PDA

View Full Version : Well, that's kind'a cool!

Thumper
06-17-2021, 07:14 AM
We went on our first "shake-down" cruise in the motorhome a couple weeks ago, returned home and it's been in sitting in the driveway since we got back. As we exited the coach, I flipped off the main cabin electrical switch. I'm still learning how this beast works and I "thought" that switch shut off ALL house power. Well, yesterday, I went inside to get something and when I walked past the (residential-sized) refrigerator/freezer, I noticed it was still running and cold. I also found a light on in the rear bathroom. ARRRGGGHHH! I figured the house batteries HAD to be pretty dead by now and checked the readout panel. Everything is fully charged! Although I have three options for power, "shore power" when I'm plugged in (like at a powered campsite) as well as a diesel generator, neither of those options are being used. I have a couple of solar panels on the roof, but it's been overcast and has rained for the past 4-5 days (with intermittent sun a few times during the day). Evidently, even with the dreary days, the solar has managed to run the light left on accidently, the large refrigerator/freezer (with our outside temps running in the 90's) as well as keeping the house batteries fully charged! I hadn't planned on testing the solar system, but I guess it passed with flying colors anyway! :thumbsup

johnboy
06-17-2021, 01:05 PM
Fridge is running on propane, I would think. Batteries and solar panels won't keep a fridge cold for very long. BIG draw on batts to run fridge. That's why most are only two way (propane and shore power) and not three way (batts, propane etc.). Had an old camper with a three way fridge and it would destroy a batt in no time as I found out the hard way.

Thumper
06-17-2021, 04:32 PM
Well, dang Johnboy, you may be right and that would make more sense. I’ve been out all day and just got home. I “thought” I’d turned off the propane before leaving the campground, but I’ll have to go out and double check. That sucks …. if that’s what happened, I may not want to see what my propane level is now. I’ll get the hang of this one of these days. :(

johnboy
06-18-2021, 02:21 PM
So, did you figure it out?

Thumper
06-18-2021, 05:13 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head Johnboy. When I switch the main cabin power off, the fridge automatically switches over to propane. I have to manually turn the fridge off if I don't want it to run. To add insult to injury, I THOUGHT I had the propane turned off (which would have accomplished the same thing), but evidently, on this unit, the valve is opposite of any others I've dealt with. Normally, I screw the handle in (clockwise) to turn the propane off, but on this particular valve, you turn it counter-clockwise (which feels like I'm actually OPENING the valve). Most I've experienced before, had an arrow on the knob marking the direction to open or close the valve. This unit has nothing indicating open/closed. Live and learn ... my "full" tank of propane is now showing just over 3/4 full. :crybaby

johnboy
06-18-2021, 06:19 PM
Well there you go. Learn something every day. That propane valve must be the European version cause you have a Mercedes symbol on the front grill. :biggrin

BarryBobPosthole
06-18-2021, 06:38 PM
Aren’t most propane tank valves left handed?

BKB

johnboy
06-18-2021, 06:53 PM
Righty tighty (close), lefty loosey (open). Just checked mine to make sure. Had me wondering there.

BarryBobPosthole
06-18-2021, 07:07 PM
That’ right, its the connections to lp tanks that are left handed not the valves.

BKB

airbud7
06-19-2021, 06:48 AM
Not sure how big your propane tank is Thump but that sounds good to me "couple weeks" running a big fridge.

Thumper
06-19-2021, 08:34 AM
It’s not very big actually, 12.2 gal/52 lbs.

airbud7
06-19-2021, 09:02 AM
well that's even better then!...imagine you're stranded in a desert somewhere, cold refrigerator/freezer for two+ months might come in handy! ...:D

Thumper
06-20-2021, 11:10 AM
Well, what'da ya' know? As a kid growing up, I remember my dad had a little sign stuck on our refrigerator door that read: "When all else fails, read the instructions!"

I just decided to dig out the info on the refrigerator/freezer in the motorhome and found it does NOT run off of propane! It's 12 volt only. So, I was correct from the beginning, I guess it was running off of solar the whole time it was sitting in the driveway. It runs off of shore power (through the inverter), but I was not plugged in. It also runs off the generator, but of course, I did not have the genset running. That leaves the house batteries which are charged by the chassis engine running (which it was not), or the generator (which, as stated, was not running). When I discovered the fridge was still running, the only thing that could have been powering it were the house batteries which were showing as fully charged. The only thing that could have been charging the house batteries would have been my solar panels. That's pretty impressive considering I had the fridge set on full (day) power (there's also a power-saving night mode which was NOT on) and both the fridge and freezer were set on their coldest settings. That's pretty impressive IMO, especially since there was also a light accidently left on in the bathroom. I still find it hard to believe this thing sat in the driveway for 12 days before I discovered I'd left the fridge on. Plus, I just have the standard lead-acid house batteries, no high-priced Lithium.

https://www.camperid.com/norcold/polar-10-cu-ft-gray-2-doors-rv-refrigerator-mpn-n10dcssr.html

Specifications:
Capacity: 10 cu ft
Color: Gray
Depth: 24"
Height: 59.8"
Power Source: DC
Voltage: 12 V
Width: 23.5"
Door Color: Stainless Steel
Door Quantity: 2 Doors

johnboy
06-20-2021, 11:51 AM
I am amazed. I had no idea that a full size fridge could operate on battery power for any length of time. Guess tech really has improved since I had a three way fridge. You actually DO learn something every day.

airbud7
06-20-2021, 12:19 PM
I love a story that gets better and better!...Good deal Thump!

How big are the solar panels?

Thumper
06-20-2021, 01:04 PM
Well, that’s what surprises me. It comes standard with two, 100 watt panels (wired to upgrade to 600 watts plus a hook-up for an additional portable panel on the ground). I really have no plans to upgrade as I'd most likely use the generator for any boondocking I'd do. But I'm new to all of this, so things may change down the line. I just didn't expect the basic solar set-up I have would maintain the batteries with that sort of draw.

Johnboy, I understand this is a residential style fridge with a compressor, as opposed to the absorption type (I had one of those in my semi) found in most rv's. They're not ideal for boondocking, so that's what surprised me about how long this one kept going on solar only (evidently). As I said, my house batteries still show as fully charged. Like you, I guess technology has passed me by lately. Funny note: My uncle had a large class-A Winnebago years ago and camped in a primitive site for about a week. He had levelers, but was on the side of a mountain with quite a slope and didn't have enough adjustment to get the thing level, but he could live with it the way it was. He had the 3-way (absorption) fridge and it quit cooling. He's a tinkerer and took it apart to see if he could "fix" it. (He wasn't aware those type fridges won't work if they're not level) Of course, he found nothing wrong and put it all back together, but it never worked again after that! I guess his "do it yourselfer skills" bit him in the butt! ;)