PDA

View Full Version : it's done.. I'll speak..

HideHunter
02-07-2021, 01:29 PM
Everything is complete – so I’ll pass this on as best I can. This may well turn into a “Thump” story – but I don’t care. ;) I’ll start at the beginning if I can figure out where that is.

Many years ago, when Bill Conine’s dad passed away, he had a pair of green Browning Kangaroo boots, almost like new. He asked if anyone on the site could wear them and because I was the only one of normal size - and the rest of you slew-foots were too big – he sent them to me - wouldn’t take a dime - even for shipping.

Somewhere after that I posted something about air rifles, wondering if anyone else fooled with them? Bill posted that he had an old Crosman pump-up – but it wouldn’t hold air. I asked if he was interested in selling it.. He said he’d had it for years and thought he’d keep it. Sometime after, as we know, Bill passed.

I wore the boots out and they even hung on the wall at “turkey camp” for a couple years. When I finally decided to pitch them – for some reason I kept the strings. All of you have seen the walking stick I made and incorporated the strings into a handle. I’ve taken it for a walk every year hunting mushrooms.

Fast forward 5-6 years; I bought a couple pretty nice break-barrel guns and was telling my dad and bil about them. Bil asked if if I had ever found a vintage pump-up. Told him no.. I’d had a handle on three but two wouldn’t sell and one guy had passed away. I get home that day, check FB and have a message from Jamie. “Diane Conine is trying to reach you. Here’s her email address.” It seems Bill had left a “to-do” list of things he’d like done. Among them was sending me the air rifle.. I could not have been more surprised as we only spoke of it the one time. She had no contact information – only knew me as “HideHunter” and even that got lost in the shuffle. All these years later – she was looking for something and ran across a Gun Blue Book that showed the gun, mentioned GH and HideHunter. As it happened Jamie had contacted her. And she told him what was up. After several emails we arranged for her to send the gun – wouldn’t take a cent – even for shipping.

I sent her pictures of the stick – and explained its origin and asked if she would like to have it.. Said she’d be thrilled. So.. I have the gun – she has the stick.. and I’m still shaking my head about the “coincidence” that we talked about the gun that very day.

What a great lady – and she sends her best wishes to you all.
12355 1235712356

Arty
02-07-2021, 01:57 PM
Di is absolute solid gold. Like all of us here, old bill definitely married up.

The timing in your story is definitely one of those things that I know have to make it even more special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
02-07-2021, 03:15 PM
This place amazes me at times. Cool story.

I’ve spent time with Bill and Di many times and they are/were solid gold imho.

The first time I met Bill in person is after I bought a set of wheels (on eBay) for one of my trucks way back when. The seller happened to live in Atlanta and shipping was gonna be a bitch! Bill offered to pick them up and hold them for me. A week or two later I drove up and went to meet those Internet axe murderers at their house and ended up spending quality time with them. We grilled steaks on his back deck for supper that evening. After that first meeting, we visited many times and almost always eventually ended up at The Varsity for a couple of his favorite hot dogs. The last time I saw him, Lynn and I met he and Di for dinner in Atlanta. He was in a wheelchair and I had a walker. I remember the restaurant had to clear some space so that we could fit around the table with all of our “equipment”. In fact, I took a gun vise to him that night that he had wanted.

BarryBobPosthole
02-07-2021, 03:29 PM
There are some amazing people on this site and amazing ones we’ve all met through it too.

Well done, HH. Its all dusty in here this afternoon.

BKB

ps...I don’t know her personally buti do know Di has had some health challenges of her own and would appreciate a word in her favor to yourfavorite Man Upstairs.

Arty
02-07-2021, 10:54 PM
There are some amazing people on this site and amazing ones we’ve all met through it too.

Well done, HH. Its all dusty in here this afternoon.

BKB

ps...I don’t know her personally buti do know Di has had some health challenges of her own and would appreciate a word in her favor to yourfavorite Man Upstairs.

I have it on good authority that her Rinaldo os cancer free and she’s doing great!

Arty
02-07-2021, 11:10 PM
I feel like this post deserves a pic that will forever be burned in my mind.

I’ll never forget how long it took to get CO9 in the truck (and it was Di, me, Larke, and Di’s sister, who had come to stay with them to help out Di).
Bill wanted to go to lake co-9, but then again he didn’t. He didn’t think he could make it (in my opinion he didn’t want to put us all out with helping him).
He had his favorite bbq on the way there, and now that Larke is gone I can firmly say that me and Bill spanked Larke’s ass with the bass.

We probably caught 50 in roughly 2 hours. Nothing big, but the little bucks were hot that day.

I’ll never forget that trip.

Bill left us about 3 weeks after this pic was taken.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210208/1a6f83e46edb458835a87cbf2e2f5c7a.jpg

Arty
02-07-2021, 11:17 PM
I was right behind this little apey fucker when we stopped for his favorite BBQ

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210208/0cd3f7ebbf2ba4c3f2fd658c5c25dd4c.jpg

Penguin
02-08-2021, 09:39 AM
The old breed... you just could not explain this unique culture and its people to someone not familiar with it. It crosses state and even national boundaries. It is something to see in action isn't it?

Will

Big Skyz
02-08-2021, 10:46 AM
That is just the kind of post I needed to read this morning to start my day out. Thank you!

Chicken Dinner
02-08-2021, 11:34 AM
I can’t believe they’re both gone. Sigh.

Bwana
02-08-2021, 12:03 PM
I agree CD. Those two gents were definitely something special!

As for HH, good on you sir and so glad to hear that Di is doing well!

LJ3
02-08-2021, 12:52 PM
Hard to read all this and not feel a little sad as well. This, right'chere, is the value of this site. what a great story.

Chicken Dinner
02-08-2021, 01:24 PM
I had the real privilege of hunting with both Bill and Larke and and tell you you’ll never meet a finer couple of men. They are both memorialized in the pictures from my oldest boys first deer.

Arty
02-08-2021, 09:03 PM
Hard to read all this and not feel a little sad as well. This, right'chere, is the value of this site. what a great story.

Then why you tryna kill it?
Barry told me to axe you...

LJ3
02-09-2021, 10:46 AM
I'm not trying to kill anything! I'm trying to get you old fucks to look up and see where you should be going. Admittedly, my technique needs a little work. It's a bit coarse.