PDA

View Full Version : WTF have I done?

Thumper
05-15-2021, 09:56 AM
If you're not in the market right now, you'll swear I'm FOS, but when it comes to motorhomes right now, it's a SELLER'S market. NOT a good place to be when you're a buyer. Anyway, I've been wanting a motorhome for about a year or more, but didn't get real serious about it until about 6-months ago. There are pro's and con's for EVERYTHING and deciding what sort of "camper" you want is a daunting task. Thank God for the Internet and it's endless supply of blogs, etc. for research. A newbie could be screwed big time without research. I went from wanting a bumper pull, to a 5th wheel to a motorhome. Even once you decide which one you want, it's STILL a tough, tough, TOUGH road to decided how to go. B-class, B-plus, C-class, C-Plus, Class-A, Class-A diesel pusher (THAT was a VERY easy "no), but the option is there. Then you get into length, an endless choice of floor plans and a truck load of options. Not to mention, gas or diesel for your power unit?

If you haven't priced motorhomes lately, you'd be floored! One reason is they're pricey mf'ers to begin with, but Covid has turned the tide to a seller's market. People are cooped up at home and hitting the road to "get out of the house". They're buying these things like it's the end of the world, literally. At first, I thought it was sales hype and I'm too "smart" to fall for that b/s. We'd find what we wanted and try to negotiate a discount. We'd just get laughed out of the dealership and by time we walked to the car (waiting for them to chase me down and beg me to come back in), somebody would buy the unit we were interested in. This happened THREE times in our earlier shopping days. Frustrating, but I learned the hard way, it really IS a seller's market and some popular units are actually bringing OVER MSRP!

We were in Ft. Myers a couple weeks ago and spotted a unit at a dealer. We called and found it had just been traded (almost new, but owner decided he wanted something bigger). We told the dealer we'd be in in around 30-mins. Got there ... it was sold! BUT ... they had another trade that came in, same deal, used, but only 4500 miles ... we weren't sure we wanted to go that route and told them we'd think about it. On the way back to the hotel, we decided to pull the trigger and called our salesman to let him know we were turning around to talk seriously about the unit. As we were talking, another salesman stuck his head in the door and told our guy he'd just sold the unit!

THAT ... boys and girls, is just how hot the market is right now. Up to the present. Yesterday we arrived in Orlando for the weekend and while we were waiting for our lunch to be served, Lynn was on the I-net and found the exact unit we've been wanting. It was at a dealer about 30-mins. north of where we'd stopped for lunch. We called a salesperson and said we'd be right over, wolfed down our lunch and hit the road. It was EXACTLY what we wanted, but used (2020 model w/3000 miles). It had just been traded in and the sales person asked us how we knew the unit was there. We said it was on the internet! Turns out that was a mistake as it hadn't even been serviced yet and was listed prematurely. In fact, they immediately pulled the ad. BUT, before that was done, another couple from Miami had called to inform them they were on the way to buy it (a 250-mi. trip). We took a quick look-over and snapped it up just before the Miami couple showed up. They'd hit a traffic jam on the way and it held them up. They were PISSED to find out it had already been sold! Oh, on another note, if you're in the market, the dealers won't even take a deposit any more. If you want it, you'd better be ready to pull the trigger immediately or it'll be gone. Why take a deposit so somebody can "think about it", when there are 10 people in line behind you with cash in their hands?

Oh, the insane prices I mentioned? This model STARTS with a $172,000 BASE price (MSRP) and ours has $40,000 of options. Crap man, that's more than I paid for my frigging HOUSE! Ok dufes, we're heading out for the dealer to sign the final paperwork right now. We'll be back next week to pick it up. 'Course, it'll have to sit in the driveway 'cause I can't afford the fuel to move it now. :crybaby

BarryBobPosthole
05-15-2021, 10:34 AM
You can come visit, butyou can’t empty your shitter in the storm drain.

BKB

DeputyDog
05-15-2021, 10:46 AM
Hope you enjoy it. You and Bucky can be traveling partners now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quercus alba
05-15-2021, 11:30 AM
He can deliver all his Ebay sales and save on postage

DeputyDog
05-15-2021, 11:37 AM
You can come visit, butyou can’t empty your shitter in the storm drain.

BKB

He didn’t rule out his pool though. [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Penguin
05-15-2021, 12:15 PM
I remember looking at a few of those way back in the late 90s when some of them were using the CAT 12 liter engine I was a design engineer on. They were pretty amazing even back then. Can't imagine how much moreso they would be now.

Out of my price range for sure. :)

But if you've got the thing sitting in the driveway who cares what it costs. Figure out a way to visit some cool places and people and drive the wheels off it. If I had one I would probably go on a trip out to the 4 corners region and scope out some of the cool Anasazi ruins. Always wanted to go see what that looked like.

Will

johnboy
05-15-2021, 12:41 PM
So what did you finally buy? Details boy, we need details!

Thumper
05-15-2021, 02:12 PM
Just left the dealer after a shake down cruise. Headed to lunch now, then to visit my cousin. They’re going to get it all serviced and cleaned up. We’ll come back during the week for final walkthrough and delivery. Winnebago Navion 24D, Mercedes Sprinter chassis. Diesel generator, solar, alum. wheels, full body paint and a bunch’a junk I don’t remember. Nice rig.

johnboy
05-15-2021, 02:20 PM
That's a nice unit. Handy size. Diesel should give you better mileage, fer sure. Congrats!

