PDA

View Full Version : Ya ever?

Arty
06-15-2021, 07:57 PM
After 20 years of a can of Grizzly long cut a day I went cold turkey (no nicotine gum or tabs or “non nictotine chew”.

Just been buying a shit load of wrigleys gum.

This has without a doubt been the hardest 3 weeks of my life.

But I’m nicotine free, which makes me feel sorta like a badass.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210615/022ef90ce3e8d4031dfaa9fd5775827a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arty
06-15-2021, 07:58 PM
FWIW,
A can of dip (ESPECIALLY when you don’t normally spit it), has the same nicotine as 4-5 packs of cigarettes.

Thumper
06-15-2021, 09:22 PM
Congratulations! Seriously. I’ve never tried ANY tobacco products, including cigarettes, and TBH, always thought dipping or chewing has to be one of the nastiest habits on earth. I remember Cappy was always talking about wanting to quit the habit, but I don’t know if he ever did.

Congrats again, I hope you get all the way through it without falling off the wagon! I’m pulling for you!

quercus alba
06-15-2021, 09:35 PM
I dipped from the time I was 15 until I was 52 and quit cold turkey. I had developed a case of bronchitis and every time I got a dip I threw up in the trash can. I figured somebody was trying to tell me something so it was easy for me to quit. I went from 235 to 285 in a little over a year, I replaced the tobacco with Coke and honeybuns. I'm at about 245 now and can't seem to get any lower. 100 units of insulin a day sees to that

Thumper
06-15-2021, 10:34 PM
After my dozen back surgeries, I could get very little exercise and ballooned up from 235 to 300. When I crossed the line from borderline diabetes to type 2 (just barely) I managed to drop 10-lbs, but it’s like I hit a brick wall at 290. The doc has me on Metformin and dropped my A1C back down to the “prediabetic” area. My problem is, I’ve had to drop all my previous hobbies that were halfway physical and eating is about the only hobby I have left. I actually got down to 287 last week, but as of today, I’m back to 290. Luckily, I’m 6’2” tall, so I don’t look like a basketball with arms and legs!

Arty
06-16-2021, 05:00 AM
Ive actually lost 10 pounds during the last 3 weeks!

BarryBobPosthole
06-16-2021, 09:00 AM
Jamie,that is one hell of an accomplishment. I know how many times I tried and failed to quit the coffin nails before I finally did (14 years ago May 13). Proud of ya!

QA, I’m gonna tell you what has and is working for me. I have fought this diabetus like Wilford Brimley and have finally seen some success. It pisses me off to no end that effing every doctor you talk to says ‘you can control this with diet and exercize’. Well, no you fucking can’t. Period. Its a practice in frustration. I’ve exercized, walked, dieted, lifted weights, you name it,it has never worked.
So, a couple of years ago I took a new approach. I started trying to address my insulin resistance instead of trying to control my blood sugars so much. My A1C was 8.2 and I was using 70 units of long acting and about 70 units of short acting insulin/day. A lot of insulin for lousy results. My weight was about 248. So I started seriously walking daily. I’ve done two miles a day, about 5-6 days a week, for the past two years. Its not a lot and its not cardio but it does what it needs to do. The walking alone brought my A1C down to the low 7’s but it wouldn’t budge. So in December I started intermittent fasting. A fancy way for saying eat all of your calories between noon and 8 PM every single day. It doesn’t matter so much how many calories you eat, just don’t deviate outside of those hours. What happens is when you get up in the morning, test your sugar and treat it and then don’t have any calorie intake, and morning is when I do exercize as well, your blood sugars are low to normal and your body uses the glucose molecules stored in the fat cells in your body for energy instead of the ones floating freely in your blood. So you actually get max benefit from your exercize. I started in December and in Feb my A1C was already 6.3. I can tell you right now it is in the 5’s. The weight doesn’t melt off but I’ve gone from 248 in Dec to 235 this morning. However this works, it ‘resets’ your body’s insulin-glucose process and your insulin resistance decreases dramtically after two or three months. Here’s the final kicker. I’ve dropped my daily short acting insulin usage by 2/3s to ~20 units/day. I’ve cut my long acting insulin by 1/2 to 30 units/day. It works. Read up on it. Its been life dhanging for me as far as diabetes control and I know how fricking frustrating that can be.

BKB

quercus alba
06-16-2021, 09:25 AM
I've got double whammyed Posty. First off my fat is subcutaneous or beneath the muscle which is bad juju for weight loss. Secondly, I'm one of the 2% of the population that low carb diets don't work for so obviously my body processes carbs differently than the majority of the people. Throw in bad knees ankles and a streak of laziness a mile wide and I can find plenty of reasons not to exercise. I am intrigued with what you suggested and I'm going to look into it.........................Thanks

Another thing is I build up a resistance to practically every medication after a few months so I'm constantly having to rotate brands and types of meds, even OTC allergy meds. Lantus will work fine for a few months then my doses get bigger and bigger so my doc will change to something else which will work for a few months then it's the same song second verse all over again.

