PDA

View Full Version : Jimbo

BarryBobPosthole
04-24-2021, 09:45 AM
I forgot to ask if you saw any of the SpaceX launch yesterday.

BKB

Thumper
04-25-2021, 06:25 AM
Well dang! I answered this yesterday, but must have forgotten to hit the send button. :huh (sucks getting old)

I'm an early riser and was up by launch time, but totally forgot about it. We had a lot planned yesterday and I guess it slipped my mind as I didn't remember it until I was in the shower (10-15 mins. after launch time). It would have been a great view as it was a beautiful, clear morning, but I blew it. :(

We got an early start ... we headed over to Tampa for a (free) "Shred-A-Thon" and I took 8 hard drives from various computers I've had over the past 30 years or so (I had plans to use them for target practice, but never got around to it). They were old business hard drives as well as personal and were full of business, IRS and personal info, so I finally bid them farewell ... along with a pile of other electronics and old laptop batteries, etc. Then, for lunch, we tried a new Vietnamese place we found on the I-net and Lynn swears it was the best Pho she's ever had. Me? It was excellent, but not sure it was the best as I've also had it on the streets of Saigon. Then we headed over to the Cannabis Fest before heading home. TBH, the launch would have been the pinnacle of my day .... had I remembered it. I'm a dufe. :slaphead

BarryBobPosthole
04-25-2021, 08:25 AM
Falcon9 takes off again from the Cape on 4/28. And it’ll be a nght launch around midnight. Oughta be spectacular!

BKB

Thumper
04-25-2021, 08:45 AM
Yeah, as long as the weather is clear, we have a great view from our pool deck. The good thing is, they normally only launch under good conditions. It's a great light show from here, but nothing like actually being there and close enough to feel the rumble in your chest!

BarryBobPosthole
04-25-2021, 10:09 AM
I’ll bet. The AF Eastern Test Range was pretty active when I was down there and I saw a few night launches from the Cocoa Beach area but nothing big like these rockets.

BKB

Thumper
04-26-2021, 07:59 AM
Back in my early married days when we were pretty much "poor", my ex and I would many times run over to the coast and watch a launch. It was cheap entertainment. There used to be an 800 number (might still be) that you could call and they'd give you the launch dates and times of anything they were launching. I never realized how many launches actually took place from the Cape as we'd do this several times per month. We were living in Orlando and if we were going to the coast, my wife would make a picnic type meal and have everything ready to go when I returned from work, then we'd head over and park on the beach, drag out the lawn chairs, open the car doors so we could hear the updates and launch coverage on the radio, then eat supper on the beach while awaiting the launch. It seems most launches were around 8:00-9:00 pm, so I'd be back in bed early enough to get plenty of sleep for work the next day (if the launch was on a weekday).