PDA

View Full Version : Covid fatigue

johnboy
05-25-2021, 05:27 PM
No, not from the virus but from the fight against the virus. Covid Lockdown Syndrom - Covid fatigue - just bone weary tired with everything about Covid. Just listened to our Premier of BC tell us that lockdowns will continue until morale improves. More and more and more of the same that hasn't worked before and won't work now. Our leaders are lost.

Many of your States seem to have figured it out - Florida as a prime example but Canada continues with repressive lockdown protocols and travel restrictions across the country. My Missus, bless her heart, is in an absolute blue funk because she can't go to Ab to see the kids. We just had our 51'st wedding anniversary and managed to squeeze a couple of days down Island at a nice resort (we were 'allowed' to go that far) but last years 50 year anniversary was a no go anywhere. Plans cancelled.

Another year shot? At our age we can't afford to lose years of our lives.

I'm really happy to see your country start to open up again. Not sure what it will take for Canadians to say 'Enough". Trying to stay positive but....

BarryBobPosthole
05-25-2021, 05:45 PM
John, I respect the hell out of you and like you. The time we spent fishing, and well, drinking with Tee Dub and the GH gange that went is a lifetime memory.

Of course now I’m gonna tell you that according to Johns Hopkins, which has no political agenda, Canada’s covid deaths per 100k people are about a third of the United States’. In Canada 67 people out of every 100,000 died. In the US 177/100k have died. We fucked up Covid here by the numbers and a lot of people died unnecessarily. Our economy is fucked up in ways we’ve yet to discover.

Canada’s problem is you are still wide open to new cases and every variant out there. Why? Only 4.4% of the Canadian population is vaccinated. In America we’re close to 50%. That’s the ONLY reason businesses are able to open. Even in states where conservative politicans ranted and raved about liberties and proclaimed things open, public businesses remained closed. Nobody wanted that liability. Its all hot air. Now that our cases have dropped, again from the vaccinations, shit is opening up faster than ever. It’s like that line in Bull Durham, ‘It’s a simple game’. Get vaxed. I’m not sure what the issue is in Canada, but that’s the nut of why you can’t open.

BKB

Penguin
05-26-2021, 08:45 AM
Johnboy, man I hear you. I really do. I think you are in the 10 ring as far as frustration goes. Most of us feel the same if we're honest.

Mistakes were always going to be made. Stories were always going to be wrong. In this day and age we won't know exactly what the right course should have been till long hence. With the sorry excuse for a press corps that we're saddled with maybe not even then.

My opinion? If you don't have an N95 or better then don't bother wearing a mask. If you're outside toss them all. If you're sick stay home. Any lockdown should be brief, localized, and very short. Old and inform are vulnerable and should be protected... the rest of the world? Just live baby. (courtesy of Al Davis ☺)

Course that's just one old mechanic's opinion.

Will

johnboy
05-26-2021, 01:33 PM
Saddest thing I saw the other day - walking the dog around our big sporting complex (ball, soccer fields etc.) when I see a group of high school students come out of the woods. A beautiful, sunny morning with lots of fresh air and they are all wearing masks. Watched a young student head off to catch the school bus this morning, all alone, blustery wind and wearing a mask. Sad isn't a big enough word to explain how I feel about what we have done to our kids.

Chicken Dinner
05-27-2021, 09:05 AM
I hear you on the fatigue Johnboy. We went 15 months without seeing our parents and them not seeing their grandkids except a couple of backyard socially distanced visits. I’ve got a high schooler and a college student who both spent their junior year’s online. No football games, dances or any other significant social interaction. I’ve been online for work for the whole time. (Glad to be working just the same!) Thankfully, we’re all vaccinated now and have been able to get together over the last few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Skyz
05-27-2021, 09:14 AM
While Utah has been pretty progressive in getting things back to normal as much as possible we are now starting to deal with the fall out. I was talking to the school counselor last week and the rate of mental illness among the students has skyrocketed. I won't, and can't go into much detail, but I can it's some serious stuff and I fear some of these issues will never be resolved. So if it's happening in small town USA where I live, I can only imagine what is going in larger cities where a number of schools are still not face to face. Isolating children from elementary all the way up through high school has been extremely unhealthy for them.

BarryBobPosthole
05-27-2021, 10:03 AM
My sister and bro-in-law teach in rural small town Oklahoma and she has made the same observations.

Tough year for youngsters.

I wonder how the charter school advocates, which is 90+% online instruction, deal with those issues? Are we signing our kids up for these same issues with this so called school choice stuff?

\BKB