PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of good investments!

Thumper
02-22-2021, 11:48 PM
I mentioned here that I attended an estate sale 3-4 weeks ago and bought 4 rusty old axes for $3 apiece. Once I cleaned them up, only two of them had any markings (a Craftsman and a Sager), but the other two were unmarked, although I knew by style, etc, who the manufacturer was. Still, unmarked axes don't bring a premium. I'd list one, once it sold, I'd drag out another one, clean it up and list it. No rush, I just took my time. Well heck, it's been less than a month and all four of them have sold as of today. I just turned $12 worth of rusty old axes into $337.45 in the blink of an eye! I hope this eBay thing remains as fun as it's been so far. :thumbsup

Bwana
02-23-2021, 11:33 AM
Well played sir

BarryBobPosthole
02-23-2021, 12:14 PM
Just a reminder I have a birthday coming up!

BKB

Thumper
02-23-2021, 12:27 PM
I have a beautiful Collins I've just started cleaning up and plan on listing it this afternoon. It's got a nice 4-1/2 pound Dayton head with the original haft in excellent condition. How much do you generally spend on birthday gifts? :biggrin

Big Skyz
02-23-2021, 03:28 PM
Your Midas touch for all things ebay never ceases to amaze me! I'm fairly confident that if I tried to do this I would buy low and find out I still paid too much and then be stuck with a bunch of crap I can't move.

Bwana
02-23-2021, 04:48 PM
What BS said.

Thumper
02-25-2021, 06:44 AM
I have a beautiful Collins I've just started cleaning up and plan on listing it this afternoon. It's got a nice 4-1/2 pound Dayton head with the original haft in excellent condition. How much do you generally spend on birthday gifts? :biggrin

Poof! Gone. Didn't get around to listing it until yesterday afternoon and it sold last night. In fact, it sold so fast, I figure I must'a underpriced it. Guy paid $94.50 total. Sorry P-hole ... there went your b/d gift. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
02-25-2021, 08:30 AM
Thumper’s Axe Murderer Supply! Get yours today!

BKB

Thumper
02-25-2021, 09:09 AM
Ha ha ha! Yeah, it's startin' to look like that. Of course I have a ton of misc. stuff listed, but I have a habit of categorizing some stuff and group things together by category. Then I let the supply build up until the urge hits me to start listing a particular type of item, then I go through the pile. The last couple months of the year, I got the urge to start selling off a pile of old Pyrex mixing bowls I'd let accumulate. Bottom line on old Pyrex bowls for the month of December? $1044.22! I'd acquired a pile of axes and didn't start fooling with them until sometime last month, so I sold a couple in January. For some odd reason (no rhyme or reason really), I only list one at a time. I'll clean one up (minor cleaning, maybe 15-mins. per axe) and list it. When it sells, I'll list another one and so forth. This is what has sold so far just in February, so I'm averaging 1/week. (I guess it's time to clean up another one) ;)

Bottom line paid by buyers, Total: $413.32 Nice return considering I refuse to pay more than $5/axe. (the small, boy's axe (#3) was badly rusted and extremely pitted)

12391 12392

12393 12394

BarryBobPosthole
02-25-2021, 09:11 AM
Hey, internet axe murderers need to have a good day too sometimes.

BKB

Thumper
02-25-2021, 09:29 AM
I clean the blood off of 'em before I sell 'em. ;)

I still have 5-6 axes here, but I'm losing interest and may move on to something else. I really, REALLY need to start dumping some cast iron. I have a couple different piles hanging around that I need to start moving. Most of my primo stuff has been sold, but the piles are rebuilding. Here's ONE pile ... I have another, but haven't taken a pic of it.

Big Skyz
02-25-2021, 11:38 AM
I expect Jack Nicholson will be checking in here soon...

Chicken Dinner
02-25-2021, 01:23 PM
You have anything interesting in that pile of iron?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
02-25-2021, 01:26 PM
You have anything interesting in that pile of iron?

I was thinking the exact same thing. I don’t know how I could drag anything else home though, especially something that could potentially be used as a weapon.

BKB

Bwana
02-25-2021, 01:57 PM
My missus has fallen in love with her cast iron skillet. I'm sure there is something hiding in your pile that she might like but I have no idea what it would be.

She's not enough in the know to be interested in only top end stuff, I think it is more about cooking with items her grandmothers used to that piques her interest.

BarryBobPosthole
02-25-2021, 02:30 PM
I’d jump on a dutch oven with a hammered finish in a NYM.

BKB

Hombre
02-25-2021, 02:37 PM
I’d jump on a dutch oven with a hammered finish in a NYM.

BKB

damnit I've been asking Thump about that for years....now you're cutting in line

BarryBobPosthole
02-25-2021, 03:16 PM
I was just establishing my place in line in front of Bwana’s wife!

BKB

Thumper
02-25-2021, 04:58 PM
Been running some elderly (mid-80’s) friends around and now waiting for their 1st Covid shot appts. (4:00 & 4:15), so I figured I’d check in. I haven’t run across any hammered iron in quite a while. That stuff is like gold with the CI collectors. I have that pile pictured above, as well as a smaller pile I’ve started. I don’t even have a clue what all is in there. I pick ‘em up, bring ‘em home, add ‘em to the pile and forget about ‘em for a while. Every once in a while, I’ll get the bug and start digging a few things out to list. Like the Pyrex in Nov -Dec, axes Jan -Feb, etc. No clue why I do that, just one of my idiosyncrasies I guess. I think before the Pyrex, I went through a stage of listing old wood working tools and before that, hand tools (wrenches, etc). In between, I list misc. singular stuff. I guess it keeps me from getting bored when I change things up. I’ve tapped into a HUGE market for vintage (citrus) juicers and sell them year round. I probably have 40-50 of them in inventory at any given time. Oddly, 90% of those sales go to California. I’ll dig through the CI within the next day or two and see if there’s anything interesting in there.

Arty
02-26-2021, 11:03 PM
I was just establishing my place in line in front of Bwana’s wife!

BKB

Y’all just got to be faster than CD when it comes to claiming oyster knives. He’s 0-4.