PDA

View Full Version : Who Has Gone A-Eeling?

BarryBobPosthole
07-08-2021, 08:15 PM
Our buddy the former Cliff Claven just recommended a book about British eeling called ‘Chronicles of an Eel Angler’. I’m sure I’ve fished waters where eels live but have never caught one or seen one. I always though of them as a river fish. I have seen a ling cod and it creeped me out a bit. Not the same though.

I’m sure Hidehunter loves them with fava beans and a nice chianti. Who’s fished for them?

BKB

Thumper
07-08-2021, 08:51 PM
I was fishing for catfish one night as a kid and caught a (large) lamprey, if that counts. It kind's creeped me out also, especially the mouth. Never intentionally fished for eels though.

quercus alba
07-08-2021, 09:04 PM
I'd eat some provided I didn't have to catch, handle or look at it until it came out of the grease.

I've caught and or seen several Lamprey eels but usually out of muddy stagnant water

nasty looking critters

quercus alba
07-08-2021, 09:08 PM
I'd avoid the shrieking eels tho. They get louder as they're about to feed on human flesh

BarryBobPosthole
07-08-2021, 10:51 PM
Actually, the real thing isn’t that far from the actual. 12649 I believe I took this this guy’s picture in St Lucia. But I never thought of morays as creepy, I always thought they were cool. Never handled one though.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
07-09-2021, 12:23 PM
I’ve caught a few on the tidal River I grew up fishing. But, have never targeted them. I’m always good for a couple of pieces of Unagi when I hit a sushi place though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnboy
07-09-2021, 05:39 PM
Caught them a few times when fishing for channel cats. My old man used to love eating the slimy buggers but they never appealed to me. Pretty good eats, said he.

Arty
07-13-2021, 08:42 PM
We caught a few one night near Tampa bay. We were catfishing actually and i guess a school came through cause me and my dad and my brother all caught one within 20 minutes of each other
They were shiny silver, about 3 feet long, and had teeth.
We cut the lines and let them slither their way back into the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk