PDA

View Full Version : Shittin’ In Our Nest Part 1

BarryBobPosthole
08-08-2021, 01:18 PM
I’ve always been of the opinion that the people who care the most about our natural resources are hunters and fishermen. I still think that. And as time goes flowing on by, it seems like we’re ruining stuff faster than those who care about it can do anything to protect it.

Birddog and I went fishing Thursday over at a beautiful little lake in far Eastern Oklahoma called Eucha. It’s a water supply lake for Tulsa and has many springs and creeks in its Ozark watershed. The last time we fished it was probably six or seven years ago, again in August when we damn near got struck by a lightnong bolt that came clear out of the blue. Actually grey but it was a surprise. The nickel sized hail that covered the front deck abotu an inch deep wasn’t any fun either especially as we weere hightailing it back to the ramp. On that trip the lake was clear and dark. We had to back off from the banks to be stealthy. This trip it was split pea soup green, full of weeds and didymo and it just broke my heart to see it. Much of the watershed for this lake is in western Ark and eastern Oklahoma and is prime chicken house country. The Oklahoma atty general sued and had them all at the table to hammer out an agreement on pollution control and monitoring. Then Scott Pruitt was named Atty General by a new governor and he dropped the entire project. I don’t want to make it political but that asshole set us back fifty years in conservation in Oklahoma.

In May of 2019 when we had big time flooding, some barges got loose on the Arkansas River and dumped 30,000 tons of Diammonium Phosphate in the river down at the lock by Webbers Falls, Ok. Not one single word about cleanup, accountability, penalties for letting barges loose, whatever. I’ve written our state DEQ and recieved the following response, “Due to the flow of the river at the time of the accident is is highly unlikely that any of the pollutants remained in state waters for very long.” LOL. That big dead spot down there in the gulf just got bigger. FYI, phosphorous has a half ife in soil of about 1000 years. It just doesn’t get better over time. Think about that next time you put 102010 on your lawn or garden.

I started diving in 2003 (thanks to Trav!) and have dived every year since except for last year. Most year twice. I don’t know how to describe to you the difference in what I saw diving in 2003 to what I see now. The ocean is quite literally the engine that drives the whole shooting match on earth. Its not to big that we can’t fuck it up. Because we are.

The dilemna is how do we fix it? I always hear the argument that we can’t do it all by ourselves. No we can’t, but why should that keep us from leading? My personal belief is that we can’t fix it as long as we expect fresh strawberries in January. That’s just a silly example of how fucked up and upside down our food system is. That we even HAVE a food system might be a part of the problem. After all, its feeding this ever growing population that has caused us to have to have a supply chain like this to begin with. And its the world’s biggest polluter. Not just ours, everyones’. People want to blame factory farms but all factory farms do is fulfill a need. We want cheap food available 24X7 and we hope its nutritious. So we have #2 corn as our number one foodstuff and we can’t even fucking eat it.

So this is already a Thump post, but I was hoping to start a discussion on what’s a sane way to proceed. my thoughts boil down to:

1. Potable water is going to be the #1 commodity in the 22nd century.
2. We have too many dad gum people. Just look at the American West. They can either build more houses or feed the 35% of Americans that they feed. they don’t have the water to do both. Who do they screw? ITs caused by overdevelopment which is caused by too many people.
3. Given how scarce natural resources are, we might want to be more prudent about how we marshall ours in America. Nobody ever mentions saving for the future any more at all. Maybe we should be savers more and consumers less.

BKB

ps….I had a frozen ice cream cone this week, and it had a plastic cup over the top I suppose to keep the nuts from falling off. A plastic cup. WTFO? Stupid shit.

quercus alba
08-08-2021, 01:25 PM

Chicken Dinner
08-08-2021, 05:13 PM
I can’t disagree with any of that. I read an article today that the main ocean current that drives the gulf stream is rapidly deteriorating. We’re fucked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
08-08-2021, 06:03 PM
It's Bush's fault.

BarryBobPosthole
08-08-2021, 06:46 PM
It's Bush's fault.

No that was Haiti.

BKB

Penguin
08-09-2021, 08:16 AM
We've done a lot of damage. I don't think anyone could deny that.

I had to laugh at your postscript. Plastic containers.... my god. My family has heard me go on about that one many times. I mean we solved the problem of making durable and ecologically sound containers what, a few thousand years ago? Me going off about that one is like Toll Road and his ear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmUuV_VOmhc

Will potable water be the #1 issue? I'd say it's a toss up with energy.... yeah, yeah, I know. It's my specialty so I see it everywhere. But either water or energy has the potential to take care of #2 in a way we'd rather not have happen. There really are some serious problems out there. And we have half the nation thinking they can shave 20% off the CO2 emissions of their cars and save the world.

Will

BarryBobPosthole
08-09-2021, 08:35 AM
What got me to thinking about this was some discussions about the economy going on that have to do with supply chain issues. Its affected everything. The housing market now isn’t isn’t because of a robust economy, its because the building materials supply chain and labor market went kablooey. And when order is restored there, we see the resulting drop in prices descibed asa ‘bubble’ and here we go again.
But the lessons learned shouldn’t be just about us repeating the same cycles over and over. The lessons learned should be understanding what globalism really really is and what vulnerabilities it brings to many critical supply chains. It doesn’t make globalism bad. There’s a good and bad to every decision. it just means we’ve poorly understoodthe negative side of it. The risk. And immigration. We quite obviously don’t understand where our protein supply chains come from and who makes them go right now. Covid damn near exposed a gaping issue in meat production. The majority of people in our meat supply chains are either green card holders or illegal immigrants. That alone should be cause for an Upton Sinclair moment of reflection of what we eat and where it comes from.
Anyway, we’re at risk in many invisible ways. All so we can have strawberries in January.

BKB

On edit, I wasn’t talking about the agriculture end of the supply chain, I was talking about the processing end. The agriculture end has its own ‘upsidedowness’ problems.

airbud7
08-09-2021, 09:27 AM
We're getting smog/haze from California wildfires here in South Carolina...
https://www.wyff4.com/article/massive-wildfires-in-us-west-bring-haze-to-south-carolina/37089860#

where's Al Gore when you need him?....in his private jet.