PDA

View Full Version : I don't expect many to wade through all of this ....

Thumper
10-02-2021, 09:30 AM
... but I'm just working through a nostalgic phase this morning and figured I'd share some of my memories here in a million words or less. ;)

I have a friend in Thailand whom I first met shortly after turning 20 years old and it was on his 27th birthday. In all my trips to Thailand, I've never once failed to visit and spend time with him. He started the "rock & roll" music craze in Thailand back in the days of the Vietnam War. He's always shown a respect and love for America and Americans and wanted to do something to entertain American troops stationed in Thailand. He taught himself to play a guitar (at 13 yrs. old) and in the late 60's, studied recordings of American rock music, even though he didn't speak English. I can remember many times translating words from music he was trying to duplicate (he's strictly a cover player). It was funny, because although he was singing in English, he had no clue what the words meant! BUT ... the troops LOVED him and he became extremely popular. He started a little band and played at a dive bar in town, but we would pack the place almost nightly.

I think it was around 1995 when I took my son to Thailand with me and we visited the club where he was playing at the time, and went something like 4-5 nights in a row. Although my son was only 23 and wasn't into 60's-70's music, he loved it. The first night there, we chatted with my buddy for a bit before he hit the stage and at one point during his performance, he pointed us out and informed the audience that his buddy since 1972 is in the crowd with his son who is older than his dad was when we first met! My boy loved it and we ended up drinking free all night as the patrons kept sending beers to our table. Man, I also have great memories of a few after hours parties at his place after a performance! I doubt I'd live through all that partying these days!

During the years, he's been given the title of Thailand's Guitar King. He's toured Norway and Germany and has even had a documentary made about him. He does many charity concerts and has performed at Royal functions. He's done very well for himself, but has always remained relatively quiet and modest ... still preferring to play small venues every night. He LOVES his family and has a super hot daughter who is also into music, but mostly does modeling. He loves his family first and music second. Here's a pic of his daughter, it's a bit dated, but you get the idea. Yeah, would'a been PERFECT for my son! :thumbsup

What brought up these memories is, I just received an email reminding me my buddy's birthday was last month and it's hoped I can make it there for the next one (8/20/2022) as it will mark the day we first met 50 years ago. Damn! I'd really, REALLY like to make it, but I seriously doubt I'll be able to. You've been a great friend Lam. I promise to send a card.

I realize this may not be for everybody, but this dude is 76 years old and has been performing every single night since his 20's! This is one of my favorites although it's an amateurish cell phone video taken in the club where I took my son to meet him. He's still going strong and appears to have many more years ahead of him as he has no plans to retire. I wish I had his energy.

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/e22S_ZPiFx0" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BarryBobPosthole
10-02-2021, 09:39 AM
If you have music in you, its gotta come out.

How come every time you post a pic of a female, i always look for an adams apple first thing?

BKB

Thumper
10-02-2021, 09:46 AM
If you have music in you, its gotta come out.

How come every time you post a pic of a female, i always look for an adams apple first thing? BKB

Uhhh, I dunno ... maybe you prefer adams apples? ;)

LJ3
10-04-2021, 06:05 PM
Pretty cool Jimmy! I don’t know why it amused me as much as it did but he’s playing a Richie Sambora signature model Strat in that video. He’s a good guitar player too!

Thumper
10-04-2021, 07:43 PM
Ticboy, he has a collection of guitars that would prolly fill my house, but although there are a bazillion pics of them, I have no clue which one's would be special, or of interest to post here. He's also given a shitload of them to his daughter over the years as she plays in a band, although I'm not sure how active she is now as she's done a movie and does DJ work and modeling.

12834 12835

The one that brings the most memories to me is one of his originals from back in the day. It's a custom from his early days and he still plays it in his gigs. It's almost always on stage with him. Who knows what it is, or was ... I just call it his M16 guitar from back in the 'Nam days.

Yeah, we were both young once. ;)