PDA

View Full Version : When is racism, NOT racism?

Thumper
06-04-2021, 09:36 AM
I opened my news page to this headline this morning.

Covid-19 decimated Black women-owned businesses

Ummm, this little town has seen dozens of small businesses fold up during this covid mess. One was a very popular Asian Buffet that we frequent (or used to). It was owned by a Chinese family. The other was a small mom & pop restaurant that's been a staple in town for a bazillion years. They threw in the towel, were forced into early retirement and found they could not sell a small mom & pop restaurant during these times ... who'd be fool enough to buy a business that can't operate and has already decimated the long-time business owners? (who happen to be Hispanic BTW) That's just a very small example, but there are tons of them out there and there are also WHITE owned business that have gone down the tubes due to Covid, I simply mentioned a couple I have personal experience with.

My question is, why doesn't the above headline simply say something along the line of, "Covid-19 decimated small, independently owned businesses", or something similar? The article goes on to state that special monetary considerations should be given to these "black women-owned businesses". To me ... but I'm just an ignorant dufus .... that says "racism" (black) AND "sexism" (women) in one short headline. ALL small businesses are hurting ... why should it matter who owns them?

Ok, my rant is over ... I'm goin' camping!

DeputyDog
06-04-2021, 09:52 AM
The simple answer is when it comes from a liberal or suits the liberal agenda.

Biden did it again with his comments about black entrepreneurs and all the statements that minorities can’t get an ID to vote because they don’t understand how to use the Internet if there isn’t a DMV close to where they live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quercus alba
06-04-2021, 02:17 PM
It's a crying shame we've become scared to discuss this on here among ourselves. There was a time this would have been a rousing discussion with all of us ganging up on Posthole then he would throw a damper on our argument by inserting actual facts and it would gradually taper off into a discourse of Thumps somewhat varied sex life followed by Airbud posting a picture of some tits.

Instead of encouraging families to stay together, improve education, crack down hard on crime and offer incentives for excelling we just send them a check and overlook the little things like looting and burning down cities.

By current definition a racist is: a) Anybody white or B) Anyone who thinks all races should adhere to the same laws and same standards.

Does racism exist? Yes, always has and always will.
Can it be legislated away? No.
Do minorities have a more difficult time being successful? Well, not the Asian or the Mideastern minorities.
Do entitlement programs help? Nope, they're one of if not the biggest enemy of personal achievement and responsibility there is in my opinion.

unfortunately, we've let the genie out of the bottle and I don't see how we'll ever get him back in, certainly not in my lifetime

johnboy
06-04-2021, 02:56 PM
Yes, exactly what he said. Was thinking much the same after Thumps post about us dying on the vine. We used to feel comfortable talking about anything on this site but nowadays it seems imprudent to talk about anything remotely controversial (and that means anything that doesn't follow the establishment line). Big Brother IS watching. What a shame.

And racism is always racism, no matter what the colour or politics of the people involved. And it is ALWAYS wrong.

BarryBobPosthole
06-04-2021, 03:05 PM
Y’alls’ victimhood is heartbreaking. MYbe you need your own history month.

quercus alba
06-04-2021, 03:25 PM
I want reparation baby, I'm Irish and my people were persecuted and discriminated against too

DeputyDog
06-04-2021, 03:34 PM
Who’s claiming to be a victim? Ever think people were just tired of the hypocrisy?

Trump was accused of being a racist, xenophobic Nazi fascist even though before he was elected people like Oprah and Al Sharpton fawned all over him.

Biden makes statements like “poor kids can be just as successful as white kids” and “black entrepreneurs could succeed just like white entrepreneurs but they don’t have accountants and lawyers”. Who keeps bringing race into the picture?

I can’t get my head around why voter ID laws are considered racist. Do the people who say they are really believe that minorities aren’t capable of getting and ID? That sounds racist to me.

https://youtu.be/odB1wWPqSlE

DeputyDog
06-04-2021, 03:35 PM
I want reparation baby, I'm Irish and my people were persecuted and discriminated against too

Me too! My Great-great grandparents were both born in Ireland and emigrated during the famine.

Chicken Dinner
06-04-2021, 03:38 PM
Y’alls’ victimhood is heartbreaking. MYbe you need your own history month.

You sure it’s not their white privilege, Barry? [emoji48]

BarryBobPosthole
06-04-2021, 06:06 PM
:laughing:laughing shit disturber right dere…..

No I wouldn’t call it white privelege. But since they threw some fat pitches over the plate somebody ought to respond.

First off, Johnboy and I agree pretty much 100%. Wherever it is, it is terrible. and the most any of can do about it is to recognize it first in ourselves and deal with that before we go looking at others.

That said, Thumper I’m sitting here in disbelief. Maybe you didn’t read the article you posted the headline for, but 34% of covid deaths were black people. they represent 12% of the population. So yes, I’d say they were ‘overserved’ a big helping of covid. And it would stand to reason that it was overrepresented in busiiness failures too becuase of that very thing. they aren’t claiming racism against anyone. they’re asking for help trying to fix the issuethat caused them to be so affected. And yes, I’m for helping folks get bck into business.

QA ….Who said all white people are racist? Nobody, that’s who. So you’re using overbroad statements to complain that minorities use overly broad statements to describe your race, the Celts or whatever. Sorry, but that ain’t right.

