PDA

View Full Version : When you buy a pig in a poke............

Buckrub
02-21-2013, 04:28 PM
you get poked in the rectum.

Whew.

Took my wheely to the shop..........the new tires I got are just a SKINCH too tall, and I got a lift kit for it. Not too expensive. But got invited back to same place to hog hunt Fri through Sun again, and so I called him to see if he'd put the lift kit on today. He said yes....I coulda done it, but not by tomorrow (it's 32 degrees, thunder, heavy rain, trees all iced over, not the weather to tear into a wheely's suspension)........ so I TRIED to take it to him.

But it wouldn't start. It did start, but only for a second, and blue smoke went everywhere. Then it died. And nothing I could do would start it again.

I finally winched it onto the trailer and took it to him. I originally figured it was just flooded, but after I got home *slapping head* I thought "No, it's EFI". Shouldn't flood.

I left it, in driving rain, and came home. I had to call Mother's insurance adjuster----he had called her and she wants me to deal with him---- I had looked up KBB value and what he told her sounded appropriate. But I called him back. Ha....I'm not only one having trouble, he took his laptop to a claim and rain got in it, and fried it. He had 'filed' the numbers and said the Regional Office in New Orleans would have to call us with the info, he was SOL. Best he remembered was around $4,500 though, so now we have to find her a replacement car for that. Geez.

Back to the story.

So, my guy tells me that this thing has been through water and 'fine dirt' has hurried along the process, and I'm out about a grand to rebuild it. However, that's a wild guess estimate, because he said "I don't know what else I'm getting into when I tear it down". And before you ask, this is an honest man. He was the Chief Mechanic for the biggest ATV dealer in town here (Sells everything, big place) but quit because they are crooks. Since then, Feds have busted them for some kind of withholding scam, and I don't know what all. This guy quit all that long ago and went independent, and is well respected by everyone here, and honest.

So, I don't know what I'm getting into........I ain't got a Thou laying around, but I can't be without this bike, either. Just got those new tires, and the lift kit is paid for......and I have no other option. Here, they are absolutely required to hunt....or get around on weekends like this one would have been.

I want the new John Deer RXR 850i, but they are about $16,000 and no one even has 'em, they're scarce as .22 bullets. So that's just a pipe dream. Thus, I'm left with no choice but to have this one fixed.

Needless to say, I ain't going anywhere this weekend! I was so tickled to find this thing for the price I paid a few years ago.

Sigh. It's like I'm Joe Btlsflk sometimes.

jb
02-21-2013, 04:55 PM
If you're dealing with the insurance coverage that says "replacement value" don't forget to add on any local or state taxes, title transfer etc. That's all on top of "replacement value"
Wife reminded me of that as she's a retired adjuster. :)

Buckrub
02-21-2013, 05:13 PM
The adjuster already brought that up. Thanks for reminding me, though.

Thumper
02-21-2013, 05:22 PM
Good luck on replacing the car. Did you ever find out what the accident report says regarding the cause of the accident?

As for the wheely ... I hate to say it ... but I had ONE word for you when you were searching for one. I think it started with a capital "H". ;)

What's that old saying? "You can lead a horse to water, but you .........".

Nevermind, I'm being cruel and I seriously doubt you're in a humorous mood. Sorry about the wheely probs. That sucks.

Buckrub
02-21-2013, 05:47 PM
He said he could not get to work on my wheely for 2 weeks, because he has TWO HONDA'S ahead of me, both needing same thing.

No, I ain't in a good mood right now. But yeah, I know you like Honda's. I've told you why I won't buy one. I do believe they are reliable. I think this one has 'been muddin' too much. I don't think it has a thing to do with the make or model. It has to do with how it was used for 1,400 miles before I bought it. I would have liked to have taken it to this mechanic and had him go through it before I bought it, but the seller wouldn't allow it..........and he had others looking at it. I had to make a decision, and I did. The decision was mine. It's no one's fault but mine. It's not the fault of this manufacturer.

