PDA

View Full Version : Winter Trout

BarryBobPosthole
02-22-2013, 10:30 AM
Here's the pics from our winter trip to the White River in Arkansas this year. The fish are purty, the fishermen notsomuch, but there were plenty of smiles. I'll fill in some ofthe story as the day progresses.
BKB

BarryBobPosthole
02-22-2013, 12:06 PM
You can't really tell from these pictures but it was about 16 degrees at least two of the three mornings we fished. So cold the line would freeze to the rod guides and you'd get a little snow cone buildup on the very tip of the rod. So you'd have to continually dip your rod tip in the water elsewise you'd throw a big wad of line off the reel and have a rats nest. Most of these were caught on our 'go-to' lures for the White River, which are big rapala minnow baits and smithwick Rogues. Anything with copper color seemed to work. I had some luck with some in-line spinners and spoons but right away noticed mostly what I was catching was rainbow stockers and switched back to minnow jerk baits. We caught our limit every day but really didn't have any big fish this year which is a disappointment. I don't care for trout on the table so its the big fish that makes me want to do this trip. Maybe next year!

It sure is pretty over there. The water levels are so low in this river chain that they alternate power generation with the upstream dams. We had really only one day when they were generating much water. The rest of the time we were navigating shoals. the bite seemed to really pick up when the water did. that may be the reason the catch quality was a bit down.

Caught three of the four species I go after there, rainbows, browns, and for me one brookie. there were lots of fly fisherfolk there too.

BKB

LJ3
02-22-2013, 07:12 PM
sounds cool! that pic on the top right sure looks like a big ass fish to me!

I caught a good size rainbow last year while fishing for smallies. That thing pulled HARD and I made a note to myself. "Self, fish for these things more"

I still haven't, though

I'm guessing with the temps out there wading wasn't really a safe option? :)

Bwana
02-22-2013, 11:25 PM
Those are some cool looking finned critters.

BarryBobPosthole
02-23-2013, 01:03 AM
We were prepared to wade but didn't do much of it this year. I wore mine to keep warmer.

This trip is where I finally blew out my knee last year on the exact same weekend. So it was my Adrian Peterson-like return to thimb my nose at it.

BKB