PDA

View Full Version : Cadillac and the Corona vaccine (Thump post warning)

Thumper
12-05-2020, 11:36 AM
Years ago, I became suspicious of certain new items. It came from my bad experiences in the automotive industry and I've had a hard time shaking it through the years. It's also the reason I'm a bit stand-offish about this new Corona virus vaccine.

I grew up a GM fan, was a gearhead from as early as I can remember and eventually worked for GM for many years, 11 of those years in management ... ALWAYS with Cadillac (which included a few multi-line dealers). I'm going to refer back to why I walked away from that promising career. Cadillac used to be the ultimate status symbol, before the proliferation of luxury foreign models (Mercedes, BMW, etc). BUT, the popularity of foreign luxury cars was because people were tired of the garbage GM was stuffing down their throats. We somehow pulled through the oil crisis of '73, but I was in the military and missed most of it. I did notice, upon my return home, that the Japanese cars were becoming extremely popular and I actually ended up buying one due to the shock I experienced when I found gas was $1.00/gallon! (I was paying 17.9 cents/gal for regular and 19.9 cents/gallon for premium when I entered the service, then spent my whole tour overseas) The GM fat cats sat on their asses and could care less because they KNEW that the "stupid" US market would never turn away from domestic cars and GM was King of the domestic market, BUT there was an inkling of concern. After the 70's oil crisis, diesel was gaining popularity with diesel Mercedes, VW and Peugeot leading the way. Cadillac decided to fight back. They rushed into the diesel market by taking a frigging GAS Oldsmobile engine and converting it to diesel. A total failure and engines were blowing up so rapidly we ran out of parking at the dealership due to being full of dead diesels. Ok, THIS is America's premier luxury car?? What a joke. Remember, these were the days of 12 mo./12,000 mi. warranties on new cars. Due to a class action suit, GM ended up reimbursing owners 80% of the cost of a new engine if out of warranty. Considering the original most likely didn't live past 8000-9000 miles, the 80% replacement was usually these folks' second time around. Most of that money was used to convert to a gas engine replacement.

Enter the second oil crisis of '79-'80. That FINALLY rattled the GM hierarchy enough to throw them into panic mode. For the '81 model year, they came out with THREE engine options for Cadillac. One of those was the infamous Cadillac V8-6-4 which was rushed into production with minimal testing. It was a dismal failure and only lasted ONE model year, 1981. ONE year! It was that bad. Option two was the above mentioned diesel. Ha! Option three was an anemic little 6-cyl Buick engine. That did really well in a Cadillac land barge ... NOT!! Ok, Cadillac went into full overtime, scramble mode! The result? An engine they had started development on for the '85 model line! The HT4100, then rushed it into production to "save" Cadillac from the disaster they'd imposed upon themselves the previous year. The HT 4100 (HT, for High Technology and 4100 because it was 4.1 liter displacement) was an aluminum block with cast iron heads and cylinder sleeves! Brilliant! First of all, cast iron and aluminum heat and cool at different rates so there was a lot of warping going on. If that didn't cause head gaskets to leak, the fact the head bolts were screwed into the aluminum block was a death knoll. You could expect blown head gaskets within 6k - 8k on the odometer (about as long as the diesel option would last). Of course there was the "domino effect". Blown head gaskets meant water in the oil, water in the oil meant ... well, bearings and an oil/coolant mixture don't get along very well, so we had a huge High Tech dumpster full of "High Tech" engines! Oh, an interesting tidbit, the HT4100 lasted a few more years until being replaced with the Northstar engine, but interestingly, the HT designation was dropped. (I guess they decided the "high tech" designation was a bit embarrassing). Yep, more top of the GM line quality. Did I mention that was 1982, the year after the 8-6-4 / diesel / 6-cyl. fiasco? Minimal testing, dismal failures.