And the accident report says mother is at fault. It's a long story..........but I went through the intersection myself to see how it works. Yes, she had a green arrow.........BUT it turned to 'solid green' somewhere during that turn. And like every other such stop light in town, it has a big sign next to the light that says "LEFT TURN MUST YIELD ON GREEN". Meaning, that when the arrow goes off and turns solid green, it's green in BOTH directions. And she should have yielded, regardless. She 'saw the car coming but thought it had to stop'. She really has no recourse. She even understood all that once I explained it. Finding a semi-reliable car for $4k is going to be difficult.

What a week.

Big Muddy
02-21-2013, 06:02 PM
Day'um, Bucky, I DO believe you and yo kin folks are snake bit....now that I'm a bonafide-Arkie-resident-redneck, I sho hope that sheeit don't rub off on me and MY kin folks!!! ;)

Buckrub
02-21-2013, 07:06 PM
I hope so too.

Thumper
02-21-2013, 07:23 PM
We both know you're right ... but I'd be shirking my duty if I didn't give you a rough time. They aren't submarines!

Big Muddy
02-21-2013, 07:29 PM
Tell your mechanic buddy to install a snorkel kit on it, while he's got it his shop....no, that's not a joke....snorkel kits are very common on atv's, down here.

Be sure and watch the video, at the bottom of the page!!!!!

http://www.extremesnorkels.com/honda-rancher-420-extreme-snorkels-kit/

Thumper
02-21-2013, 07:35 PM
Yep, they're big here also around the swampy areas. With a snorkle kit, they DO become submarines. But you still have to deal with wheel bearings, brakes, etc. and make DANG sure the crank case breather ain't open!

Buckrub
02-21-2013, 10:46 PM
Nah. I just use it a few times a year at the swampy camp of my buddy. Our camp barely has mud unless it's a real wet year, and then not all that much.

I'm spending enough on this thing as it is.

Big Muddy
02-21-2013, 11:20 PM
Becky, I just received a Bass Pro flyer in the mail, today....they are advertising a brand new 2013 Arctic Cat 400, delivered to your doorstep for $5,699....I bet you end up paying your mechanic, at least 20 percent of that price for repairs on your old wheelie.

Geez man, stop dinky-donking around with buying somebody else's used junk....you're 60-something years old, so buy yourself something that you don't hafta to be working on all the time....and, don't tell us you can't afford it....you know dang well that you CAN !!!!!

Thumper
02-21-2013, 11:44 PM
I want the new John Deer RXR 850i, but they are about $16,000

Dang! What's the point? You can buy a brand new 2013 Jeep Patriot for under $16,000!

Niner
02-22-2013, 08:39 AM
Sorry to hear about your wheelie Bucky. Hopefully it won't be tooooo expen$ive to get fixed.
I'll betcha if that Deere machine didn't have that Deere decal on it, it'd be a lot cheaper. :biggrin-new:

Chicken Dinner
02-22-2013, 09:10 AM
Man, that sucks. Why's stuff like that go down right after you make a big purchase?

Buckrub
02-22-2013, 09:22 AM
Well, Ed, I fell into the "you don't need a big machine" trap when I bought the 1996 King Quad 300. I won't do that again. Having this 700 is all the difference. It eases over stuff that little one struggled on. I can pull my trailer with it, FULL of firewood, all over camp, or move big 16' deer stands with it. The little ones struggle with it. Plus, I'd never have 2WD again...........not worth the effort.

And that jeep wouldn't get within sight of where I need an off road vehicle to go. Plus, who'd own an Italian Chrysler product? Jeez. If I want a jeep, used CJ's are going for $10K all day long. It isn't what I want.

And contrary to public opinion, no I ain't got $5K lying around just waiting to spend on something. Even if I did, I'd never be able to trade or sell this one with a blown motor. I don't have a choice. I might not keep it, I don't know. Depends on how much I can rathole away for a year maybe. But it has to get through that year somehow.

Thumper
02-22-2013, 06:17 PM
The Jeep thing was kinda "tongue in cheek". ;)