PDA

View Full Version : Where there's a will, there's a way ....

Thumper
04-21-2021, 06:17 PM
I've been in limbo while trying to handle my brother's affairs. You would not believe the b/s I've had to wade through and the pile of "Catch-22's" I've endured while trying to straighten out HIS mess! I finally procured the police report from when he was discovered deceased in his apartment. They have him listed as having "no known next of kin" (they asked the apartment manager and two neighbors). He's been at the funeral home since 3/18 and listed as "no known next of kin". DUH ... I've lived in the same town as him, at the same address for 32 years and am the only one in the book listed with his last name. How hard did they look?

But ... now that I've located him, the real "fun" begins. The apartment manager told me he let a "friend" of my brother clean the place out. I have no idea who this "friend" is and for some reason, the apartment manager (who lives off-site) is not returning my phone calls. My brother did not trust banks and never had a bank account, so any cash he had, would have been in his apartment. He's on Social Security and all sorts of public assistance as he hasn't worked for a bazillion years due to mental issues. I'd assume he's received his Covid relief checks, but have no clue how he would have spent the money since he has no expenses ... doesn't even have a car, but has a free bus pass and a gov't phone. No clue where his cash might be (his "friend" I assume?). The point is, I have NOTHING that was his. I could care less really, but I DO NOT HAVE HIS SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER!

Now, if you don't think that's a big deal .... think again! I've talked to a bazillion departments within the V.A. Without his SS#, I can't get past first base. I called Social Security ... same deal. BUT ... after talking to elebenty-bazillion people in just as many departments, in practically every state in the country, I was finally able to connect with someone working out of her house (the SS office is closed due to Covid) who ended up with four of us on a conference call, including some higher up mucky-muck within the SS system. After about an hour or two of back and forth conversation, I was actually given his full Social Security number over the phone! With all the string-pulling involved, I think I may have been the first person in history to have ever pulled that off! I was finally able to report his passing to the VA and got his Social Security benefits cancelled, although they could not tell me whether anyone has been cashing his checks for the past month+. I still have to cancel his "food stamps" (no clue who, if anyone, is using that perk). His gov't phone is still connected, but goes directly to voicemail when I call, so who knows what the situation is there? I'm now trying to find out who to call to cancel his bus pass.

The real fun starts next Tuesday when I visit the funeral home. Who knows what they'll try to pull since they've been holding him since 3/18? BUT ... they won't be able to get blood from a turnip and I'll simply tell them they'll have to take what they can get from the V.A. As far as I know, I'll be the only attendee at his funeral.

When this b/s is over with, I'm gonna need a vacation ... big time.

Bwana
04-22-2021, 02:24 PM
UGH! So sorry you are having to deal with this Jim.