Hombre
05-15-2021, 07:58 PM
Congrats I really think with your adventurous nature and laid back attitude it's going to really work for you

BarryBobPosthole
05-16-2021, 08:21 AM
Right. Just wait until he takes out the KFC drive through window.
BKB

Penguin
05-16-2021, 10:35 AM
Hehe. :p

Speaking of chicken, what's the kitchen like in that thing Jim?

Will

FooBang
05-16-2021, 04:15 PM
Sounds like fun! I have been considering doing something. I dunno what yet. :D Gotta figure out where I'm gonna live first, I suppose. Paying NJ taxes when I don't go into the city is a colossal waste of money. Would rather put it toward something like that. Or a hunting cabin or something.

Bwana
05-17-2021, 02:19 PM
Congratulations to you on the new payment plan Jim! Let the adventures begin!!

I can almost see the YouTube channel already.

Big Skyz
05-17-2021, 02:53 PM
There is a huge part of me that would like to just retire, buy a motor home, and never stay in the same place for more than a few weeks for the rest of my life. I'm more than a little envious.

Thumper
05-18-2021, 06:38 AM
Speaking of chicken, what's the kitchen like in that thing Jim? Will

Sorry Willie, I forgot to answer this as things have been a bit hectic the past few days. I don't pay much attention to the kitchen ... that's Lynn's job! ;)

She likes the counter space and tons of storage, plus a huge refrigerator/freezer. There's a gas burner and a conduction cooktop (whatever that is), as well as a microwave and convection oven. She also has an Instant Pot (pressure cooker, sauté pan, steamer, slow cooker, rice cooker, food warmer, and yogurt maker) as well as the outside gas grill. Nice kitchen touches here and there, like the fact the interior of the drawers light up when opened and there's even a large storage space behind the swing-out tv. There's plenty of overhead lighting as well as LED strip lighting ... all have dimmers and a full length window behind the counter area. It has a double sink with removable cutting boards that fit across the openings (as seen in the pic). There's also an outside "entertainment/kitchen" area with water, gas hook-ups for an outside grill, tv/cable, o/s speakers for the entertainment center located inside and prolly stuff I've forgotten.

BarryBobPosthole
05-18-2021, 06:40 AM
I believe on a vessel, land or sea, its called a galley you unwashed nonbelievers.

BKB

Thumper
05-18-2021, 06:54 AM
I snapped a few pics after the test drive, before it was serviced and cleaned up. Practically the whole left side is a slide-out.

12566 12567 12568

BarryBobPosthole
05-18-2021, 07:53 AM
Wonder what the top end is?

Nice unit, Jim! My estimate is it’ll take about a nanosecond before that sweet lady of yours has you going the wrong direction on that LA Freeway Jerry Jeff sang about.

BKB

Thumper
05-18-2021, 07:58 AM
I believe on a vessel, land or sea, its called a galley you unwashed nonbelievers. BKB

Ha! Argue your point with Winnebago! (from their brochure)

Hit the road knowing that you have all that you need at your fingertips in this motorhome. Creating meals and snacks will be easy in the kitchen because of the two-burner induction and LP range cooktop, the microwave convection oven, and the double-door refrigerator/freezer will keep all of your perishable items cold and fresh.

BarryBobPosthole
05-18-2021, 08:03 AM
That was written for regular people, Thumper. Not insiders like us.

BKB

Thumper
05-18-2021, 08:07 AM
Wonder what the top end is?

Nice unit, Jim! My estimate is it’ll take about a nanosecond before that sweet lady of yours has you going the wrong direction on that LA Freeway Jerry Jeff sang about. BKB

No clue, and I doubt I'll ever try to find out! It's a tank, but I'm glad I went with the Mercedes chassis. I drove quite a few gassers and they are NOISY as all get-out, but what sold me is the difference in fuel mileage. These things aren't persactly aerodynamic. The gassers get around 6-8 mpg and this puppy gets quite a bit better. (My brother has the same chassis and has gotten as high as 19.5 mpg, but averages right at 18 mpg, but his is a Class-B, a bit smaller and lighter than mine. This is from the brochure, but it's pretty much backed up by the blogs I've read.

Take luxury living on the road with the View and Navion, and experience the performance, towing power, and fuel economy at 16 to 18 mpg highway of the reputable Mercedes Benz Sprinter.

BarryBobPosthole
05-18-2021, 08:19 AM
Can you post a picture of you climbing up that ladder?

BKB

Penguin
05-18-2021, 08:21 AM
Now that is nice Jim. Really nice.

One of my dad's old 8th & I buddies has an old one about that size and spends months every year on the road. Hell he stopped by and saw me at work when I was up in Minnesota one time.

Enjoy it buddy.

Wikl

Hombre
05-18-2021, 10:56 AM
Make sure you avoid the poo dam! and, congrats.

johnboy
05-18-2021, 11:39 AM
Get the best, top quality sewer hose you can find. None of that cheap crap (no pun intended) that usually comes with the unit. Also an extension or two. Makes a huge diff when dumping tanks. Trust me, I know from experience what a mess a cheap hose can cause. Phew!

BarryBobPosthole
05-18-2021, 11:41 AM
A poo dam sounds like something Thumper would be really susceptible to. Some might even call it a poo-nami. Hope that system is up to it!

BKB

johnboy
05-18-2021, 11:47 AM
Wonder what the capacity of the black tank might be?

BarryBobPosthole
05-18-2021, 11:49 AM
Prolly about one trip to the aforementioned KFC drive-thru would be my guess.
BKB

Thumper
05-18-2021, 12:27 PM
31-gal. fresh, 41-gal. grey and 41-gal. black. I should be able to top off the black in a few hours. ;)

Bwana
05-18-2021, 05:52 PM
Mighty fine looking outfit Thumper.