PDA

View Full Version : Good for them, and may their Tribe increase....

Buckrub
02-18-2013, 11:33 AM
Cheaper Than Dirt Supports Citizens'
2nd Amendment Rights

Recently companies such as LaRue Tactical and Olympic Arms announced they will no longer sell prohibited items to government agencies and personnel in states denying civilians to own those same items. It has been and will continue to be Cheaper Than Dirt's policy not to sell prohibited items to government agencies and agents in states, counties, cities and municipalities that have enacted restrictive gun control laws against their citizens. We support and encourage other companies that share in this sentiment.

Thumper
02-18-2013, 11:57 AM
I got that e-mail also. Ha! Nothing but "feel good" advertising IMHO. Ya' ever notice how whenever one of these "crisis" (criseses? Crisees?) happen, their bazillion-round magazines jump in price by elebenty-zillion times?

My question ... does ANYONE here actually believe the government buys their stuff from an on-line retailer? It sounds good to the masses ... but IMO, it's nothing but advertising hype and sticking a feather in their own caps. Do "government personnel" state on their on-line order form ... "Oh, BTW ... I work for the government"!

It's a "feel-good" statement ... but that's all it is.

LW
02-18-2013, 12:23 PM
Yes, they do. Most municipal agencies do. I agree Bucky, I think it's great.

Thumper
02-18-2013, 12:35 PM
Well, color me enlightened then. Our government buys guns and ammo from on-line retailers? No wonder the deficit keeps going up!

Edit: Sorry ... I see you just mentioned "municipal agencies". Ok, I guess I can swallow that one.

Niner
02-18-2013, 01:16 PM
If I remember correctly Barrett has not been selling nor servicing any of their 50BMG guns to any California govt agency for years.

And.....yep..the gov would have to ID itself to the seller. VIA po# if nothing else. Of course that doesn't mean there aren't "work arounds".
They could get the Justice Dept to go down to Mexico and bring some stuff back.

Thumper
02-18-2013, 01:25 PM
... they will no longer sell prohibited items to government agencies and personnel ...

By "identifying" themselves ... I was referring to gov't "personnel". Like if I worked for the gov't, but want to buy something from CTD, I don't think I'd wirte on my order form, "Hi, I work for the government!" ;)

Buckrub
02-18-2013, 09:34 PM
"Government" does not always mean Federal. My concerns with "Government" getting out of hand are almost always directed at Federal. I don't eschew all local government functions, just Federal.

They sell a lot to government. That wasn't an empty statement by any of those companies. If every single supplier did this, it'd be amazingly wondermous. My prayer in all the recent turmoil is that somehow, a sleeping dog is awakened and we......some magic way........restore our individual freedoms and throw off the shackles of a Federal Government that does what most churches do..........they collect money as a solution, and then run in circles looking for a problem to solve. Along the way they get fat, bloated, inefficient, immoral, corrupt, worthless, and mean to boot.

Niner
02-18-2013, 10:04 PM
Prolly won't mean much to most of y'all.....but.....

There is a major mfr of Calibration Lab equipment called The John Fluke Co, or just Fluke for short. I was in the calibration/test equipment business from when I was in the Navy, until I got "retired" last year.....roughtly 35 years.

Anyway........I was taken to lunch a few years ago by the (at that time) sales rep for our area because our lab was looking to purchase some new lab eqipment. During the course of the lunch the conversation turned towards price point. He told me that the Governmet (aka military) is their bggest customer, and they can not....by contract...sell to anyone at a lower price than they pay....ANYONE.

Buckrub
02-18-2013, 11:24 PM
LOL. Yeah. That's like.......there are several pro baseball players that have contracts that say they "must be the highest paid player in the league".

LW
02-18-2013, 11:26 PM
Btw Thump, if the items that are prohibited for sale in certain states TO THE PUBLIC, were to be sold then the government employee would have to ID himself or they wouldnt sale to them.

Thumper
02-18-2013, 11:43 PM
I guess this is related ... sorta. I have an old Army buddy who's as honest as the day is long. I have NEVER had any reason to doubt ANYTHING he says. Last week, his wife found out she has breast cancer and they pretty much rushed her into surgery for a double mastectomy (sp?). He lives in Louisianna and it's like a 3 hour drive to the hospital. She went in, they removed both her breasts and she went home the next day! Sheeesh! I can't imagine such a thing ... but they're both home now.

I talked with my buddy in Texas and we decided he'd be the "go to" guy. To prevent elebenty-bazillion phone calls ... my Texas bud would call for a report and then report to all of us on the sidelines. During the medical progress report, the conversation turned to guns and the current turmoil over gun control. My Texas buddy mentioned he is having a heck of a time finding .22 LR ammo ... even Wally World is constantly out of them. Then our Louisanna buddy chimed in. He has been building black powder rifles for something like 40+ years and buys tons of black powder. He said he ordered some powder from his supplier of over 30 years and was told he's sold out. He said some "gov't agents" came into his shop and bought every ounce of powder he had. When he protested and said he needed to keep some for his regular customers, he was told, "You get your license from the government ... don't risk losing it!" They cleaned him out!

