PDA

View Full Version : Gots anything ya' wanna sell?

Thumper
05-20-2021, 06:47 PM
On my motorhome post, I mentioned it's a seller's market right now. For almost EVERYTHING motorized! I explained the motorhome market is so hot, the dealers are cancelling their RV Shows because they have no inventory. Everything sells as soon as it hits the lot. Seriously, we lost a string of deals because we took an hour or so to "think about it". The way we got ours was, we walked in and simply said, "We'll take it!" .... just minutes before another couple walked in after a 250-mile drive (from Miami) to buy it. THIS time, we were first ... after losing everything else we'd considered buying.

Cars? Same deal. With this computer chip fiasco, dealers have no NEW cars to sell. The USED car market has exploded and people are buying used because there are no NEW cars in inventory. Prices? Ha! You'll pay more for a used car than it sold for new! And dealers will just laugh at you if you try to negotiate ... the price they slap on the windshield, is the price you'll pay. It worked in reverse when I traded my truck in on the motorhome. My Tacoma is 6 years old and they gave me as much in trade as what I paid for it new! And I don't mean they padded the price to inflate the trade ... I never mentioned the trade until AFTER I'd closed the deal for the final price. They thought I was paying cash and I dropped the bomb on them afterwards. In THIS instance, I was in the driver's seat for a change and told THEM what they were going to give me for my trade. They offered $3000 less, but I told them nope, they pay what I asked ... and they did!

What's the problem with that? I wanted a car I could use for transportation as well as tow behind the motorhome if I wanted. Now the DEALER is back in the driver's seat. Their prices are asinine! You can't get a new car these days, so you'll pay new car prices for a used car! No shit! And if you need a car, you WILL pay it ... or the person standing behind you will pay it! I just went through the same deal with a used car as I did with the motorhome. I've had 4 cars sold out from under me before I could make a deal. Yesterday, I drove 170 miles (round trip) to look at a car, but the dealer (Sales Manager) was a total ass, slapped on a pile of bullshit dealer fees, etc. on the deal and wouldn't budge. I told him to shove the car up his hairy, smelly ass and walked ... but on the way out, apologized to the salesman for wasting his time (I liked him, but his hands were tied).

Well, I found another car I want in Atlanta today and have made a deal over the phone. I'm leaving at 4:00 am for a 900-mile round trip to buy this thing. They (like most these days) will not take a deposit, so it could bite me in the ass like the Miami couple I beat to the punch on the motorhome, but my salesman said he's going to hide the car behind the Service Department and "accidently" forget to take the keys out of his pocket when he goes home tonight. That's how frigging CRAZY the business is right now. Now ... am I buying some rare, highly sought after Corvette or sumpin? No sir, I'm buying a frigging BOTTOM OF THE LINE Nissan Versa! I mean the absolute bottom model they make ... a Versa S model! With a MANUAL transmission no less. Totally nutz .... buying probably the most UNdesirable car Nissan makes. Don't believe me ... go try to buy sumpin' and get back to me with how it goes.

Coincidentally, my neighbor called me yesterday and said their son's POS car blew up a few weeks ago, so they gave him the wife's car (she's working from home through the Covid thing) and are looking to buy the wife a new car. What they want, they can't get, so they've decided to buy used. He told me the prices are insane and the dealer will not discount them one penny! He asked for my help in case I ran across one at an estate sale or know somebody with a car for sale. I told him, coincidently, I was sitting in a dealer's sales office as we were speaking .... TRYING to buy a used car! (this was about 15-mins. before I told the Sales Manager to kiss my rosey red ass and walked out).

I talked to my neighbor this morning and explained the market and he informed me it's just the same with 4-wheelers, jet skis, PWC's ... you name it.

SO ... if'n ya' have an extra vehicle ... or toy ... layin' around that you don't need ... just name your price and SOMEBODY will buy it!

Thumper
05-21-2021, 04:31 AM
Well, here it is 4:30 am and I'm just walking out the door to drive to Hotlanta to buy a frigging VERSA! We'll drive up, buy it, and Lynn will have to follow me back home in her car. (That is, IF one of the other salesmen doesn't spot it hidden on the lot and sell it out from under me.) I mean, who drives a VERSA?? Ridiculous!

BarryBobPosthole
05-21-2021, 06:18 AM

HideHunter
05-21-2021, 09:45 AM
Talking to the guy I bought my 2014 Ram from.. Under 60 thousand miles. He said it would bring $5,000 more than I gave for it 3 years ago..