My doc says I'm a medical mystery, my son says when I die and they autopsy me they'll find out I'm really an alien

BarryBobPosthole
06-16-2021, 09:42 AM
I always suspected you were one of the lizard people Q talks about.

I noticed the same thing over the years with insulin resistance. You know what works best for me? Walmart branded ‘Reli-On’, actually Novolog. And I get it for $25/vial for the short and $35 for five pens of the long.

BKB

Thumper
06-16-2021, 09:49 AM
I'm totally screwed in the exercise department also. I have to really pace myself (at a SLOW pace) or my back will give out before my day gives out. If I do too much, too fast, I end up flat on my back in bed by mid-day. If I keep a slow, steady pace throughout the day, I can get by. Sitting on my ass in front of my computer screwing around with eBay is a "normal" day. Most of my exercise comes from going up and down the stairs a couple bazillion times/day. My big exercise goal is to never use the upstairs bathroom (since my office is upstairs) and use the downstairs bathroom whenever needed. Considering the fact my doc has me on diuretics, I make quite a few trips up and down the stairs on a daily basis. Unfortunately, a few of those trips are to the fridge. :(

Some days I can walk, some I can't. At first, I thought my hips were going out and thought I might be looking at a hip replacement in the future, but I THINK it may be arthritis since it is intermittent. The problem is, I tried walking, but many times I'd get half way around the block and would end up sitting on the curb after calling Lynn to come pick me up and bring me home. Some days I can park at Wally World and can barely make it from my car to the entrance, but other days I have no problem. Due to the intermittent nature of the pain, I've self-diagnosed arthritis. (I'd assume if my hips are bad, it would not be intermittent ... does that make sense to any of you knowabouters out there?)

Anyway, eating like a fool, knocking on the door of obesity (or I suppose, I'm there depending on who you talk to) and getting next to zero exercise is a BAD combination. Thank God for modern chemistry or I'd be totally fubar.

quercus alba
06-16-2021, 09:49 AM
I always suspected you were one of the lizard people Q talks about.BKB

Now that you mention it I am built kinda like a Gila monster and sluggish on cold days

I didn't know that Novolog came in pens, I keep some in a vial around for emergency carb overdose

HideHunter
06-16-2021, 09:54 AM
I started dipping when I was about 20.. switched to leaf within a few years.. First I'll say - the way *most* do it it.. it *is* a nasty habit. Many, many people never knew I chewed unless they saw me "loading up".. Anyway. partially because I knew it was bad for me - and partially because I just got pissed off for what they were charging (when I started Key was 19 cents a can).. I quit cold turkey on my 60th birthday. .. and I'm going to tell you, I missed it everyday.. especially when hunting or fishing. Finally a couple years ago I said, "I quit chewing on my 60th birthday - I'm starting again on my 70th." The day rolled around and I had every intention of driving to town and buying a bag of Red Man.. But, somehow.. deciding I would - took the "fun" out of it.. Not saying I won't - but 3 months later _ I haven't. ;)

quercus alba
06-16-2021, 10:00 AM
sounds like you probably never had a pin worm problem either

BarryBobPosthole
06-16-2021, 10:13 AM
Red Man was always my favorite chew. Peachy was a close second. I chewed and dipped on my deer stand for many years instead of smoking. I guess I never figured wintergreen spit had much human odor to a deer. lol.

BKB

Thumper
06-16-2021, 10:45 AM
Bunch'a dang rednecks around this joint! Who'da thunk it? ;)

BarryBobPosthole
06-16-2021, 12:24 PM
I just finished mowing, trimming, and blowing and I just lost a few pounds I think judgingfrom the sweat. I’ll loan out my yard for free. Guaranteed two pounds per week weight loss! Freeof charge!

BKB

Hombre
06-16-2021, 05:16 PM
I quit dipping when I was 17. My first and last dip was at a high school football game. I'd just put in my Copenhagen and felt pretty darn cool. I was watching the game, talking to a few buddies up along the fence. That's about the time I heard my dad's voice behind us. Before turning around I took my tongue dug it out and swallowed it. Even the next 2 or 3 minutes talking to my dad was horrible. I've never sweat and puked so much. Thus the end of my bad habit.

Chicken Dinner
06-16-2021, 05:33 PM
I’ve never dipped. Chewed a little and smoked a bit up through my early 20’s. A bout of pneumonia cured me of that early though. Laying in bed and not being able to catch yiur breath will teach you that lung cancer is no way to go. My oldest boy is on about week 3 of quitting the vape and that shit has addicted another generation. Fuckers.

Trav
06-16-2021, 08:41 PM
I will still have the occasional chaw of Levi Garrett when I am fishing but I started dipping/chewing daily in the 6th grade and quit my freshman year.