I grew up in a town in the 60’s and 70’s that had a Sundown Rule. My school was integrated and they were all quite proud of how liberal and non-racist they were. Fact is, the black kids I played football with could play football on Friday night but their familiesand parents weren’t allowed in the stadium. They had to come pick their kids up in the football field parking lot. I don’t suppose by the definitions used here that is institutional racism but it sure was how my own peeers were brought up. They felt it and they’re sensitive about it. I would be too. That’s just one example. Military, business, it was all the same deal back in those days. It existed. We can’t just wish it away nor can we ignore the results of it any longer.

I don’t pretend to know what needs to be done, but I think we need to cool our jets and listen for a change.

BKB

BarryBobPosthole
06-04-2021, 09:47 PM
Look, I’m not here to defend every claim of racism nor am I here to claim anybody is one. I just find it interesting to listen to a bunch of white guys claim they are maligned by black people. C’mon man.

BKB

Thumper
06-05-2021, 08:24 AM
Dammit! I guess youse dufes are safe for now. I'm at the campground soaking up their free wi-fi with my laptop and was just winding down a long "Thump post". I got to the end, hit some frigging key (no clue what it was) and the whole post disappeared! Sucks big weenies for me ... lucky for you. I gots things to do here, so I ain't gonna do it again. :crybaby

BarryBobPosthole
06-05-2021, 09:08 AM
Puss.

quercus alba
06-05-2021, 09:14 AM
I posted this back in 2014 and it's even more true today than it was then

"As I've gotten older, I have come to realize that I can't change the world. I no longer even try. I don't feel the need to expound my opinion on every subject. I don't allow what people say on here bother me a whit and I won't be drawn into a hot disagreement. I'm convinced that I'm almost always right and those that disagree are wrong, so why get worked into a lather? I just think, What a dumb*** and go on about my bidness which happens to be breakfast at the moment. Eliminates a lot of stress that way."

works for me 8^)

Thumper
06-05-2021, 11:42 AM
Puss

Chicken Dinner
06-05-2021, 01:06 PM
TBH, after the last four years, I’m tired of arguing about most stuff. Even a good “arguscussion” amongst friends.

DeputyDog
06-05-2021, 02:37 PM
I understand that, but that leads me to a question.

How far do we go to avoid arguing/discussing?

If I insisted that the sky was green and had a platform to widely spread my beliefs and ended up convincing a large group of people that I was right, and then those people spread the belief and tried to rewrite or erase any historical mention of a blue sky. Furthermore, they tried to silence or brand anyone who said the sky was blue a “conspiracy theorist”.

Would you stay silent just to avoid any discussion/arguments?

BarryBobPosthole
06-05-2021, 02:53 PM
I’m willing to discuss it but I won’t beat around the bush about it. What you described above could be anything.

BKB

johnboy
06-05-2021, 04:26 PM
Sometimes you just gotta call bullshit when you hear bullshit and let the cards fall where they may. Right now we are up to our ears in bullshit.

quercus alba
06-05-2021, 04:38 PM
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=all+whites+are+racist

I think you meant everybody is saying it. I personally have heard on television minority leaders make the statement "white people by their very nature of being white are racist."

I was reading some articles yesterday that said:
a) Racism is a white problem not a black problem
b) If you have benefited in any way by being white then you're racist
c) All whites are racist because of their ignorance of the black culture
d) Even whites who try not to be racist are still racist

and the list goes on and on. I may not understand understand being black but I understand being villianized by the color of your skin, what religious belief you follow if any or what country you live in. Muslims hate Americans, Sooners hate the Longhorns and the Japanese view everyone who isn't japanese as cannon fodder. Burning cities and killing cops are not the solution. There may not be one

I wish I had all the answers

BarryBobPosthole
06-05-2021, 05:02 PM
I think if you look around you can find plenty of evidence that minorities are treated differently. Incarceration rates, sentencing data, medical outcomes, just to name a few. I also think many of those statistical outcomes that are blamed on race are often economic rather than racial. White trash got drafted in the 60’s and 70’s right along with the minorities.Interestingly, because of racism fewer blacks were drafted in WWII and more in the VN era. But poor folks go to jail when they’re arrested is my point. And poor covers a lot of racial territory.
So I’ll agree not every bad thing in this world is because of racism. But don’t blow smoke up my kilt and try to tell me racism doesn’t exist in places we’d rather not think about.

BKB

quercus alba
06-05-2021, 05:50 PM
But don’t blow smoke up my kilt

Better be care making statements like that with Kribbs around

BarryBobPosthole
06-05-2021, 06:04 PM
He’s nose deep in a user’s manual right now. Prolly the first one he’s ever read.
‘Poo dam’
BKB

DeputyDog
06-05-2021, 07:40 PM
You hit it on the head with the poor end up in jail more than any other group. Having been part of the system for over 30 years I can say that it isn’t racially biased but financially biased.

You cannot use incarceration rates alone to say that the system is “inherently racist”. Look at the data on who is perpetrating crime and who is the victim. A black offender is not more likely to end up incarcerated than a white offender. The incarceration rate is very similar when compared that way. It’s only skewed when based on percentage of population overall.

BarryBobPosthole
06-05-2021, 08:21 PM
The system that creates the poor is worse than the system that incarcerates them. And its not a simple matter of people being lazy even though that is a popular refrain.

BKB