PDA

View Full Version : Hey Thump

DeputyDog
05-19-2021, 02:46 PM
I remember you talking about Bill Stroppe and his off-road Broncos. The most famous one is up for sale. Think you can swing it with your eBay proceeds after buying the RV? [emoji16]

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0521-461979/1969-ford-bronco-big-oly/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
05-19-2021, 03:15 PM
That’d tow real nice behind that tenement on wheels.

BKB

Thumper
05-19-2021, 07:57 PM
Yeppers, Willie (Bill Jr.) told me about it a few months ago when it was still a "secret". They took it to quite a few auctions to show (I think it was in a glass case) and build interest. I think it went to Phoenix, then Houston, before hitting Indy. Parnelli is friends with Mecum and Big Oly is supposed to hit the block on Friday. The big thing is (and I'm not sure if this is supposed to be public or not ... hope I'm not planting my foot in my mouth) ... there is a lot of interest from some bazillionaire in Germany as well as some bottomless money pits in Saudi Arabia ... but they really want to keep the car here in the U.S. I doubt there's a way to prevent it from going overseas, as a foreign buyer could simply have a U.S. agent make the purchase, then ship it. Who knows what will happen? Oh, BTW, I think Parnelli is also selling Ol’ Calhoun ('63 Indy winner) ... I believe at the same auction. The original is in the Indy Museum, but Parnelli built an exact replica and it's going to hit the block also. I think he's also selling a few of his street cars, including two Saleen Mustangs (he owns #1 and #3) and one of Mario's F-1 cars. He's in his late 80's and figures it's time to start getting rid of stuff. He still goes to the office most days, but he's slowing down and wants to thin out his collection and fully retire.

Oh, the ad shows "call for estimate" regarding the expected auction price for Big Oly. I asked Willie how much he thought it would sell for and he said it'll start at 1.5 mil, but he thinks it'll prolly bring 5 mil. at auction. Dang! I'm sure I'll be outbid! ;)

BTW, the Stroppe crew stayed here at my house back in the early 90's while they were down here for the St. Pete Grand Prix. I've always wished I'd have taken a pic of the hauler sitting in my driveway. P.J. (Parnelli Jr.) was driving for Stroppe at that time. :thumbsup

DeputyDog
05-19-2021, 08:32 PM
There’s a Shelby GT 350 in there too.

He’s the oldest living Indy winner even though Foyt won the 500 two years before ol Rufus did.

I’ve been thinking, after Bobby Unser died, how many of the guys that made INDYCAR so big, like him, Foyt, Parnelli, Al Unser, Mario, Gordon Johncock, and Johnny Rutherford are all in their 80’s and will all be gone sooner than later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
05-19-2021, 09:08 PM
Yessir, seeing all those people I grew up with, dropping like flies, just makes me feel older. :crybaby

Yeah, I just looked at the auction info and do see those other cars listed now. I've been out all day and just settled down to look at all that stuff. I wish I were rich. :(

<iframe width="1920" height="1200" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5U__-I1YHmc" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thumper
05-19-2021, 09:22 PM
BTW, the Ford Nationals will be in Carlisle, PA next month and Stroppe will be there. If you can find your way 8 or so hours East of Indy, tell him Jimmy sent you and maybe he'll slip you a free pass. ;)

Seriously, he's a great friend and back in the day, I think I slept more nights at his house than I spent at my own. (usually because I was too drunk to make it home!) We've had some crazy times together and I really miss those days, but at least we stay in touch.

Thumper
05-22-2021, 05:21 PM
Looks like Big Oly went for 1.87 million (1.7 hammer price) yesterday. I may put in a call to Willie and see if he knows the buyer. Whomever it is, I hope the truck stays in the U.S.

BTW, both Parnelli and P.J. were on the front row at the auction.

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qlVVbxO411M" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>