But, I ain't finished yet. During this time, the factory gave me a Cadillac Cimarron to drive. One of the head engineers with Cadillac handed me the keys, told me to "drive it like I stole it" and "see if I could break it", then get back to him. I did just that and even took the "see if I can break it" part seriously. I had a field day on some empty shopping center parking lots on a few early Sunday mornings. I'll give credit where credit is due, I couldn't break it, BUT ... with that underpowered slug, wtf was gonna break? To make matters worse, it wasn't even a Cadillac, it was a GM J body car (read; Buick Skyhawk, Chevrolet Monza/Cavalier, Olds Firenza, Pontiac J2000/Sunbird/Sunfire) with Cadillac badges glued on. THIS is a Cadillac?? I guess my few months of "testing" was testament to it's bullet-proof reliability. At it's introduction for 1982, it was presented as Cadillac's "World Car", meaning it was here to beat out the likes of the entry level BMW 3-series, etc. Cadillac's entry level car to convert new, younger, drivers. Sorry dickheads, they didn't fall for it. Maybe you should have done a bit of MARKET TESTING before dragging that poor excuse for a luxury car into the real world. My downfall was, I was a speaker at that introduction. It was not public, just dealers and their management, factory big-wigs and engineers, that sort of b/s. When I spoke, I was honest and they didn't like what I had to say in the least. I predicted that, with the pieces of shit GM was offering the public, the imports were going to take over the market, INCLUDING the luxury market. Hey, they didn't tell me what I had to say, right? Let's just say, I didn't make a whole lot of brownie points at that meeting.

What does all that jibberish mean? It's simply an explanation as to why I'm reluctant to immediately jump on board with this virus vaccine. I've experienced firsthand what can happen when something is rushed into production without proper testing. But, on the other hand, what choices do we have? Wait around and possibly come down with Covid during the interim? It's a coin toss right now. Admittedly, I'll probably get it when it's made available to me, but I have reservations. I think I'd rather sit tight for a short while and let the first group be the guinea pigs for the initial introduction, then ease into it when I feel comfortable.

jb
12-05-2020, 02:31 PM
I bought one of those gas/diesel engines in a new Chevy, station wagon, you know the one with the vinyl wood wallpaper.
Beautiful wagon, OK to drive except the engine sounded like a tincan full of marbles. You were right, it lasted about 9K miles.
Ended up putting in a regular 350 gas engine and selling it. Up until I bought that Chevy, I was a solid Ford man, didn't take me long to go back to Ford, then the wife started to buy Yota's but I stuck with my Ford. Still drive one today (2017 Explorier) wife has a 2018 GMC Terrain
Other than the two Yota's for the wife, my only other foreign car was my 03 BMW Z4( which turned out to be the most trouble free car I ever owned, and I owned that one for 17 years) Sold that one this fall, manual 5 speed was hard on my arthritis.
My replacement fun car is now a Jaguar, XK, I have only had it a few weeks before I put it away for the winter but boy was it fun. I see a lot of mixed reviews on that car line, I'm told I need to keep up with their maintenance requirements as it's like a fine lady, "high maintenance" but only time will tell if it's as good as the Bimmer was.
As for the Covid shot, right now I have a "wait and see" attitude,

Thumper
12-06-2020, 09:55 AM
I bought my first Japanese car in 1975, a few days after I got out of the service. I'd never in a million years thought I'd do that, but I was in a bit of a panic and a little bewildered. I'd spent my last 3-1/2 years in a jungle setting and had no clue how the fuel crisis had changed the world until I read a Motor Trend magazine on my flight home. I knew one of the first things I had to do once my feet hit the ground, was to buy a car. The magazine article informed me the Datsun B210 was the fuel mileage king at 32 mpg, but I just couldn't stand the thought of buying a dang "Jap Car". I headed straight to the Chevy dealer. I explained what I wanted .... FUEL MILEAGE and to maximize that requirement, I wanted a manual transmission. They tried to put me into a Vega (another GM fiasco). Luckily, I couldn't even fit into the dang thing (and I was skinny then!). So, they "upgraded" me to a Monza (another GM loser, but what did I know back then?). The first one, I could get into, but I couldn't work the clutch pedal because my knee was blocked by the steering wheel ... so they brought me another one with a tilt steering column. The only way I could drive it was to flip the steering wheel straight up and twist my leg sideways, but I thought I might be able to learn to live with it. So, once I decided to get down to the brass tacks, I started asking technical questions about the car (remember, I was a gearhead and very mechanically inclined). The salesman avoided answering ANY of my questions (and it was obvious it was because he was clueless), but instead rattled off a bunch of gobblety-gook that sounded like he'd simply memorized the sales brochure.

