PDA

View Full Version : Where did the last 50 years go ???

jb
12-12-2020, 04:05 PM
50 years ago next week I graduated from college. 26 years old, married 2 1/2 years, 3 month old child, just finished my Student Teaching, living in a 12x50 mobile home, dead ass broke and no teaching jobs for another 8 months.
Food stamps and loans from my mother to pay the rent and utilities, literally 0 dollars anywhere. I sold my college parking permit for $10 so I could buy my wife a Christmas present.
Things were both good and terrible at the same time.
Two days latter I got a call from an Architect I had worked part time for a year earlier, he gave my name to a big time company that was just starting up and needed an experience draftsman/designer. Made the call and was hired on the spot for $5 /hour. That was the most money I'd ever made. I started immediately and got my first pay check 5 days later.
We were in tall cotton, paid my mother back, even went out to dinner. That fall I got my first teaching job, not a big raise from what I was making, but not bad either for 9 months of work that gave me the summer off to work construction.
Since then I've (we've) never been fired, laid-off or looking for work, 31 years, two employer's, 3 different houses in only two locations. No health issues and three great sons, 3 beautiful DIL's and 8 grand kids.
Some times you need to go through hard times to realize just how good you have it.
That's it, just nice to be able to post something like this, not bragging, just saying, sometimes you take the right path as you walk through life.

BarryBobPosthole
12-12-2020, 04:36 PM
And the reward for living the life you have, is the life you have!

You’re a good soul, Mr Bubba.

BKB

Thumper
12-13-2020, 09:07 AM
Congrats Bubba! It appears you graduated college the same year I STARTED college! Sometimes I look back and wonder how I pulled through to this point, but in the long run, I've been extremely lucky. I've had a few low periods where I just couldn't see any light at the end of the tunnel, but something always managed to come along to turn things around. To this day, I think one of the best things to have ever happened to me, actually seemed like the end of the world at the time. I'd have never in a million years considered joining the military if it hadn't been for the draft lottery (and my LOW number), but I had no real choice. It gave me a bit of time to think about which direction I wanted to take in my life without all the outside pressures of friends, family and society pushing me one way or the other. In the end, it all worked out and with hard work and determination, I ended up with a pretty decent life ... not without hurdles, but the hurdles always had a way of becoming lower than they appeared at the time. I have been ... and continue to be, very lucky.

Buckrub
12-13-2020, 12:04 PM
You are a fine person, and one of my best memories is meeting you. I have a ton of pictures that mean a lot to me, but one of them in the "Prominent Display" is our salmon fishing trip. I still owe you for that one. I dearly loved Traverse City too (in August! LOL).

My story mimics yours. I bet most of us are in same boat. I had one big job and four part time jobs all at once, back then. Kids to feed, bills to pay, and terribly wrong decisions to make. LOL.

Fifty years ago next week, I also graduated from College. I wish I remembered anything I learned. LOL.

Great post, JB.

jb
12-13-2020, 06:25 PM
Bucky,
I now have a Salmon fishing boat again, never have to rely on a charter, smaller than the Charter, but good for two to four people.
Come North again, any time.

Buckrub
12-13-2020, 06:37 PM
Soon as they let me outta here!! In "only son" jail for now. PLEASE don't make that offer if you don't mean it. That is one of my favorite things I almost never get to do. PLUS, I can cook them suckers pretty good, huh? :D

I actually will be in Shipshewana in August (again)............depending on Mother.

Maybe 2021 will be better...............12090

jb
12-14-2020, 10:06 AM
Offer is good, had a great time last time. Maybe you need some clean, clear, fresh Northern Michigan air again. Aug. is a great salmon month, both in the bay and on the big lake.
Comeondown !! or Comeonup !!

DeputyDog
12-14-2020, 10:26 AM
If you do make it up to Shipshewana this year make sure you get ahold of me too. I might even be able to round up Hotshot to get together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buckrub
12-14-2020, 11:44 AM
For DD and JB...........IF WE MAKE it (and at this point it depends on whether I can leave Mother for that long), I am 100% going to get ahold of you last time. Pat, I had scheduled to call you the next day when I got word my brother passed away.

BTW, I have made fun of "Yankees" all my life. But the two neatest spots I've seen in all my travels is Shipshewana, IN and Traverse City, MI.

DeputyDog
12-14-2020, 12:51 PM
Shipshewana has a drive through Christmas light display going on that is about two miles in length. We took my in-laws through it a week or so ago. It was really nice. The “downtown” is also really decorated too. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201214/1e2d424c78be222a933b872ee25286f3.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201214/0abb58f46f028c396a492249690da922.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201214/091a2d40a160b1465fb04d2e33f39abe.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201214/0810c3d27cf84d9b10992d51934304b3.jpg

Buckrub
12-14-2020, 06:42 PM
That last one is the Blue Gate restaurant. My wife would kill twelve Ninja's and five Navy Seals for their fried chicken.

DeputyDog
12-14-2020, 09:13 PM
Yep. She’s not the only one. The pics don’t do it justice.