PDA

View Full Version : Long Range Forecasts

Buckrub
02-20-2013, 12:33 PM
When asked what the weather is "supposed to do", I always say "I dunno, the weather will be mostly on the outside". I never really care. It is what it is today. I have a Weather Rock, it's 100% accurate.

But what makes me tickled is an observation I've made about long range forecasts, especially in Winter. Not sure why they do it, or even try, but most TV Weather, and Intellicast, and Weather Channel, and ALL of them..........will give 7-10 days of forecasts. That just tickles me I've started mentally charting these. For example, today is Wednesday. I'll look at the forecast today for Monday, February 25 (for example). Tomorrow I'll look again at the long range forecast for Monday, Feb 25. Do it again every day, till Monday gets here. Then observe Monday when it actually happens.

The differences are not just funny, they are literally amazing. Oh, in the hot summertime, they sort of get it right. But anyone can, then, quite often. Other times, it's hilarious. I have no clue why they bother, it's so far off.

Yet, many folks......heck, MOST folks.......(My Mother is a literal weather forecast junkie) will say "They say it's going to be nice Monday" and almost always they bank on that. Plan on it.

This happened again yesterday, my fishing buddy told me Monday "Hey, let's go fishing Friday, it's supposed to be nice". I checked Intellicast, and sure enough it said nice on Friday. Yesterday, one day later, we were having lunch and the TV showed local weather at noon, and looks like we are in for several days of very cold, ice, snow, rain, YUCK......starting today.

HA!!! I just emailed him and said "You need to ask the weatherman to go fishing with you. He might believe your fishing stories as much as you believe his forecasts!!"...

Wish I had had a job where I could be wrong every day, and still get paid.

Ever listen closely to the TV Weather Forecasts. EVERY day, they go like this..........."First, let me explain in detail why I was wrong yesterday. Second, let me tell you what it will do tomorrow. Trust me".........

*snort* Funny Stuff.......doesn't matter to me what the weather IS, it just is what it is, and I adjust. Funny is listening to these guys be so wrong every time, and never giving up.