PDA

View Full Version : A parking lot reunion!

Thumper
07-07-2021, 02:46 PM
A month or so ago, I had just parked at Wally World and noticed the car in front of me had a front license plate with an image of our old military unit's patch on it. We jokingly called ourselves "Lightning Fast Chicken Fuckers". The driver was just returning to his car and I asked about his LFCF plate.

Well, after chatting a bit, we discovered we actually worked some of the same missions, at the same time, but had a different base of operations. We also laughed about how the recruiters back in the day used to hook us in by informing us our unit does not get sent to Vietnam! That was a bit of a stretch, but since our units worked under cover names, they weren't "technically" lying. It was always a joke within the agency. Well, we had like a mini-reunion in the Wally World parking lot and I eventually asked him where he got his plate. He told me he had simply bought it on-line. I thought I might get a plate myself in case it's spotted by someone else that may have been in our unit (it's a small world sometimes). While searching the net for our old unit patch, I came across this one. It reminded me of how difficult it was to get on the VA's Agent Orange Registry because I had a problem documenting exposure ... since not all of our missions or locations were documented. I could not prove I was there, but they could not prove I was NOT. It was a battle for a while until I was finally able to locate some documentation that confirmed exposure. Well, while searching for a "lightning fast chicken fucker" plate, I ran across this patch (also available as a decal) with our unit patches incorporated within and it reminded me of the battle I had with the VA proving my duty locations. I don't think I'll get one, but it does explain the A/O situation and why I had a problem proving where I was exposed! I mean, I was there .... but not really .... but I really was! :crazy

Bwana
07-08-2021, 11:45 AM
Cool beans.

I'm thinking the decal on the back of you new camper might be good for a future conversation or two when you are out and about.

Arty
07-08-2021, 07:37 PM
That’s pretty cool.
Your plate definitely needs to include a Thai girl with an Adam’s apple though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
07-08-2021, 09:16 PM
And you sir, can bite me! ;)

Yep, Thailand was my home base and other than a few "incidents" from time to time, it was a pretty cushy assignment (CD can verify that!). It was those occasional (undocumented) short-term TDY assignments where things got interesting. :hair

I wouldn't trade the experience for anything in the world and it's always great to run across another vet from our unit as, comparatively speaking, there aren't that many of us ... especially with the same MOS.

Thumper
07-16-2021, 11:29 AM
Ha! What a coinky-dink! I just found out an old buddy of mine is on temporary duty in N. Florida. He manages power plants and is up there to run the power plant at Chattahoochee for a few months. He keeps saying he's gonna retire "someday", but just seems to keep on going. Anyway, we've been talking and I've decided to run up in the motor home and spend a few days up there for a mini-reunion. We go way back and spent a couple years playing spy together.

Anyway, it should be a fun mini-reunion and I'm sure we'll have fun rehashing old times over a few beers. :thumbsup

We've stayed in touch, but haven't seen each other in about 47 years or so. Ha! He says he's bald as a cue ball now and I told him he's lucky, as I'm bald also .... AND fat.

Here's a pic of him in 'Nam. Although we were Intel, notice the (173rd) Airborne patch. As stated above, we weren't allowed to wear our Lightning Fast Chicken Fucker patches due to the bounties on our heads, but adopted the patch of whichever unit we were attached to at the time.

Then ....

And now .... Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

quercus alba
07-16-2021, 12:17 PM
I ain't got no old buddies, new ones neither as far as that goes.

I don't understand it

BarryBobPosthole
07-16-2021, 12:28 PM
Hell, I got friends I ain’t even used yet.

BKB

quercus alba
07-16-2021, 01:28 PM
People don’t like me much, including my wife and kids, strangers and people I’ve never even met

Dogs like me tho

BarryBobPosthole
07-16-2021, 01:33 PM
Dogs like me tho

Pretty much all the testimony I need right there, brother.
BKB

johnboy
07-16-2021, 01:58 PM
I've always been leery of someone who the dogs don't care for. They have a better sense for people.

Thumper
07-16-2021, 02:32 PM
Especially Police K-9’s! ;)

johnboy
07-16-2021, 02:56 PM
Police K9 was stabbed and killed in our little town the other day. Also stabbed officer who shot and killed attacker. Sad in all ways.