PDA

View Full Version : Anniversary of he Challenger Explosion

BarryBobPosthole
01-28-2021, 09:55 AM
Doesn’t seem possible that 35 years have blown by. I was working in downtown Tulsa for a Williams Companies startup that had about 80 people. A few of us were watching the launch live on a training monitor in a conference room.
it took several seconds for any of us to believe what we were seeing. Terrible day.

BKB

DeputyDog
01-28-2021, 10:14 AM
I was a junior in high school. Up until 9/11, that was the one event I always remembered where I was and how I heard about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

airbud7
01-28-2021, 10:26 AM
I remember it like it was yesterday

Chicken Dinner
01-28-2021, 10:46 AM
I still remember where I was and what I was doing when I first heard.

Thumper
01-28-2021, 11:03 AM
Remember it well. Sad, sad day. :(

airbud7
01-28-2021, 11:14 AM
Not a good day for teachers with young kids

"There were likely more kids watching in classrooms around the nation because the Challenger carried the first teacher into space. But just moments into the flight, the Challenger exploded."

BarryBobPosthole
01-28-2021, 11:50 AM
Actually, I have to amend my story. After thinking about it, I’m pretty sure I was at MCI in downtown Tulsa when Challenger happened.

quercus alba
01-28-2021, 11:52 AM
The space program never interested me, I remember when it happened but that's about it. I don't even know the name of any astronauts other than John Glenn.

Bwana
01-28-2021, 12:47 PM
I was a freshman in college and can remember coming into my dorm to find everyone huddled around the tv.

Hombre
01-28-2021, 01:21 PM
I remember it well. I was in grade school and they had all of us in the library with one of those carts that has the TV and VCR below. It's interesting how things like this, or 9/11 sear a memory that stays with you for life.

BarryBobPosthole
01-28-2021, 04:24 PM
JB do you remembewr where you were when you heard about the Wright Brothers at Kitty Hawk?

BKB

Thumper
01-28-2021, 06:10 PM
JB do you remembewr where you were when you heard about the Wright Brothers at Kitty Hawk? BKB

:GH Shit Disturber

Arty
01-29-2021, 08:23 PM
JB do you remembewr where you were when you heard about the Wright Brothers at Kitty Hawk?

BKB

Lol

Arty
01-29-2021, 08:23 PM
1st grade. I was sick and my mimi picked me up from school. We were watching it together on the couch.

Thumper
01-29-2021, 08:54 PM
I was working in Beverly Hills at the time and was expecting a call from Saudi Arabia at noon (noon was something like 8:00 pm in Riyadh). I was going to run across the street to grab some lunch to bring back to my office so I didn't miss the call. I got off the elevator on the ground floor and the security guard in the lobby hollered at me to "come watch this shit"! It was the shuttle just getting ready to launch and he had the little tv at his desk tuned into the launch. I got there right when it took off and I can remember him saying something along the lines of, "Man! Those people are f'ing CRAZY flying in that damn thing!" Seconds later, it exploded. To this day, I can remember how big his eyes were when he looked at me and asked, "WTF just happened???" The bitch of it was, I had to haul ass over to get my sammich and get back to my office so I didn't miss that call. We had no tv in the office (or internet, or cell phone, etc) so I had to wait until I got home that evening to get the whole story. It's ALL that was on the news that night. Thinking back, Lynn and I had only been together for 7 months at that time. Man how time flies. Seems like just yesterday.