PDA

View Full Version : Vaccine Patents

BarryBobPosthole
05-07-2021, 10:28 AM
Big Pharma wants to patent the covid vaccines they developed with billions of taxpayer dollars spent to help them do it. Biden wants to waive their patent rights. Ostensibly to help poorer countries manufacture their own vaccines.

Should the developers be allowed to make trillions from the vaccines that they recieved public help to develop or should we consider the technology to bepart of a public trust.

Salk’s comments on why he never patented the polio vaccine were “Can you patent the sun?”

Most vaccines do not have patents today, or they have expired. But there is more to manufacturing vaccines than just wanting to.

Interesting conundrum. It’ll likely come down to a person’s politics yet again on which side is supported.

But it is an interesting question. And either path likely isn’t the end of the world. Or is it?

BKB

Thumper
05-07-2021, 10:55 AM
I say let 'em do it ... but make them accountable for any future side effects. If we all start growing 3rd eyeballs 5 years from now, make them responsible, starting from day one, for the vaccines already administered as well as in the future. If they want to assume complete ownership, let them assume the liability, including the risk of future lawsuits. There wasn't the usual testing and research done to rush these things into production. I understand that and agree with how it was handled, but they shouldn't be able to make those bazillions without assuming some sort of responsibility. I'm not sure what I think about the government dollars that were spent or how (or IF) it should be repaid. I'd have to think getting the economy back up and running much earlier than what "could have been" might outweigh the expense.

I DO agree with you though .... interesting conundrum.

BarryBobPosthole
05-07-2021, 11:09 AM
No. That won’t happen. Your boy Bush and his cronies passed the PREP act, which shields any of thesecompanies from damages due to their vaccines. Its was supposedly a part of the deal to make the vaccines available so soon.
It was simply updatedby Alex Azar to include covid vaccines.

BKB

LJ3
05-07-2021, 12:23 PM
If the pharm companies insist, it seems a fair way would be to figure what percentage of the vaccine the company paid for and what percentage the people paid for. The company can file for that percentage until the patent expires.

You're welcome.

BarryBobPosthole
05-07-2021, 12:35 PM
The thing is, synthetic mRNA tech has been in development for years and could be used for a YUGE number of diseases and for cancer detection.
So the revenue implications are pretty big. Pfizer bet the farm on their mRNA tech.

BKB

Thumper
05-07-2021, 01:15 PM
No. That won’t happen. Your boy Bush and his cronies passed the PREP act, which shields any of these companies from damages due to their vaccines. Its was supposedly a part of the deal to make the vaccines available so soon. It was simply updated by Alex Azar to include covid vaccines. BKB

So? What do ANY acts or deals mean anymore? I was promised free medical care for life if I'd just sign on the dotted line to head for Vietnam. The war ended and a few years later, Congress decided that wasn't such a hot idea and changed the rules. There's now an income based tier level for eligibility and copayments. We saw how temporary rulings can be when Trump and Biden went into office. The FIRST thing either of them did was break out their pens and start cancelling and replacing Executive Orders" .... Congress does the same with their laws and agreements if the current POTUS's party happens to be in the majority. Heck, all Biden could talk about when he took office was to disrupt the Conservative majority on the Supreme Court by changing the rules to allow a couple more justices in there (whom HE would choose!). Heck, lock a bazillion dufes up for smoking pot, then change the pot laws and let 'em back out. Nothing is permanent anymore ... ha! YOU could now become a woman if you want. ;)

Rules, schmules. Agreements ... scha ... ummm, schgree ... uhhh, well, you get the idea. They're not worth the paper they're written on and that includes the Constitution as far as "your" party is concerned. :poke

quercus alba
05-07-2021, 01:27 PM
It doesn't really matter, money talks BS walks and the tax payers take it in the shorts again

johnboy
05-07-2021, 06:56 PM
I find it somewhat ironic that people who refuse to eat GMO foods because they are dangerous will happily accept a 'vaccine' (mRNA - messenger ribonucleic acid) that actually does reprogram your bodies DNA. People are strange.

Arty
05-07-2021, 09:32 PM
If the pharm companies insist, it seems a fair way would be to figure what percentage of the vaccine the company paid for and what percentage the people paid for. The company can file for that percentage until the patent expires.

You're welcome.

Put me down for this solution as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arty
05-07-2021, 09:37 PM
I find it somewhat ironic that people who refuse to eat GMO foods because they are dangerous will happily accept a 'vaccine' (mRNA - messenger ribonucleic acid) that actually does reprogram your bodies DNA. People are strange.

Say huh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
05-08-2021, 01:37 PM
I think John might have it backwards. It is GMO foods that have altered DNA while the vaccine has nothing whatsoever to do with DNA.
BKB

johnboy
05-08-2021, 06:40 PM
Wouldn't the virus and the vaccine be GMO products?