As this useless information spilled out of his mouth, I noticed the Datsun dealer was straight across the street. I told the guy thanks, but no thanks, then as he watched, I walked across the street and into the Datsun dealer's door. I told them my situation, that I'd read about the B210, and I thought I'd like to try one out. He told me they were selling as fast as they were coming in and he had NONE in stock, but he had a demo I could drive. Somehow, I fit into it and actually liked that little car. We went inside, he checked the records and informed me they were getting a truckload of B210's in the following day, BUT ... every car on the truck had already been pre-sold except for one. It was blue (my favorite color), had a stick (just what I'd wanted) and was a hatchback (exactly the car I wanted, although the demo I'd driven was a sedan). I gave him a deposit and told him I'd be there the next day to pick it up. I was there bright and early the next morning, the truck came in around 10:00 am and my car was on it. By time I'd bought the car, the truck had unloaded and I told the salesman I was ready to get out of there. He informed me it just came off the truck and hadn't been processed yet (serviced and readied for delivery). I told him I'd take it right now and bring it back for anything that needed to be done. Some guy came out of the service department, pounded the hubcaps on with a rubber hammer, pulled the plastic seat covers out of the car, the salesman handed me the keys and off I went! The truck hadn't even left yet! The crazy part? That car NEVER, not once, went back to ANY dealer. It was perfect and had NO flaws as far as I could tell. I sold it to a buddy of mine 14 years later with 300,000 miles on the odometer and the last I talked to him (after he'd had it for 2 years), it was still going strong. I never babied that car and even used it to tow my trailer as I was racing motorcycles in those days. To make matters worse, I was a desert racer, so I treated that car like a truck as I had to drag that trailer loaded with 2 bikes, fuel, water and all my camping gear, tools, etc. across some very primitive and rocky dirt trails to our gathering areas and many of those were in Baja Mexico. It never failed me, ever. I finally bought my first Toyota pick-up in 1981. I kept the Datsun until I moved to Florida in '89 (when I sold it to my buddy), but towed the Toyota to Florida with me.

I started my business and one of my accounts was the phosphate mines in the area. We cleaned the heavy equipment in the mines before they'd service them. I'm talking everything from draglines, to locomotives, to D10 dozers all the way down to mine trucks and it was all done out in the field ... in ankle deep mud during summer rains to dust pits in the dry months. I relegated the Toyota to the mines because it was 4WD and even my employees (who could destroy an anvil) never broke that truck. I had a fleet of 5 trucks at the time, that Toyota, my personal (bought a new one) Toyota and 3 full-sized Chevies. One of those Chevies was actually a "floater". It stayed at my mechanic's shop and when an employee broke a truck, it would go to the shop and the employee would switch over into the floater. The mechanic would repair the Chevy and then, it became the floater. It was a revolving door and I'd write a HUGE check at the end of every month to my mechanic. I finally got sick of it, sold all the Chevies and bought all Toyotas for the "fleet". After a while, I even eliminated the floater because it was simply sitting and rotting away ... I never needed it. I ran into my mechanic about 3 years later (at Sam's Club) and he asked what I was doing now. I informed him I still had the company and he said he thought I'd gone out of business because he'd never seen me around. I told him I'd switched over to 100% Toyotas and he nodded, said he misses my business, but it was a smart move!

I've never owned ANYTHING but Toyotas since '81 (except for a few beaters I bought for hunting). I normally bought whatever Lynn wanted for her driver ... 2 BMW's, 2 Corvettes, a Jaguar XKS (that got returned ... long story), but I finally convinced her to switch gears and get into a Toyota. So far that's included a Sequoia, 4 Avalon's (her favorite) and she's presently in an '18 Highlander Limited (my favorite so far). Of course, I have my Tacoma as I've owned nothing but Toyota pick-ups since that first one in 1981. But, we've strayed off onto a tangent. One (negative??) thing about Toyota is, they're usually a little behind on introducing new technology and are many times lagging a year or so behind the competition. Lynn's brother, a Toyota Engineer (Lexus) told me it's because of their extensive testing. Some manufacturers rush their new technologies into the market and let the market do the testing, while Toyota holds back until they're sure they have the bugs worked out. It doesn't always work out, but most times it does. So I guess in the end, this post really does relate to what I was saying above about not having my full trust in these vaccines that have been rushed into production with minimal testing.

