PDA

View Full Version : Well dang!

Thumper
08-25-2021, 10:31 AM
We had a long trip planned for the RV at the end of next month and into October. My buddy (my old motorcycle racing teammate) and his wife were to leave California for a 10,000 mile trip in their motorhome! (Los Angeles to Seattle to Maine to Key West Florida and back to L.A.) They were to be towing their Jeep for the Jeep Jamboree in Maine and we were to meet them there. Then they were to run with us down to Key West, then spend a few days in Florida before returning to L.A. That's one heck of a loop ... including a few side trips along the way.

Well, we've pretty much stayed in touch for the past 43 or so years, but all of a sudden I was getting no response to emails, texts or phone calls! Dang! I was starting to think he was DEAD! I finally received a call from his wife and was told he had been in the hospital for the past 2 weeks with a serious blood infection. With tubes down his throat and all the usual crap attached (of which I'm fully experienced with), he was unable to speak, but she's been keeping me informed of his progress. He finally called last night and we were able to speak for the first time.

It seems, he had walked up to a door at home, reached for the knob to open it and at the same time his little grandson came busting through the door from the other side, at a full run! The door swung open, caught my buddy's foot and ripped his big toenail off. OUCH! Ouch! Ouch! Makes my eyes water to think about it.

Long story just a little bit shorter, he doctored it up himself but it became infected and the infection entered his blood stream. It put him into ICU for a couple weeks on HEAVY antibiotics and he's still in the hospital recovering now (out of ICU). He says, once he's released, they have him scheduled for physical rehab, plus he'll be on heavy antibiotics for quite a while.

Needless to say, he had to cancel their trip .... and I just made a few calls cancelling our plans as well. Darn, it would have been a fun trip, but we'll make it another time. The plus side is he'd been fully vaccinated before the accident, plus they've given him two Covid tests since being admitted, but has tested negative both times. :thumbsup

BarryBobPosthole
08-25-2021, 10:43 AM
About 10 years ago, Mom was cleaning up the house of one of the ‘shut-ins’ that she helps take care of,in this case a lady who I graduated hs with and she is a hoarder and lets my then almost 75 year old Mom clean her fucking house and bring her food. But who am I to judge? Anyway, she caught some kind of infection from this wonderful persons kitchen as she was cleaning and landed in ICU on a ventilator for two weeks with a similar ‘blood infection’ toyour buddy’s. She made it but it was a very rough time. They still don’t know what the infection was, they justkilled it with mass quantities of antibiotics.
I know people need help. But I swear, sometimes it seems like it’d be more merciful to leave them to their own devices. That’s unchristian of me, but I know several over the years who’ve taken advantage of both of my parents, who do a bunch of community work like that. Stuff most people would be too grossed out to do. without complaint.
I guess that makes me their designated complainer.

BKB

Bwana
08-25-2021, 03:27 PM
Sorry to hear that Thump. It's always a bummer when big plans get changed on us but at least you still have your buddy around to chat with.