PDA

View Full Version : Well, that was a deal! (maybe)

Thumper
02-20-2013, 11:44 AM
We are very close friends with an older couple and spend an awful lot of time with them ... in fact, we get together with them almost every weekend. The husband just retired the end of December but the wife still works, but plans to retire this year. (both in their mid-70's) Anyway, a few years ago, she decided she needed a cell phone. She wanted it ONLY to make/receive calls as all her kids had phones and wanted to be able to reach her whenever they wanted instead of always leaving messages on the home phone voicemail. I gave her an old phone I had sitting in a drawer of my desk. It's an old Motorola and probably one of the best phones I ever owned as far as range was concerned. I had service where there "was no service". I remember at hunt camp, everyone would borrow my phone to call home because they never had service on their own phones. We have an area north of us that has no service at all because it's a National Forest area and they will not allow cell towers to be built. Somehow ... I had service when I'd drive through there, but never knew anyone else that did. I assume I was able to pick up towers on the interstate many miles to the west of there .. not sure. I loved it because it was a "work phone" for me and I needed to be able to make/receive customer calls no matter where I was at the time.

One day I broke my antenna and took it to Verizon for a replacement. I was told the phone was obsolete and they no longer had parts, BUT ... they were all excited about the phone. Every one of them said that was the best phone they ever had ... bar none ... but they all have to use the latest and greatest while working at the Verizon store. All said they'd give anything to have those old phones back. I finally found an antenna on e-Bay and continued to use it. Lynn's finally crapped out and we upgraded ... MANY years ago (I think we've been through two models between that one and the iPhones we have now). I gave my old phone to our friend and she's been using it ever since. I scavenge parts from Lynn's phone to keep it up and running. For instance, when the battery crapped out, I stole the one from Lynns. Yesterday our friend told me that battery will no longer hold a charge and asked what she should do. I told her I seriously doubt I'll be able to find a battery as that phone is a total dinosaur these days (I think it was the first digital phone we ever had).

Yesterday I got on the net looking for a battery. Everytime I thought I found one (they would run $25-$30), it turned out they were out of stock and discontinued. I finally found ONE in Houston and called to make sure they actually had it in stock before I ordered. The guy put me on hold and was gone so long I thought he'd forgotten I was on the line. He finally came back on and said he had to search high and low, but he finally found it. He told me it's so old he'll give it to me for a PENNY! I asked if it was new and he said it's in the factory sealed package, but it's so old he's not sure it's still good. He said I could return it if it's no good, but it wouldn't be worth the postage if I only buy it for $0.01 ... I had to agree and decided to gamble on it. Sooo, the battery is 1 cent and the postage is $6.24 (odd how the total came out to an even $6.50). I think it may be fun to see just how long we can keep this phone operational! We may make the Guinness Book of World Records with this old workhorse! ;)

http://cellphoneforums.net/phonedb/images/Motorola_TIMEPORT_270C_1.jpg

Buckrub
02-20-2013, 12:22 PM
I have one of those in a drawer right here.

BarryBobPosthole
02-20-2013, 12:31 PM
Hey! that's a real PHONE! Imagine that. You can talk on it.

I wish they were all like this.

BKB

Buckrub
02-20-2013, 12:34 PM
Why would I want to talk on a phone? :poke Mine never rings. (And you won't answer yours either!!!)

Thumper
03-10-2013, 03:06 AM
The battery came in before we left for L.A. I charged it up, stuck it in her phone and it's been working like a charm. Not bad for a penny + postage!

Buckrub
03-10-2013, 10:39 AM
So what do you offer me for my Timeport phone?

Thumper
03-10-2013, 06:37 PM
Prolly needs a battery ... and I think I bought the last one in the country. ;)

Buckrub
03-10-2013, 06:50 PM
Has a battery. And a charger.

jb
03-10-2013, 07:31 PM
Ahhhh, $6.24 and 1 cent makes $6.25, not $6.50, so that's how you make your money. :>
and I'm sure I have one just like that in my grandkids playthings.

Thumper
03-10-2013, 08:02 PM
What? $0.01 + $6.24 ain't $6.50? Oops! Sorry 'bout that ... I went to public schools. ;)

Buckrub
03-10-2013, 09:02 PM
For what? about a week???