Thumper
05-22-2021, 09:32 AM
Ha ha ha! Hidey-Ho, I had to re-read that about 5 times before I finally understood what you were saying! Yessir, that's persactly what I'm talkin' about. IF you should happen to have a spare vehicle layin' around that you can live without, this is the prime time to sell it. If you can hold out on buying a replacement, I foresee the market becoming flooded and prices dropping like a rock once this Covid and computer chip b/s is behind us.

Thumper
05-22-2021, 12:24 PM
Now, THAT'S how to buy a "used" car!

Lynn and I made the drive to Atlanta yesterday to buy a "used" car to tow behind the motorhome. I haven't bought a used car in close to 30 years, but considering what I needed it for, I figured used was the way to go. I know the advantages of used over new, mainly being the mountain of depreciation the minute a new car is driven off the lot. BUT ... I also know the DISADVANTAGES of buying used ... you may just be inheriting somebody else's problems. Anyway, the car I was looking for proved extremely difficult to find in the condition and price range I wanted. I had two things working against me ... one is that the used car market is on steroids right now and you're going to pay through the nose for a decent used car. Number two is, the car I wanted had a total styling change and upgrade with the 2020 model year and a 2019 is dogmeat compared to a 2020/2021. Oh well, that just means I'd need to buy "lightly" used at a higher price point to be happy with it.

Ok, we dug around on the internet and found a few that were grossly overpriced and NOBODY is willing to negotiate. It's a "take it or leave it" world out there right now. THEN, Lynn was doing some internet shopping and found this one on the net. WTF? It's a 2021 with only 1700 (1701 to be exact) miles on it and it's priced BELOW market value. More like a pre-computer chip shortage price! The flags flew up immediately. Has it been wrecked? Is it a lemon? There HAS to be a catch. I pulled the CarFax and it was manufactured in November, then delivered to the dealer in December. The weird part? It was sold in February with 12 miles on the clock and traded in in MARCH with 1700 miles logged. WTF? Sumpin' ain't right here. I talked to the dealer and they said the guy who traded it, bought it to take on a trip, but upon returning, had made up his mind he wanted something bigger. He had it 1-month and 3-days, so I ended up with a used car that has all but 1-month of it's original factory warranty left on it.

Needless to say, I bought it immediately and it's persactly what I wanted ... at the persact price I was willing to pay (actually, a couple hunnert bucks UNDER what I was willing to pay!). It was a quick deal as I simply drove up, looked at it, ran it around on a 5-mile road test, paid cash for the car and drove it home. They even gave me a full tank of gas for the trip back. I told the F&I guy to not even bother with his upsell bullshit and simply print the papers for me to sign once I returned from the road test so I could get out of there. They were all on the desk, awaiting my signature, upon my return. Sign and ride ... the quickest car deal I've ever done. I then made the 450 mile return home with Lynn following in her car and it was a flawless trip. For all practical purposes, this thing is literally a "used" car straight off the "new car" showroom floor for a used car price. So far, so good. (knock on wood)

DeputyDog
05-22-2021, 12:43 PM
I went through the same thing last fall when we were looking for a first car for my daughter. Did the whole internet thing and found a bunch of overpriced used cars that were definitely “used”.

Happened to get lucky as we went into a dealership and looked at the ones on the lot, which were all priced way above what I wanted to spend on a first car, and got caught by one of the salesmen. Told him I didn’t want to spend near what they had the ones priced for and found out they had just taken a car in on trade and they hadn’t had a chance to do anything as far as clean up on it yet. I test drove it and it was exactly what we were looking for.

We got her a 2009 Acura RDX with 110k. Thing looked almost new inside and out. Got it for $9000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
05-22-2021, 01:26 PM
This is what I'd call an "entry level" car. What I was up against is the fact I wanted a LIGHT (as in weight) car to tow as the particular motorhome I bought only tows 5000-lbs. Plus, I wanted to "flat-tow" it as I didn't want to screw with a dolly or trailer. There are VERY few vehicles you can do that with these days, but this one is on the list and only weighs 2600 lbs. The fact it's pretty much loaded with almost every available option EXCEPT an automatic transmission (it HAS to be a manual trans to flat tow) made this the perfect car. Heck, a "brand new" 2021 and they had it listed at $16,500, so it was pretty much a no-brainer. I'm not crazy about white, but it's a good "Florida color" with the heat. This is from the dealer's ad. It was actually a much nicer car than I expected .... AND I can fit into it! ;)

12578 12579

DeputyDog
05-22-2021, 03:12 PM
Luckily I didn’t have to be so specific on what I was looking for. I wanted something with a decent crash rating and record of dependability. Being all wheel drive is a plus for NE Indiana.

I got the RDX turbo with the sport handling all wheel drive package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk