PDA

View Full Version : Dove Opener

BarryBobPosthole
09-01-2021, 07:42 AM
I know Larke would be raving about dove poppers today. And Muddy usually has a bunch of folks out to hunt the opener but I kind of doubt it this year. Unless they’re hunting from boats.

I never could eat doves, they taste like liver to me. Most wild fowl tastes that way to me, except quail. And Hombre made me up some pheasant a few times that wouyld make you slap your mamma. I killed a ptarmigan up in Canada and the camp cooks prepared it and it tasted like shit. I was expecting a big quail. It was like a big kidney.

But anyway, I wonder if any of youse are hunting doves today. Its the opener in most states I think. I might shoot one off a highline wire if I see one.

BKB

Thumper
09-01-2021, 09:39 AM
When I was a kid, my uncle (long ago deceased) was an avid quail and dove hunter. We’d bring home a mess of them and my aunt would clean and fry them. I LOVED them both equally. TBH, I really couldn’t tell the difference in taste and they could have been miniature chickens if I didn’t see them beforehand. I never was a bird hunter tbh, and those are the only memories I have. I did quite a bit of pheasant hunting at a farm in Ohio and whatever we killed was cooked up at the lodge there for a big feed. They were experts and knew what they were doing, so I had no complaints. Wild turkey? I’d eat the breasts and the rest became buzzard food. Wild duck? I’m in the “flying liver” camp on that one.

Big Skyz
09-01-2021, 10:02 AM
I used to hunt doves. Never cared for the taste of them and I can say that for most migratory birds. Back when I did hunt doves, ducks, and geese I had friends I could give them to that enjoyed eating them. I tried to like it, but like Barry said, they all tasted like flying liver to me. I can't stand liver!

quercus alba
09-01-2021, 10:09 AM
I love liver and doves and ducks and geese and all sorts of birds, robins field-larks blackbirds snipe etc but I draw the line at carrion eaters and raptors. Where I live now is all cattle country, no grain crops to pull the birds to, guess I'll just go fishing instead

Hombre
09-01-2021, 10:13 AM
Being in WA there will be no dove opener for me, but they sure are fun to shoot. That being said I have 2 pheasant hunts scheduled in SD this year. The first one is is a family hunt and a bit bittersweet. Early in 2020 I had planned this trip to make sure I got my dad, my son, and my father-in-law in the same pheasant field while we still had time. Unfortunately we lost my father-in-law this year so it will just be me, my son, father, and daughter's boy friend...but I know Paul will be there in spirit. The second is work buddies and I look forward to it, but not as much.

BarryBobPosthole
09-01-2021, 10:15 AM
Being in WA there will be no dove opener for me, but they sure are fun to shoot. That being said I have 2 pheasant hunts scheduled in SD this year. The first one is is a family hunt and a bit bittersweet. Early in 2020 I had planned this trip to make sure I got my dad, my son, and my father-in-law in the same pheasant field while we still had time. Unfortunately we lost my father-in-law this year so it will just be me, my son, father, and daughter's boy friend...but I know Paul will be there in spirit. The second is work buddies and I look forward to it, but not as much.

Paul is missed for sure. And the camp chili is now forever safe from someone sneaking a package of weinies in it.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
09-01-2021, 11:06 AM
A dove shoot when they’re really flying is about as much fun as you can have afield with a shotgun. And, Larke’s dove poppers were delicious. Basically, marinate in French dressing, wrap in bacon and grill IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chadwimc1
09-04-2021, 09:41 AM
Southern Ohio dove. 20 gauge Stoeger "Uplander" side by side. Light, swings nice, wide focal point for my aging eyes, thousands of shells through it without a hiccup.

BarryBobPosthole
09-04-2021, 10:07 AM
My stepdad has an old Fox 20 SXS that I grew up with. I sure killed a lot of stuff with it. 20’s and 16’s are underrated.

BKb

chadwimc1
09-04-2021, 10:18 AM
I have a late friend's Ithaca Featherlite in 16 gauge. I take it out every once in a while.
The other day, I popped a dove with it. Walking back to the edge of the field, I looked back and said "'Til we meet again, Carl".
My hunting buddy asked "Who are you talkin' to"?
I replied "Carl". He said "Oh"

Thumper
09-04-2021, 10:33 AM
I don’t know why you bothered carrying that shotgun. After looking at that pic, I’m 99.9% sure you could have just uglied ‘em to death. ;)

chadwimc1
09-04-2021, 12:46 PM
I don’t know why you bothered carrying that shotgun. After looking at that pic, I’m 99.9% sure you could have just uglied ‘em to death. ;)

And stand out in the middle of a public dove field so they get to look at my face?!?!? No thanks. I'm homely enough without buck shot being added to my hide...

Chicken Dinner
09-04-2021, 12:47 PM
I’ve always wanted a 16. Now, I’d be afraid I’d never find shells for it.

DeputyDog
09-04-2021, 01:31 PM
I’ve got an old Flues model Ithaca double barrel in 16 ga. that was my Great Grandpa’s and a L.C. Smith double barrel 20ga.

I used to carry the 20 ga. and my Dad used the 16 ga. to shoot quite a few rabbits, quail, and doves.

chadwimc1
09-06-2021, 09:23 PM
I’ve always wanted a 16. Now, I’d be afraid I’d never find shells for it.

16 and 28 gauge seem to be in stock...