PDA

View Full Version : Hey Big Sky!

Thumper
12-29-2020, 06:30 PM
Are you just gonna stand around and let this little 11 yr. old twerp kick your butt? ;)

https://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-world/national/article248134745.html

Boy who caught 41-pound trout lands an even bigger fish at same Utah reservoir

An 11-year-old boy who caught a massive trout had even more success on another day of fishing at the same spot, Utah Division of Wildlife Resources said.

Tyler Grimshaw, who hooked a 41-pound lake trout in June at Flaming Gorge Reservoir near Manila, Utah, has caught another giant fish, DWR said in a social media post Monday.

This time, Tyler caught and released a 48-pounder, which was also a lake trout.

People on Facebook were surprised with the boy’s impressive catch.

“Kid better slow down or he’s going to peak as an angler before he’s a teen!” one Facebook commenter wrote.

Another commenter called it a “fish of a lifetime” and yet another said, “He’s caught more pounds of fish in six months then I’ve caught in five years.”

Lake trout are typically around 20 inches long, according to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. The largest recorded length is nearly 5 feet, and the biggest ever recorded weighed in at 102 pounds.

The fish aren’t native to Utah, but were introduced to Utah’s cold-water lakes, DWR said on its website.

Tyler caught the first big trout when he was 10 years old, and released it all by himself, DWR said.

BarryBobPosthole
12-29-2020, 06:34 PM
That fish had to be deep. Lucky they were able to release it alive.

Do trout have air bladders?

BKB

Thumper
12-29-2020, 06:55 PM
No clue. I don't even remember if I've ever caught a trout. After reading the article, it sounds like the fish in the pic is the "smaller" one. (41 pounder)

Funny story:

When my son was about 4-5 years old, Lynn and I took him to Daytona. After a day at the beach, he'd seen people surf fishing and begged me to take him fishing. I stopped and picked up a little Snoopy rod & reel and can't remember what sort of bait I came up with, but I figured I'd just let him get it out of his system so we could head home. I stopped at a small inlet where there was a block wall we could fish off of, got him baited up and let him fish. I couldn't have PAID for so much as a nibble that day. I kept waiting for him to get bored, but every time I mentioned throwing in the towel, he BEGGED to stay until he caught a fish. Finally, I decided it was a lost cause and slipped Lynn the car keys. I told her to run over to the local grocery store and see if she could buy a whole fish, then bring it back without letting my boy see it. When she returned, she was shaking her head and let me know she'd bought the only whole fish they had. It was a package containing a Rainbow Trout ... a FROZEN one! I had her distract my son while I quickly reeled in his line, attached the trout, then dropped it back in the water. I then hollered that he had a bite and to hurry back and catch his fish! He ran over, reeled it in and was so dang excited I thought he'd pee his pants. Of course, the first thing he asked was, "What kind of fish is it Dad?"

I couldn't lie ;) ... and told him it was a Frozen Trout!! During the following week he must have excitedly told elebenty-bazillion people about the frozen trout he caught that weekend! Of course, once he got a bit older and the rest of the story was explained to him, it became a long-standing family joke about the day he caught the first fish in his life .... a Frozen Trout at Daytona Beach! :thumbsup

johnboy
12-29-2020, 07:03 PM
Lakers can 'burp' air to release pressure in their air bladders so you can bring them up from the deeps and release with no ill effects. You can see the string of bubbles come up when they do. Caught and released many from Cold Lake, Alberta when we did our yearly laker trip but nothing near that size (20lbs was my biggest). That kid must have had a battle to bring that big girl up, for sure. They are a strong fighter.

BarryBobPosthole
12-29-2020, 07:08 PM
I’ve seen picture of some of the trout they catch in those deep cold water reservoirs out West and some of them look like fish from outer space. They morph into some weird shapes.

BKB

johnboy
12-29-2020, 07:22 PM
Lots of feed and no competition maybe makes for fatties. Fished Diefenbaker Resevoir in Saskachewan with TW that had been inadvertently stocked with rainbow (sterile triploids) after a fish farm was tore up by a storm. They went like that - huge footballs. Biggest caught was 48lbs.

Big Skyz
01-02-2021, 05:39 PM
That is a super big lake trout. A little side story. I had a friend contact me the other day with a list of the State Record Catch and Release fish in Utah. If I would have paid more attention I caught and released for sure two, and possibly three new state records last year. Oh well, that just like me to be day late and a dollar short.