PDA

View Full Version : I don't get it, but whatever ...

Thumper
03-11-2021, 08:48 AM
Our niece (Lynn's brother's daughter) lives in the L.A. area and she is SUPER talented. She excels at anything she tackles. Swim team, track & field, piano and probably a slew of stuff I've forgotten. Her love is tennis and she travels all over the state (and a few neighboring states) for tennis tournaments ... and does well. She does the same for swim meets ... a lot of travel. Oh yeah, she's also fluent in Japanese (her second language) and of course, she's a straight-A student.

She's known for her killer serve on the courts and puts every ounce of her strength and body weight into it.

But .... her latest endeavor? She decided she wanted to join the Boy Scouts. WTF? I love her to death and she's a GREAT kid, but I just don't get the "girls in Boy Scouts" thing. But whatever ... maybe I'm just a dinosaur. Well, as usual, like anything else she tackles, she took it seriously I guess. She sent me a pic yesterday and informed me she just made Eagle Scout! I guess there are no limits for her as she obviously takes after her Uncle Jimmy. (Ok, ok ... yes I'm proud of her) :encouragement:

DeputyDog
03-11-2021, 09:04 AM
That’s really awesome. My nephew was award his Eagle Scout last year. That takes a lot of work and dedication to get to that level.
Sounds like she has a bright future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Skyz
03-11-2021, 10:30 AM
I don't get it either, but I do appreciate effort, drive, and striving to always progress. She seems to do all those things.

BarryBobPosthole
03-11-2021, 10:52 AM
Eagle Scout is a big accomplishment for any young person. Congrats to the young lady!

BKB

Bwana
03-11-2021, 10:54 AM
Congratulations to your niece on all of her accomplishments. She obviously is a very focused and driven you lady who will attain whatever she sets her mind to.

That being said, I too have an issue with the girls in the Boy Scouts. To my knowledge, there is a group known as the Girl Scouts so what gives? I'm not trying to take away from her and what she has accomplished but am old and just can't help but think why is it wrong with limiting a group to only one of the sexes? After all, there were no girls in the Little Rascals He-man Woman Haters Club. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
03-11-2021, 11:15 AM
Bwana, I agree that there isn’t a thing wrong with having a service organization for kids that is tailored specifically for one gender. Not a thing.
There also isn’t a a thing wrong with having an organization tailored for all kids.

In this case, BSA (four years ago Mr Senior Noticer Thumper) has been facing financial crises, child molestation charges, and a declining membership. This change had nothing to do with correctness, politics, gender bias, and so on, and had everything to do with survival of the organization. It also gives families a single activity all of their kids can participate in, making it easier on the families. Having been involved in scouting with my son and more lately my grandson I can tell you its a time consuming activity. They decided it for themselves. I hope they succeed. I thinkits a good organization, at least on our state and local levels here.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
03-11-2021, 12:13 PM
My oldest is an Eagle Scout and I was a Scouter from Cub Scouts right through Eagle and for a couple of years after. I’m basically ambivalent about the girl thing. A couple of things I’ll note:

1. Sea Scouts and Venture Scouts (both run by the BSSA) have been coed for years right down to the unit level so it’s not entirely new.
2. The BSA Troops are not Coed. So, the units remain either male or Female.
3. GSA and BSA are entirely different programs. It’s way more than just boys in one and girls in the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
03-11-2021, 12:27 PM
Yeppers P-hole, I'm well aware of all that. I was BIG into Scouting and went through Cub Scouts, Weblos, Boy Scouts and Explorers. I never, ever saw, heard of or experienced ANY sort of the abuse that's been publicized lately. I see condemning the Boy Scouts for the abuse is much like condemning the whole Catholic Church for the actions of some perverted priests. Where it gets sticky is where it was ignored or covered up. I don't recall all the details, but I did read up on the bankruptcy thing with the BSA a while back. There were a couple of law firms who spent millions of $$$ advertising and "recruiting" abuse victims and promising big pay-outs from the deep pockets demons of the BSA. I don't know what is true and what's not, but it seems like "baiting" to me. If someone claims sexual abuse 30 years ago when they were 12, how do you prove it's true, or that they may be in it for the money? I see a LOT of room for abuse of another level, but who really knows? ALL of my ex-scout leaders are dead now (yes, I remember who they were, all the way back to Cub Scouts). Can they testify? It's just a screwed up world these days and, although I don't really follow it, I just don't see scouting as being all that popular these days. Heck, when I was a kid, we had "uniform day" once a month where all scouts could (and were encouraged to) wear their uniforms to school for the day. Probably a quarter of the students were in uniform (including Girl Scouts). I was always proud to wear my uniform, but I think these days, many kids would be laughed at. It's just a different world. Heck, as a Scout ... even all the way back to Cub Scouts, a Scout Knife was part of the uniform and hung from a clip fastened to our web belt. Show up at school in (yesteryear's) full Scout uniform today and you'd be arrested. Literally!

It's a different world and I don't know what to believe anymore.

Hombre
03-11-2021, 12:38 PM
Congrats being and eagle scout is something special

BarryBobPosthole
03-11-2021, 12:44 PM
What will frigging amaze you are the assets that the BSA and GSA owns and maintains. I’m not sure of the liquidity ofthe orgs but thenumber of acres and buildings they own is astounding. Just a small part of what the Indian Nations council owns here that I’ve seen on one location is 35,000 acres and its dotted with facilities and roads and campgrounds. Quite a big playground.

BKB

Thumper
03-11-2021, 12:53 PM
I'd say land is a great investment! ;)

Where I have a problem is these huge bazillion dollar churches. I once visited the Crystal Cathedral in L.A. and all I could think of was, "Who the "F" does this benefit?" I believe the Catholic Church owns it now (?). I always wondered how many poor people could be helped with just the annual maintenance costs of a place like that? But, don't get me started down that road. I end up stepping on too many toes once I get wound up. :banghead

Thumper
03-12-2021, 09:16 PM
My oldest is an Eagle Scout and I was a Scouter from Cub Scouts right through Eagle and for a couple of years after. I’m basically ambivalent about the girl thing. A couple of things I’ll note:

2. The BSA Troops are not Coed. So, the units remain either male or Female.

I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the enlightenment. That makes a little more sense.

Heck, I guess it's a sign of the times. Men are allowed into the YWCA and women are allowed into the YMCA, so ..... :huh

quercus alba
03-12-2021, 09:51 PM
Thump, it’s called the neutering of America

LJ3
03-15-2021, 04:47 AM
You people call yourselves noticers?

Jesus H. Fuckstockings

Did the Boy Scouts have unfettered access to cookies before?

Do they now?

Who’s really the smarter gender now?

You think it’s coincidence that there’s a sammich making merit badge in Boy Scouts now?

Get woke, people.