PDA

View Full Version : Paying the price

Big Skyz
02-19-2013, 11:44 AM
So yesterday I get up well before sun up and get ready to spend the day calling coyotes. I had a friend travel 80 miles over icy snow covered roads to join me. We get to our first set up and right away we call in this big male. My partner was doing the hand calling and the coyote came in on my side. So I shot him at 210 yards just as he was about to hit our scent line. In fact, I think as I killed him he was fixing to bugger out judging by his body posture. We figured with such a great start that we were in for a good day. Well it was a great day in regards to enjoying each others company, seeing lots of great country, and hiking many miles. We hunted right up until dark. However we didn't call in another coyote the rest of the day. This morning I'm paying the price with a nasty head cold, and also feeling a little stiff and sore from all the hiking. It was a ton of effort for just one coyote. Would I do it all again, knowing we would only get one coyote? You bet, in a heart beat. :)
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/Huntzz/TroyCoyoteA2-18-13_zpsb649d400.jpg

BarryBobPosthole
02-19-2013, 11:48 AM
Hey Troy, just a curiosity question, but do you include coyotes much in your art? I don't remember seeing many if any. As much as you like to hunt them, I was just wondering.
BKB

Niner
02-19-2013, 11:52 AM
Your camo.....never mind.
:poke

BarryBobPosthole
02-19-2013, 11:58 AM
No it don't does it?
BKB

Big Skyz
02-19-2013, 12:08 PM
BBP, as a matter of fact yes, now and then I do.

Gold Scrathboard
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/Huntzz/CoyoteGold_zps55fc2d2d.jpg

Sliver Scratchboard
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/Huntzz/coyote2JClean_zpsb5abc03e.jpg

Graphite Drawing
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/Huntzz/CoyotePrint-2_zpsc7edfb74.jpg

hotshot
02-19-2013, 12:36 PM
uhhhhhh WOW!
beautiful even if they are of mangy critters!

BarryBobPosthole
02-19-2013, 12:37 PM
If you've ever watched a coyote chasing grasshoppers in the summer or fall, that middle one of the coyote leaping captures it perfectly.

BKB

Big Muddy
02-19-2013, 02:17 PM
Sky, I've said it a million times, but, again, you have amazing talent, my friend!!!

Even on my pc screen, it's as if I can reach out, and run my fingers thru their fur....thanks for sharing those pics.

Big Muddy
02-19-2013, 02:28 PM
Sky, I've had days like that, while crappie fishing....motor a LONG ways down the lake to one of my favorite fishing spots, and drop my jig next to the first good-looking stump or log that I see....a slab crappie nails the jig, and I'm all grins.

Then, I don't get another hit the rest of the entire day....doesn't happen very often to me, but I have had it happen on several ocassions.

Big Skyz
02-19-2013, 02:33 PM
Eddie, I know exactly what you are talking about. I've had that happen several times while fishing crappie and perch being the most notorious for this. Then on other days the same fish seem almost suicidal as they fight over who gets to jump in the boat next. Bass don't even drive me as crazy as crappie and perch can some days.

Big Muddy
02-19-2013, 03:18 PM
Sky, I sent you a pm....you get it???

hotshot
02-19-2013, 03:45 PM
Crappie and perch.,..... starting to salivate just thinking about them. One of my favorite perch spots is in a channel with some decent current. I get strange looks with my boat jammed up in the cattails along the edge and fishing between the boats passing by. Luke and I just smile and add perch to the live well. If we get 5 minutes between boats, we can add 2-3 perch every time. Once we fish out a pocket of big perch, we move down the channel til we see perch flair as we putt-putt over them. I steer into the weeds again, kill the motor and do it again.
Once we work through the channel, we hit the main lake and catch a bunch more with the occasional chunck bluegill(bream to you southerners- and yeah they are usually titty -bream).

Big Skyz
02-19-2013, 04:09 PM
Eddie, I'm glad you said something or that PM would have got past me.

Buckrub
02-19-2013, 05:33 PM
Sky and Ed.........I have days like that fishing, too...........

Well, minus that first hit, of course.

BarryBobPosthole
02-19-2013, 05:36 PM
I've gone so far as to consider an ill omen if my day starts out too good when I'm fishing. That is, unless it just keeps on being that good. then its one of 'those' days.

They's all good though and they all beat the hell out of working.

BKB

Buckrub
02-19-2013, 05:52 PM
Keeping the first one is the worst JuJu of all. Terrible!!!

BarryBobPosthole
02-19-2013, 05:54 PM
Yes. 'for the fishing gods'.

BKB

Big Skyz
02-19-2013, 05:56 PM
BBP, yes it does best the best of work. Some days this freaking desk and classroom feel just like a ball and chain inside a prison cell. Other days it's not so bad.

Bwana
02-19-2013, 06:38 PM
Love the silver scratch art of the coyote pouncing. WAY cool.

quercus alba
02-19-2013, 08:54 PM
many moons ago, I worked on a dairy one summer and the farmer had a couple of coyotes he had raised from pups. They were skittish and wouldn't let you touch them but they hung around with the dogs and would come to eat if you called them. One of the farmers sons had bought an open faced reel and was learning how to pull out backlashes. I had a big practice weight which was a triangular shaped piece of rubber with an eye on it. Moe was casting that weight down the road trying to get the feel of his thumb pressure when one of those coyotes stuck his head out of the weeds watching that weight moving. Moe stopped reeling and twitched it a time or two when that yote grabbed it and took off. Moe snatched like he was setting the hook and that coyote went nuts. It took him about 7 or 8 seconds to spit it out. I looked at Moe and said straight faced, " keep your rod tip up and your line tight or he'll throw it everytime". We busted out laughing and nobody would believe moe when he told the story.

Those two coyotes entertained us many a time that summer