PDA

View Full Version : Lost my aunt this week

hotshot
02-16-2013, 09:51 PM
My aunt had cancer. We knew she was on death's door, but the loss is never something you plan for. She was an absolute hoot! She once received an F in gym class because she state "I can do push ups just as well as the boys". She refused to do girl push ups and thus received an F.
No one hated to lose more than her.
One time, she was playing a church softball game, and told her daughter to slide, (heavy southern Indiana accent... sounded like Slayde, slayde)....
The catch was that my cousin was 8 months pregnant, (the OB was in the stands, and gave the okay for her to play). My cousin made it to third. The two of them argued loudly that "Mom, there is no way I am sliding with your first grandchild inside me. I don't care if I was almost out".
Aunt Darla played golf well into her 70's. She refused to rent a cart since a good walk was part of the game.
She was always good for a funny story, a loud laugh, and pure fun.
Her first husband died of a heart attack years ago. They had gone to Seymore Indiana to watch the local high school play in the semi state basketball game. In Indiana this is a BIG deal! After the morning session was over, My uncle went back to the hotel because he did not feel well. Word got back to the game that someone had had a heart attack. My aunt knew right away that it was her husband.
She was single, but not slowed down for 10 years. Then the wife of one of their friends died quickly of cancer. The newly widowed husband and my aunt started spending time together..... got married. They figured, what the heck, they'd known eachother their whole life. They were great for eachother.

At the funeral service, my cousin, who I haven't seen in years, handed me a knife that was my grampa's. He had three of them, gave one to my brother, one to me, and kept one. All three had chinks out of the blade, where my grampa would clean out the grease nipples on the tractor tires so he could use the grease gun on them. My cousin had found them in an old tool box. I am the proud owner of an 75-80 year old case knife with a chipped blade.
Needs sharpening, but it is priceless.
On the 5 hour drive home, I sadly thought I might have made my last trip to Georgetown Indiana. It is a small town that seems to be frozen in my childhood. Grampa's farm is still partially ours, but the 5 hour commute is prohibitive. My dad cash rents the tillable land. The rest, (most of the farm), is pasture with limestone hills just under the surface.
I miss the farm terribly in my thoughts. My childhood was centered on the cows, the pond, the woods, the barn, and the crick.
I know I rambled, but all of these thoughts are intertwined as part of my soul.
Darla was a great woman, who made those around her better.
Cancer sucks!

Thumper
02-16-2013, 10:39 PM
Sorry to hear that Scott. Sounds like this event really stirred up the old memory banks ... not always a bad thing when they are FOND memories. Kudos to your cousin for sharing those knives.

BTW ... My son's mother is named Darla.

Sunshine
02-16-2013, 10:44 PM
What great memories, you have.

Sounds like a very strong woman, with a sassy twist!!!
She sounds like a lady I would have loved to have met.
I'm deeply sorry for you and your families loss.
Seems like all the good ones are heading home!!!

I hope in my passing, someone will find nice things to say about me like you have of her.

Good memories are a wonderful, cherished thing to have.

Hope the smile you'll get on your face, every time you think about her, will brighten your day. :D

Buckrub
02-16-2013, 11:11 PM
I know that woman. Sure seem like you did too! And we're both better off for it. And I betcha so are a lot of other folks....which is about all that we can hope is said about us after we're gone.

hotshot
02-18-2013, 12:14 AM
Thanks for the kind words. Funny how a laptop and people all over the US and a few Canucks can be theraputic.
My Aunt knew every kid that went though Georgetown school. As secretary, she wiped their nose, chewed them out when needed, called their mom or dad, let them borrow lunch money, hurried them to class, held them in saddness, cheered their successes, and helped keep a town alive.
When she'd see them later in life, or on the street, she'd remember every name and had only one volume..... loud! it is a family trait.
Another funny thing: she ran off and eloped at age 18. My grandparents were okay with it once they knew found out why she wasn't home to milk in the morning. My dad would walk by her house on his way to school. She'd yell good morning to him every day.
My uncle actually helped build the actual LOVE BOAT.... Jeff boat in Jeffersonville Indiana built it. floated it down the ohio, to the mississippi, and out to the ocean.
betcha didn't know that huge ships are built in southern IN?????
Yeah, Aunt Darla was something! She refused to take naps in the afternoon- if she got tired, she'd go for a walk.

Captain
02-18-2013, 08:05 AM
Man she sounded like a hoot! I'm sure you will all miss her but will remember her always... Cool on getting your Granddad's pocketknife.
Sure sorry for your loss
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Arty
02-18-2013, 08:26 AM
Sorry for your loss. Sounds like a bunch of good memories there.

BarryBobPosthole
02-18-2013, 09:18 AM
Reader's Digest used to run a section called 'My Most Unforgettable Characters'. You're story about your aunt sounds like she might be one of those in your life. sorry to hear about your loss, Scott.
BKB

Buckrub
02-18-2013, 10:55 AM
I don't mean this to sound morbid, but as I've gotten older, and hopefully a bit more mellow, I actually enjoy such stories. I have always migrated to 'old people'. My favorite memories were sitting around the outside campfire at my FIL's deer camp for 15 years and listening to the old guys talk. I just listened. Now I'm an old guy, and I never shut up. On another web site, I've told several stories about that camp, and the characters there, and I keep getting "tell us more". I feel sorta like Thump at times!!! When you're old, a lot has happened to you, and if you paid any attention at all, you ran across some great characters, some great people, and some funny goings-on!! Young people are nice, and energetic, but they don't have any 'stuff' to 'em. They are naturally full of air, waiting to be filled up with Life yet. Old folks are full of it, and never stop remembering just one more story about one more character.

Your aunt is one of 'em. I swear I knew her.......or folks just like her. My mother is a lot like her. This wreck has made me realize how deeply I'm going to miss my mother............which is a ridiculous comment, actually, because I am too unhealthy to make it another 20 years, and she will probably live to be 130 or more.

Bwana
02-19-2013, 12:01 PM
She sounds like a great lady. Sorry for your loss but always keep the memories close at hand.