BarryBobPosthole
12-06-2020, 10:07 AM
Here’s what I wonder. What happens to the tissue in your arm when they squirt that -200 degree stuff into it? Do they warm it up first?

BKB

Thumper
12-06-2020, 10:58 AM
Here’s what I wonder. What happens to the tissue in your arm when they squirt that -200 degree stuff into it? Do they warm it up first? BKB

Ha ha ha! I never thought about that. :D

I assume they'd have to warm it up first 'cause at that temp I'd have to think it's in a solid state. Kind'a hard to suck a chunk of ice out of a vial with a syringe, through a tiny needle I'd imagine. But I thought heat killed the effectiveness? I'm confused.

BarryBobPosthole
12-06-2020, 11:04 AM
Another close family sick with it today, my sis in law, amd her husband waiting for his test result. Which is crazy because he’s been taking care of her the past two days since she wastested. She got the quick test because she had symptoms, he had to get the PCR test that takes days to get back because he didn’t. He may have gotten it in the two days since they both got tested. That sort of testing process is useless for planning purposes.
As gummed up as testing is, how the eff are we supposed to trust vaccinations?

BKB

Thumper
12-06-2020, 11:28 AM
We have a close friend in the medical field and she deals with patients all day long. She's finally retiring on December 31st ... her 80th birthday is the next day (she's a New Year's baby!). I asked her about the vaccine and here's a cut & paste of what she said. (BTW, we're meeting her at noon today, for lunch.)

Re; The vaccine. I will wait until some of the people have taken it first to see if it is effective or not, or there are any bad side effects reported. Then I will consider it later as I don't want to be their guinea pig. I assume there will be an immediate rush when it's first offered and it will be as rare as toilet paper!

So. it seems there's uncertainty, even in the medical field. A LOT of people are a little gun shy it seems ... including myself.

BarryBobPosthole
12-06-2020, 11:52 AM
Its easy to talk myself into both sides of that argument! Its probably a good thing it won’t be available to me for a few months, I assume. Gives me a chance to think on it.

BKB

Thumper
12-06-2020, 12:05 PM
I'm at the same exact point you are Posty. It's one of those "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situations. I'll be 69 years old next month, so I assume I will be pretty much toward the top of the list for availability ... after health care workers, 1st responders, etc. Hopefully by then, I'll be off the fence. Who knows?

DeputyDog
12-06-2020, 07:31 PM
Another close family sick with it today, my sis in law, amd her husband waiting for his test result. Which is crazy because he’s been taking care of her the past two days since she wastested. She got the quick test because she had symptoms, he had to get the PCR test that takes days to get back because he didn’t. He may have gotten it in the two days since they both got tested. That sort of testing process is useless for planning purposes.
As gummed up as testing is, how the eff are we supposed to trust vaccinations?

BKB

I’ve heard about a lot of issues with the rapid testing and a high rate of false positives and false negatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
12-06-2020, 07:33 PM
She’s sick as a dog. Prolly not a false positive in this case, but I’ve heard the same thing.

Or was it false negatives?

BKB

Chicken Dinner
12-06-2020, 07:47 PM
I think the quick test is both. The longer PCR test is mostly false negatives. Any where from 10-30% depending why you talk to.

johnboy
12-06-2020, 07:49 PM
Elon Musk wrote that he had 4 tests done back to back - 2 were negative and 2 were positive. The PCR test is highly inaccurate after 25 replications so who the hell knows anymore.

DeputyDog
12-06-2020, 08:04 PM
She’s sick as a dog. Prolly not a false positive in this case, but I’ve heard the same thing.

Or was it false negatives?

BKB

Wasn’t implying that it was, just that there have been a lot of issues with the rapid tests.