PDA

View Full Version : Man-o-man, what a learning curve!

Thumper
05-31-2021, 07:33 AM
Being new to this motorhome thing has been a rude awakening ... but an interesting and fun one at the same time. There is a LOT to learn about this stuff and I've spent every day lately just watching videos and tinkering around that beast sitting in the driveway. It ain't like the old days when all I needed was a sleeping bag and a cooler of beer to go camping! ;)

Anyway, I've been slowly scratching the things together to outfit this thing and will hopefully take it on a short, shake-down cruise to a campground close to home, just to get our feet wet and discover whatever it is I've forgotten to include. I will say, the neighbors are excited and there aren't many who haven't dropped in for a tour.

Oh well, I got's ta' get out of here to buy a few other small items I think we'll need to make life on the road a bit more comfortable. In the meantime, I found a dealer video that pretty much shows what this thing looks like ... it's the same year (2020) and exact model, right down to the paint scheme (not my first choice for the Florida sun/heat, but classy anyway). The video is a bit quick, as I never get a chance to really look at one pic before the next one appears, but it's a good representation regardless. Sure beats the old '81 Toyota long bed with a camper shell on the back that Lynn and I used to camp in! (NOT a camper, just a shell with an air mattress thrown in the bed) ;)

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hjmQUlbn0XA" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chicken Dinner
05-31-2021, 08:51 AM
Nice looking rig Thump!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bwana
06-01-2021, 12:20 PM
Wow! Let the games begin!!

Looks like quite the ride and hopefully it bring lots of enjoyment for the two of you.

Hombre
06-01-2021, 12:42 PM
We did several shorter 3 day trips when we first got ours, and they are really worth it. You'll figure things out pretty quickly when traveling with it. In September we took ours on a 30 day trip through Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, and eventually down to Oklahoma before heading back to Washington. By the time that trip was over I felt pretty comfortable with everything. Just a few quick thoughts of things you'll want

Plug adapter 15, 30, 50 amp.

Happy Camper (this is a must)

basic tool set

Water filter

BarryBobPosthole
06-01-2021, 12:47 PM
I wonder........has Thumper ran across any of those things in his estate sale travels?

BKB

Chicken Dinner
06-01-2021, 01:32 PM
I’m thinking he better double up on that Happy Camper order.

BarryBobPosthole
06-01-2021, 02:05 PM
Betcha he still hasn’t inaugurated it.

At his age he prolly forgot.

BKB

Thumper
06-01-2021, 02:15 PM
We did several shorter 3 day trips when we first got ours, and they are really worth it. You'll figure things out pretty quickly when traveling with it. In September we took ours on a 30 day trip through Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, and eventually down to Oklahoma before heading back to Washington. By the time that trip was over I felt pretty comfortable with everything. Just a few quick thoughts of things you'll want

Plug adapter 15, 30, 50 amp.

Happy Camper (this is a must)

basic tool set

Water filter

Yeppers, I can put a checkmark next to all of 'em. ;)

P-hole, that's one thing that really sucks. In all the years I've been going to estate sales, many, MANY of them had ... or had had motorhomes. I could have bought ALL the little crap I need for pennies on the dollar, but none of it was on my radar at the time, so I had zero interest. It SUCKS to be gathering all this stuff now and paying retail! ARRRGGHHH!! :banghead

johnboy
06-02-2021, 12:35 PM
What's the mattress like? I've replaced the factory torture board with an after market mattress in pretty much every rv I've owned. Can you do that with the murphy bed setup in your rig?

Thumper
06-02-2021, 01:13 PM
I'm not really sure Johnboy, but on most of the blogs I've read, people put foam toppers on them with no problems as far as bed operation go. In fact, one owner said they store their folding picnic table (I think one of those 3'x6' tables that fold in half to 3'x3') with no problem. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Arty
06-02-2021, 09:02 PM
Cant hide money!

Hey,
Does your big Carcass fit in the shower? I BARELY fit in the shower of our little ‘new to us’ camper.

Thumper
06-03-2021, 06:01 AM
Of course I fit! The shower is 24" x 32" and I measure 23-1/2" x 31-1/2". Piece o' cake! ;)

Oh yeah, height is NO problem ... I think it must be something like 7' or so!

('Course, most campgrounds have showers and I'd rather not have to make Lynn clean the shower in the rv.) ;)

From my old truck driving days, I also know the secret to free showers at truck stops. If you've never used one, it's a great option. The larger truck stop showers are cleaned constantly and they even supply the towels. TBH, I don't ever recall a crappy/nasty shower stall in a major truck stop. 'Course, I'm talking about a long road trip. For the weekend camper, this prolly wouldn't be a practical option and the campground showers would be the way to go ... unless you're boondocking.