PDA

View Full Version : Thinking About Oour Little Brother Today

BarryBobPosthole
07-31-2021, 09:15 AM
It was about 9:00 AM I think that we all got a group text from Cheryl telling us that Larke had died. Right out of the blue.
He’d been sick and complaining about not being able to get a breath but with his COPD I just figured it was acting up.

I’ve never met another human like Larke. He hunted harder and fished harder and did just about everything to the max more than anybody I know. If you’ve been to his house you’ve seen his obsessions. Buildings full of stuff he’d collected.
And in all that, he valued his friends more than anybody. I’m bad about not liking to talk on the phone much. He’d leave me voice mails all the time, ‘Hey Posty, just checkin’ in no need to call back, just one my way down to Nosenuckle, NC”

I sure do miss him as I’m sure we all do. They broke the mold when they made that ‘un!

And yep, it’s been a whole year.
BKB

jb
07-31-2021, 10:30 AM
Amen, one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.
I got a call from Kribb's, before I saw the email, it was hard to believe, still is.
He had friends on all levels of importance and would call on them if you need something.
He arrange Kay and I to meet back stage with RT when he gave a concert here, along with free tickets
When #3 was laid off from the State Police, he arranged for him to come to SC for an interview with their DNR and went away with a promise that there would be a position for him.
One of the best hunting trips I've taken was when we went to Montana to meet and hunt with Bigsky, even thought I had not drawn a deer permit, I chose to go along just for the enjoyment of his company.
I think of him and his parents often.

Thumper
07-31-2021, 11:44 AM
I can’t even come close to describing how much I miss that munchkin. In fact, I’m camped right now on a lake that Tony and I took Larke gator hunting on a couple of times. He ALWAYS stayed in touch and we’d usually talk at least a few times a week. He’d been complaining for weeks about his total lack of energy (NOT common for him) and it just highlights the fact that anyone here who feels anything just isn’t quite right, no matter how minor it may seem, don’t put off looking into it. The day he passed away, he had a doctor’s appointment to get checked out. He never made it.

We spent some fun nights on this lake chasing gators. Most were bigger than him, but that ain’t sayin’ much! [emoji6] (sorry for the humor, nothing disrespectful and he’d have it no other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quercus alba
07-31-2021, 11:51 AM
I'll go to my grave regretting that I never made that South Carolina trip to meet him. An extraordinary gentleman

johnboy
07-31-2021, 01:17 PM
Never met him and really wish that I had. Strange how you can feel such a sense of loss for a person you never actually met.

Chicken Dinner
07-31-2021, 03:04 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210731/8ad3b68db9e351e8bb4f570de9a93a45.jpg
My favorite pic from the last time we fished together. I swear we’d caught every bass in that pond twice already that day. But, we still had to drag him out of there so we could get back to sipping brown liquor and telling stories.

quercus alba
07-31-2021, 07:52 PM
yeah, he crammed about 90 years of living into 60 years

BarryBobPosthole
07-31-2021, 08:16 PM
Jim, that is a nice spot! I’m glad you’re getting out in the air.

The very first time I met Larke I drove down to Stallings on his birthday after a business trip in Cary, NC.and spent a few days deer hunting, fishing, doing farm chores, and eating boiled peanuts. And drinking moonshine whisley. This was so long ago that he and you guys all had Sprint cell phones with the walkie talkie feature. He jabbered with Gator constantly on that thiing. They treated it like it was a cb radio. Your comment about him staying in touch made me think of that.

HideHunter
08-02-2021, 11:22 AM
We were swapping some stuff back and forth through the mail.. Kind of as a joke, one of his packages included a squirrel mount.. one of those black ones with the white nose.. Obviously old and broke in a few places.. We laughed and he said, "I thought you needed this more than I did." ;) I threw it up on a shelf over my work bench in the basement.. A couple months ago I got it down, glued things back together, cleaned it up and put it my office.. I never got to meet him face to face - but, I think of him everyday.

Thumper
08-02-2021, 11:29 AM
Larke was probably the most giving person I’ve ever met. I honestly don’t think he had a bad bone in his body.

BarryBobPosthole
08-02-2021, 03:01 PM
I chuckle every time I think of him telling about the piece he carried in the back of his pants. He said when you’re his size as acop you always had to have a ‘get off me’ gun. He was also the best shot I’ve ever seen in person.

BKB

Thumper
08-02-2021, 03:04 PM
I like the one where he was going up to Canada (I believe on a fishing trip with a buddy) and when they got to the border, he remembered he had his carry weapon on him. He had to sneak out in the woods on the American side and he buried it. Then when they returned, he had to go into the woods and find it again to dig it up! :)

Bwana
08-03-2021, 11:26 AM
I too miss that gent.

Was lucky enough to have he and jb spend a couple of nights at our house prior to him shooting that big muley buck with Big Sky in Montana. Still have a couple of copperhead skins he gave me but have yet to find a hat worthy of putting them to work.

He was definitely good people!

BarryBobPosthole
08-03-2021, 11:30 AM
I have a copperhead skin that he gave me too, Bwana. I’m just glad we don’t grow those things that big here.

Did you know about the big rattler he found half dead? Some loggers were doing work either on one of his parcels or on a neighbor’s in the winter and I guess they drug this big boy out of his nest. Larke found him finished him off and took him home and skinned him. Somewhere in that process, I image from being hit with a drag line or something, the snake got venom all over him, unbeknownst to Captain. He got really sick for about a week and didn’t know what it was. He had an appointment with his doc but it he didn’t know what it was. Turns out that big buzzworm got him sick. It almost got him too. He was sick as a dog. and complaining loudly I might add!

BKB

Bwana
08-04-2021, 10:05 AM
Oh my, never heard that one Posthole. Something to keep in mind for sure.

quercus alba
08-04-2021, 10:46 AM
And he still handled them after that. Cap’n claimed to be Presbyterian but he must of had a little Pentecostal blood in him

Thumper
08-04-2021, 11:41 AM
Cap’n claimed to be Presbyterian ....

I never knew that. My grandfather was a Presbyterian minister and he baptized me in the Presbyterian church.

But I eventually turned out to be nothing more than a low-life heathen. ;)

quercus alba
08-19-2021, 02:44 PM
I know that Larke's death is still a sore spot but I was just wondering how Cheryl and Hammerhead are making out.

LJ3
08-24-2021, 02:26 PM
I know that Larke's death is still a sore spot but I was just wondering how Cheryl and Hammerhead are making out.

They're doing ok. One of us checks in the Cheryl ever once in a while. I think we'll be inviting hammer to the next "eat and talk" as Larke called them... at Hanks cabin. He wanted to fish and hunt 24x7 while we were all busy getting our drink on and eating and bumping our gums.

Big Skyz
08-24-2021, 03:04 PM
Words fail me in regards to how hard it hit me when Jim told me Larke had passed away.

Chicken Dinner
08-24-2021, 07:30 PM
That was the “meet and eat”, Ticboy…

Thumper
08-25-2021, 06:30 AM
I get a huge lump in my throat every time this subject comes up. He was a special friend and is sorely missed.