PDA

View Full Version : Micromeasurements (and Caution: Bad Words)

BarryBobPosthole
06-08-2021, 10:28 AM
When I was a kid and worked with my grandpa a lot, his term for just a little bit was a ‘tad’. “Take a tad more out of that board” he’d say. “Cut out the line”

My ag teacher would say ‘skosh’ for a small measurement. “Turn the amperage on that welder up a skosh”. That didn’t mean a lot. It meant a little. You KNEW what it meant.

When I got older and more sophisticated, the ubiquitious ‘Hair’ measurement system kicked in. There was a hair, a cunt hair, and for the finest a red cunt hair. If you think that’s a nasty term, try slipping a manual tranny jackshaft back into the engine when the clutch plate has moved a red cunt hair. It can’t be done.

The modern term I guess is ‘nanofuckit’. That’s how long it takes superglue to cement your thumb and forefinger together if you were wondering. Mainly a measurement of time but is also universal.

Others?

BKB

Thumper
06-08-2021, 10:55 AM
Man, you pretty much covered it for me. I could almost cut & paste your post to duplicate my experience growing up.

Not exactly a measurement, but kinda-sorta, my grandfather would tell me to run “out yonder” and “move that sprinkler just a skosh to the left.”

BarryBobPosthole
06-08-2021, 11:13 AM
I grew up hearing ‘yonder’ and ‘I reckon’ all the time. On my Mom’s side, my uncles and aunts all pronounced it ‘yunder’. I have no idea where that comes from.

BKB

johnboy
06-08-2021, 03:43 PM
It was always blonde not red for that extra fine measurement.

Thumper
06-08-2021, 04:18 PM
Actually, that’s how it was with me Johnboy, but I figured since P-hole is the redheaded stepchild around here, I’d roll with the red. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
06-08-2021, 05:24 PM
Actually, the real answer is you are both wrong. If I could remember how to post a poll I’d show you. RCH is the universal measurement for ‘finest’. Cause there ain’t nothing finer. BCH must be the metric system.

BKB

jb
06-09-2021, 09:06 AM
Similar, but ours was "Royal C.H."

BarryBobPosthole
06-09-2021, 09:11 AM
Like the Imperial Gallon I suppose.

I never knew there were all of these different kinds!

BKB

Chicken Dinner
06-09-2021, 09:18 AM
Put me in the RCH camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
06-09-2021, 09:29 AM
Put me in the RCH camp.

Royal Cunt Hair? ;)

Thumper
06-09-2021, 09:49 AM
I stayed awake half the night deliberating over this and I had to reach WAY back into the old memory banks. I've been between the sheets with quite a few blonds (blondes?) in my earlier days (including my son's baby mama) but very few redheads. That said, one particular redhead stands out and based on memory, I'd have to agree, the RCH would be the finest measurement. :thumbsup

That said, I'll submit another one I grew up with .... I just missed it by a "whisker".

BarryBobPosthole
06-09-2021, 09:59 AM
Many times my Momma told me I was only getting by by the skin of my teeth.

BKb

Thumper
06-09-2021, 10:06 AM
Many times my Momma told me I was only getting by by the skin of my teeth. BKb

Yeppers ... that was a common one with me also. I guess I never really thought about it before ... I grew up with all sorts of unofficial measurements. I'm just wondering if most of these are a regional thing (Southern, Northern, etc) or pretty much universal?

My mom would say to add a "pinch" of salt.

When I was a kid hanging with my grandparents in the N. Carolina mountains, their neighbor once told me about a great fishing hole on the river. When I asked him if I could walk there, he told me "it's a pretty fur piece"!

When I first introduced my Thai wife to my grandmother (my mom's mom), she took one look at her and said, "Why Jimmy, she's about half as big as a minute!" (she was 4'-10" tall and weighed 95 lbs)

HideHunter
06-10-2021, 10:29 AM
red in Iowa.. then there's the classic if you ever worked construction.. reading a tape measure.. "42 and 1/2 an two little ones." I'd do it occasionally - just "cause". ;)

Thumper
06-10-2021, 11:29 AM
I never was quite sure how far a "country mile" is, but I've heard it ever since I was "knee-high to a grasshopper".

jb
06-10-2021, 01:34 PM
I've used or heard of a" just a TAD more", about a "Schoch" more, and just a "Smigon" more