PDA

View Full Version : Army Worms Invasion

BarryBobPosthole
08-14-2021, 07:53 AM
I don’t know if you northern folk get them or not. The odd years that we get them they seem to come on the south wind from Texas way. Usually its dry years, and we’ve had a dry spell here lately. But when they hit, its Katie bar the door. One of my newer neighbors resodded his front yard with tiffway bermuda, the kind of fine grass they use on the fringes of greens and the first cuts of fairways on golf courses. He cuts it with a rotary blade mower and even goes over it with a roller afyer he’s done. He mows like three times a week its ridiculous. But its his yard and his water bill, not mine. The army worms hit himfirst. Like a freight train. Whole yard munched up overnight. Now its brown dirt. And they’re all over the neighborhood.
They actually don’t bother me much. I have zoysia and the army worms takecare of the bermuda and crabgrass pretty good that try to invade.
I remember one summer when Mallard and I leased the old Island Ranch we were fishing on a natural lake there. The army worms had hit the pastures and from where we were standingvyou could hear them chewing. Nothing but buttercups in that pasture the next year. They’re destructive bastards. Bliblical even sometimes.

BkB

Thumper
08-14-2021, 08:00 AM
Isn't today "National Blame the Democrats Day"?

Army Worms, Cicadas and Mexicans .... it's all YOUR fault. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
08-14-2021, 08:04 AM
And I’m gonna give them YOUR government cheese dammit!

BKB

quercus alba
08-14-2021, 11:08 AM
you've probably got some jaybirds and raincrows so fat that they're having to walk

BarryBobPosthole
08-14-2021, 01:59 PM
You’d think but the crows are more interested in the green pecans the squirrels are cutting down like crazy and the jay birds just sit in the trees and complain.

BKB

quercus alba
08-14-2021, 03:54 PM
The yellow-billed cuckoo. Common names are rain crow or storm crow. Probably because of calling before a rain or thunderstorm. They are death on catalpa and web worms