obesity. Pastured horses that graze on grass don’t ultimately consume the same obesogens. However, Blum said horse meat quality often depends on how the horses are fed.

While it may seem strange to many Americans, horse meat is sold and consumed in many countries all over the world. According to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), China is one of the biggest consumers of horse meat, as inhabitants often dry it for sausages or serve it in dishes made with rice noodles. The FAO estimates that Kazakhstan is the second biggest horse meat consumer – as the horse is integral to the country’s diet.

Not only is eating horse meat a common practice in Asia and parts of Europe, some countries consider the meat product to be a delicacy, sold in the same vein of delicacy meats such as veal. The meat tastes like a mixture of beef and venison and has a sweet flavor.

The taboo surrounding eating horse meat is mostly limited to the U.K. and the U.S. In 2006, Congress effectively banned the slaughter of horses by eliminating the funding of horse meat inspectors. Thus, horse slaughter plants were forced to close their doors. Before the ban, eating horse meat was certainly frowned upon, but the meat product could sometimes be found in upscale restaurants.

In late 2011, lawmakers restored funding to horse meat inspectors. The move was in response to a report from the Government Accountability Office, which found that the 2006 ban had caused prices for cheap live horse to drop considerably – leading to an increase in horse neglect, abuse and abandonment.

Currently, Oklahoma, California and Mississippi ban the sale of horse meat for human consumption, and Illinois prohibits the slaughter of horses for food. Texas has had a law since 1949 banning the sale of horse meat for consumption; however, the state was once home to one of the last remaining horse slaughter houses – which finally closed in 2007.

One of the main reasons given for the opposition to eating horse meat is that the practice is “cruel and unnecessary.” Many animal rights groups argue that horses transported for slaughter often travel in terrible conditions and are exposed to poor food, water and sleep.

But perhaps the ultimate explanation at the heart of people’s hostility towards horse meat consumption is that many regard the horse to be a higher caliber of animal than that of a cow, pig or chicken.

“It’s the perception of what the animal represents in a given culture,” Dr. Dale Archer, a board-certified psychiatrist and Distinguished Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association, told FoxNews.com. “A dog is man’s best friend, and how can you eat man’s best friend? No one thinks of a cow as a companion.”

“It’s not a logical response overall,” Archer added. “No one’s thinking logically that it’s wrong; it’s an emotional reaction that occurs because of your perception of what a horse represents versus what a cow represents.”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/02/15/beyond-taboo-is-horse-meat-really-that-bad-to-eat/?intcmp=features#ixzz2Kzsg2Fgh

jb
02-15-2013, 03:55 PM
My MIL told many stories about eating horse meat while she and my FIL were stationed in TX during the war.
He was a LT in the army and on several occasions they and the neighbors would have that at a dinner party.
She said it was pretty good meat.
I think it's a lot like venison, if you don't tell people what they are eating, they'll usually like it.

BarryBobPosthole
02-15-2013, 04:33 PM
For all the reasons people don't think horses should be slaughtered for meat, cattle shouldn't be either if you use their reasoning.

BKB

HideHunter
02-15-2013, 04:34 PM
I'd sure like to try it.

Chicken Dinner
02-15-2013, 05:11 PM
I see no reason horses shouldn't be slaughtered fir human consumption. Does that make me unfeeling?

BarryBobPosthole
02-15-2013, 05:18 PM
Kind of eliminates you from a position as a jockey.

BKB

HideHunter
02-15-2013, 05:19 PM
Thing is CD.. A lot of the "horse" people agree with you. When a horse got past its prime they used to send them to market. Now they have no place to go with them.

BarryBobPosthole
02-15-2013, 05:22 PM
As long as they don't pen 'em up in CAFO's and ruin the very reason they would be good to eat, that is grass fed, no hormones and all that junk, then I'm good with it.

Be kind of hard to look Mr Ed in the eye afterwards though.

BKB

Buckrub
02-15-2013, 09:35 PM
Ugh.

Don't nobody ride cows and herd cows. Cows don't usually get names.

Cows are edible. Horses ain't. It's wrote down somewhere.

BarryBobPosthole
02-16-2013, 01:24 AM
I've never seen a cow stomp its foot to do arithmetic either. That ought to count for something.
BKB

HideHunter
02-16-2013, 11:19 AM
Hate horses.. As an old cowboy friend of mine says, "A horse don't really want to kill you all at once. He just wants to hurt you a little every day".

Chicken Dinner
02-16-2013, 11:21 AM
Other than humans, meat is meat.

BarryBobPosthole
02-16-2013, 12:17 PM
I suppose if it were up to you guys, when Little Joe asked what that great steak was, Hop Sing would say "cochise!"

