PDA

View Full Version : Florida's quote of the day!

Thumper
05-12-2021, 09:17 AM
'You have to know when to hit them and how hard.'

IMHO, this needs to return to what I grew up with. I remember Coach Cluggish tearing up my buddy's ass one day and it was a definite deterrent from that point forward! He went from asshole to angel after 3 whacks! ;)

Paddling still OK in 19 Florida school districts

Excerpt from today's paper:

While the number of Florida school districts that allow corporal punishment has dwindled over the years to 19 of 67, last year 1,034 students still experienced it.

BarryBobPosthole
05-12-2021, 09:27 AM
To nobody’s surprise, speaking as a recipient of severe thrashing until one caused me to leave home at 17, I don’t believe in corporal punishment, especially by a stranger.

BKB

Thumper
05-12-2021, 10:22 AM
You should’a straightened your ornery ass up, Snowflake. :laughing

quercus alba
05-12-2021, 11:05 AM
Spanking is like any other type of discipline, done correctly it’s highly effective. However, the opposite is also true.

Chicken Dinner
05-12-2021, 11:51 AM
Agree with you 100% QA. A beating is not discipline. Anybody in a position of authority that lays a hand on my kids will have me to deal with. That’s a level of discipline only I get to decide when is appropriate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
05-12-2021, 12:00 PM
Bunch’a pussies. ;)

Hombre
05-12-2021, 01:01 PM
My favorite teacher of all time had a board named Charlie. Charlie was the first kid that got swats and didn't tear up, so he was the first to sign the board. By the time I hit junior high that board had lots of names on it, but it struck fear in every JR high student that entered his gym class. Mr Wilson was funny, stern and caring. You could tell he cared deeply that his student grew up to be good adults. In today's world he probably wouldn't make it past the first week. A few things I'd imagine would get him in trouble

Fights: Fights were always at the train, which was just around the corner from the JR high. If he caught you he'd bring you both in, and pull out the boxing gloves and let it get solved.

Funny saying: He use to always say things like Dupree: you think your a gorilla but your just a circus monkey; or Dupree: you're nothing but a popcorn fart in a whirlwind

Game: We played basketball on those little scooters and you could pull them out from under each other. Eventually someone fractured their coccyx and that ended..but he had a lot of games that seemed to have some sort of violence.

If he wasn't yelling at you, you almost felt left out. He was also the kind of man that showed up to every after school football, basketball and whatever else game. Talked to students about his observations when he thought they were going down a the wrong path. He wasn't just a teacher to teach he lived to impact his student lifes 24x7. I sure do miss him.

BarryBobPosthole
05-12-2021, 02:11 PM
His character souynds like it was shaped by a hell of a lot more than a paddle. Many teachers I grew up with or I know have very similar traits to your old coach and mentor and we’re all lucky to have them. I wish we honored them more instead of undermining them.
BKB

Hombre
05-12-2021, 02:18 PM
For sure Barry. The paddle thing made me think of him, but he gave a lot more life lessons without it.

Thumper
05-12-2021, 04:16 PM
Hombre, I could cut & paste your post and it would be an exact description of Coach Cluggish, my Jr. High gym coach and wood shop teacher. I guess you could say he was a gentle giant as he was 7’2” tall and a HUGE mf’er, but there wasn’t a bad bone in his body. He just wanted his students to always be headed down the right path and would help steer them in any way he could. As for the paddle, my parents sure didn’t “spare the rod”, but I’ll be the first to admit I was NEVER whacked when I didn’t totally deserve it. (And NO hard feelings on my part) IMO, there’s a big difference between abuse and discipline, and I sincerely believe discipline is severely lacking these days. Sorry, but “time outs” don’t do squat.

Hombre
05-13-2021, 10:14 AM
Thump - They sure don't seem to make like that anymore. And, I'm with you "I never got whacked when I didn't deserve it". Heck I'd say I probably have a few "still have it coming" gaining interest somewhere!