PDA

View Full Version : Friends and stuff

Bwana
09-01-2021, 09:03 AM
Not sure where to start.

Or how to start...

I just got back from laying to rest a great guy. We were best friends from grade school through high school and even for our freshman year of college but then sort of drifted apart. He moved to a different college which made getting together more difficult. That being said, whenever we ran into one another it was just like we had never been apart so we would just pick up where we left off.

Oh my did we ever rip it up back in the day but I sort of grew up and he did too in some respects, not so much in others. Because of this, it has been way too many years since we have spent time together and as the saying goes, it is now too late as he was killed in a car accident late last week.

On top of this, just a few weeks ago I was at the funeral of my next door neighbor who decided to take his own life. We were college roommates way back when and were always going back and worth borrowing things from one another. He leaves behind a wife and three kids 20-something year old kids.

Health issues with family, big changes at work, and all the yuck going on right now...

I started this post late yesterday afternoon but never finished it. Now this morning we got word that a kind soul from my wife's hometown area was killed in a farming accident yesterday. I had only met the gentleman once but he and his family went out of their way to welcome us into their community during a Memorial Day luncheon several years ago.

Sorry for the depressing post and am not looking for sympathy but I sure am ready for some good news for once...and the weekend to unwind.

BarryBobPosthole
09-01-2021, 09:10 AM
When it rains, it pours it seems like sometimes. Sorry for the rough patch, John. I know a person taking their own life carries a double whammy of both sadness and a feeling of confusion about how it could happen to someone you know so well. I’ve lost friends like that too and its tough duty.

I’ve always been a believer in living in the present as much as I can. Its the only place we can truly enjoy happiness. Looking forward to happy days doesn’t do it for me and looking back on happier times is only a bandaid in tough times. I’d encourage you to look at all that you have to be happy for right this very minute. It helps sometimes.

All the best, buddy.

BKB

Thumper
09-01-2021, 10:06 AM
Sorry to hear this John. I’m with P-hole when it comes to living in the present and being happy for what you have instead of what could have been. I had to learn that when my health took an unexpected nose-dive. There was a period I was feeling sorry for myself, but I HAD to turn it around and realize how lucky I am to be alive. There’s a ton of stuff I wish I could do, but physically cannot, so I try to put it behind me and just be happy with what I CAN do. It like that with life, remember the good times and don’t dwell on what could have been. Sorry for your loss.

Chicken Dinner
09-01-2021, 10:58 AM
I’m sorry for your loss John and don’t have much to offer than to cherish the good memories you have. They are important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hombre
09-01-2021, 11:19 AM
That's tough, sorry you're going through all of this. A person is really lucky if they have friendships that run so deep you can be apart for years and when you get back together its like nothing ever changed.

Bwana
09-01-2021, 03:39 PM
I really have been blessed in so many ways and I KNOW that.

Thanks for the input gents!!

Big Skyz
09-01-2021, 03:48 PM
John, I'm sorry so much is being heaped on you in such a short time span. I'd like to tell you that I can live in the present as well as Barry and Jim, however, I'm going through some very similar experiences as you are. Frankly it sucks! Between divorces, deaths, and high risk suicide people I'm dealing with, my head and heart is getting pretty full, but this isn't about me. I'll just say I really do understand how you are feeling to a large degree. I hope things get a lot better for you and the dark clouds move on soon.