That just ain't right.

BKB

Gunther
02-17-2013, 09:47 PM
That's my Sugar by me with her colt Randy. I've heard it said a man is lucky if he gets one good horse and one good dog in his life. Had a couple three good dogs. Had a couple few good horses too. So I is at least double lucky I reckon. But she was the best nag I ever swung a leg over. Wish I still had her and her get.

That being said, I might not eat a horse but when it was illegal to slaughter them well, it was the dumbest damn thing I ever heard.

hotshot
02-18-2013, 12:26 AM
maybe we could butcher the ones that need butchering... sell them to China. Take a few thousand off the national debt?
I think in Canada you can get a delicacy of horse mane.... kinda like pure fat. heated, sliced thin, I think it is eaten on toast?????
Saw it on one of the wierd food shows on TV.

Sunshine
02-18-2013, 12:32 AM
Growing up, we had 11 horses.
Passo's both Columbium and Peruvian, a pacer and a couple bush pony's.
I had a bush pony that was part quarter horse and local bush pony.

She had the wide neck, big ass and strength in her legs like a quarter horse.
She was half blind, when I got her at the age of 21.
Spent hours, teaching her to jump by me saying "Up"! Up meant jump over now!!

She trusted me 100%.

We showed in both English and western competition.

She'd get so spun up, heading toward the arena, that I had to back her all the way to the start line.

Once timer said go, she'd flip around and I just held on for dear life.

She cut those barrels and poles, so close, sometimes I'd have to pull my foot out of the stirrup and sling it backward to keep from knocking them over.

One event was called Keyhole!
They used chalk to make two straight lines, you had to stay inside, that joined by a big circle. Like a keyhole.

Had to run down there, as fast as you can, then turn around and run back to starting line, without stepping out of the Chalk.

There was a cool trophy for that event and that morning I whispered, to my horse, I'd really like to have that one!!!!

Well we were at the start line ( standing backward to it).
Timer said go and around she came. Holding on, with my heart racing, we flew between those lines.
I sat back in my saddle, pulling the reins to stop her and she slid into the circle.
Flipped around and I just held on.
Fastest I'd ever felt her run across that finish line.
She won that trophy for me and I still have it!!!

I bred her and she had a filly. Owned them through junior high and High school.

Hated to sell them, but I wasn't able to spend as much time with them.

I kept in contact with the new owners and before leaving Panama, I went to see them.

When I walked up to my older one, I whispered her name and she knew me.
When I asked her if she wanted the grass, she shook her head yes. I taught her that!!

I don't know how long she lived, but years later the owner of the filly contacted me.
Sent me a picture of her in a jumping class at a championship show.

I miss them and have many happy thoughts about them.

I could never eat one!!!

Thumper
02-18-2013, 08:24 AM
Great story Sunny! But ... I think we're blurring the line between pets and food stock here. I had a friend years ago who had a pot-bellied pig as a pet. I'd joke about the bacon and pork chops running around his house and he'd get pissed at me. My Ohio hunting buddy raised a beef for meat once and his bro-in-law (they all live on the family farm) grew attached to it .. named it Roscoe. Once butchering time came around, the ol' BIL had become attached. I was there the day we were having a bit of ol' Roscoe for lunch when the BIL walked in (he ALWAYS seemed to drop by when there was food on the table)! My buddy told him to sit down and have a Roscoe burger with us. BIL left the house ... I thought that big ol' farm boy was gonna cry! What makes it even funnier, the BIL is a HUGE dude ... a "tough" old farmboy everyone calls "Moose". His name is Keith ... but I've known him 30 years and I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone call him "Keith" ... only "Moose".

The point is ... Ol' Roscoe was a frigging "cow" ... beef ... something VERY few of us have a problem eating ... even "Moose" ... except for Roscoe that is. I've had dog in Asia ... it's good stuff actually. They weren't someone's pet we were eating. In fact, the Chinese raise dog meat for human consumption. I'm not sure what breed I've eaten, but I've heard that St. Bernard is some of the best meat there is. Seriously. Ya' just don't want to eat the ones with the little whiskey keg hangin' on their neck!

Don't we laugh at those goofy Hindu's who are starving to death on the streets while all those cows walk around them untouched? We think it's silly knowing that people of Islam and Judaism faith won't touch pork ... we make jokes about it. Why do those things sound so goofy to us when we shudder at the thought of eating a horse or dog? We think it's silly when it's actually part of THEIR religion ... yet we shudder at eating a "pet". Silly, hypocritic Americans! ;)