Now, I'm not big into conspiracy theories ... but what do you dufes make of this? Again, I got the story second hand, but I've trusted my LIFE to these two dufes before and would believe ANYTHING either one of them told me. "Maybe" a detail was missed during the conversation ... I just don't know. His wife's health is the most important thing right now, so I may not pressure him for details immediately, but I'm just wondering what youse dufes make of this? Does any of it make sense?

Thumper
02-18-2013, 11:48 PM
Btw Thump, if the items that are prohibited for sale in certain states TO THE PUBLIC, were to be sold then the government employee would have to ID himself or they wouldnt sale to them.

Maybe I'm not grasping what a "government employee" is. If Joe Blow works for the "government" and wants to go out target shooting ... what difference does it make when he goes to buy ammo? I've NEVER had anyone ask who I work for when I bought ammo. Why would they show a gov't ID when buying ammo? Won't a driver's license suffice? Or are youse guys talking about gov't employees buying ammo FOR a gov't agency? I guess that would be a no-brainer and a red flag. I guess I'm just not sure what you mean by "gov't employee" here.

Buckrub
02-18-2013, 11:54 PM
If Joe Blow works for the government, and buys PERSONAL ammo, he doesn't show any government ID, and is just a citizen.

If the next day, he goes and buys ammo for his Government Agency, he has to show ID to do so. He isn't writing HIS check, he's paying with Government voucher or warrant, or P.O.

Thumper
02-19-2013, 12:08 AM
Well, that I understand. The e-mail says,

... they will no longer sell prohibited items to government agencies and personnel ...

I suppose it means "personnel buying FOR a gov't agency". They make it sound like, if you have anything to do with the government, we don't want to deal with you! I still can't picture the Army buying their weapons and ammo through an on-line retailer! ;)

Niner
02-19-2013, 07:37 AM
I have been seeing some threads on other boards I frequent about the "shortage" of .22LR ammo and .22 firearms in general. Hadn't realized it was widespread.
Strangeness....I guess a "brick" of 500 rounds of 22LR takes up a lot less room in the cabinet than 500 rounds of .223 (which can't hardly be found anywhere right now). It juuuuuust so happens that before all this stuff went down, I ordered 1000 rounds of 22CB caps for popping tree rats in the back yard. Was only gonna get 500, but mama said I'd better double it...that I'd surely use them sooner or later and it'd save on the shipping charges.

AND......speaking of Black Powder......
I searched High and Low locally (within 25 or 30 miles) for a shop that carried it. I literally called every gun shop in the "phonebook". NOBODY was carrying it. The reason I was looking for some was I prefer real BP in my muzzle loader over the substitutes. Welllll....long story short(er), we had to make a road-trip up to Athens to UGA to take my daughter's dog to the vet school there (another story in itself)...anyway...on the way back we stopped by the Bass Pro Shops. They had plenty in stock....I bought four pounds of FFFg. Figgered that ought to hold me for a while. I missed a deer with the ML this past season, and told myself I am going to practice with that smoke pole this year and make SURE that doesn't happen again.

By the way...Black Powder is classified as an explosive. The substitutes (Pyrodex, etc) are classified as propellants by the ATF. Vendors can keep the subs out on the store shelves just like the reloading powder....BUT the BP has to be stored in a special explosion-proof cabinet aka magazine.

Thumper
02-19-2013, 09:20 AM
Yeah Niner ... my Texas buddy lives out in the boondocks and hasn't got a lot around him unless he goes into Waco. I assume that's where he's tried locating his .22 rounds. He said there are just none to be found in his area.

The bud who buys all the black powder lives in Louisanna just across the TX/LA state line ... he said this is the first time in 40+ years he hasn't been able to find BP. Now granted, I don't know how much he's searched outside of his regular supplier.

Buckrub
02-19-2013, 09:42 AM
There are no .22 cartridges in the USA!! There are "Walmart Clubs"............bunch of old men who 'know' folks at Walmart and sort of guess when the next shipment is coming in. They sit in the front for hours and wait on the truck, and of course, also the shelves to be stocked. When they get stocked, they jump. To Walmart's credit, they have a "3 box per customer per day" limit, but have NOT raised the price. Most local gun shops are selling .22 ammo at triple the retail price of December.

I ordered two bricks (oddly one is 500 rounds and one is 525) from Midway in December. Trouble is, I now have a .22 Mag and I can NOT find any of that anywhere! Well, yeah........Able Ammo has one brick of it, but they want $79.95 for it, and the same brick (if it were in stock) at Midway would be $46.00. I ain't paying it at that price now. Come March to June, it'll be all over the place, at regular prices.