PDA

View Full Version : question for you knowabouters

quercus alba
11-12-2021, 07:49 PM
I know some of you have to watch your sugar intake. I take 100 units of insulin, metformin, Jardinance and a shot of Victoza daily plus watch my carbs and still have days where It's all I can do to keep it under 200 mmol. Some days I can eat what I want and it hardly gets over 100. My last A1C was 6.5, three months before that it was 11.5

The question I have is, what do you think about Aspartame (Splenda) ? Lots of people preach against it but I haven't been able to find a credible source that proves there's anything remotely dangerous about it. I remember years ago when all the doctors warned about the sodium cyclamate in cola causing cancer in lab rats. It later came out that you'd have to drink 165 cokes a day for twenty years to get the amounts they were injecting into the rats.

So what about Splenda? Deadly killer or much ado about nothing?

Thumper
11-12-2021, 08:13 PM
I’m borderline diabetic, but I’m pretty much clueless about this stuff.

DeputyDog
11-12-2021, 08:37 PM
Can’t give an educated opinion. (Not like that’s ever stopped anyone here before though).

I do know that a lot of people have switched to the stevia since it’s supposed to be all natural.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quercus alba
11-12-2021, 08:47 PM
Stevia has a bitter taste to me, I've even raised it (as natural as you can get) and it was still bitter. My dad ate processed food most of his life and lived to be 97. I'm not convinced "natural" is all it's cracked up to be

Thumper
11-12-2021, 09:28 PM
I'm not convinced "natural" is all it's cracked up to be

Thank God! The thought of you running around au naturale is scary! [emoji15]

BarryBobPosthole
11-12-2021, 10:08 PM
None of that shit is worth a damn.

I’ve been type II since 2007. I haven’t had a blood test out of range in overtwo weeks. I take 60 units of long acting insulin a day and around 12-18 units of short acting every day. Both of those are down by 2/3 from a year ago.

Intermittent fasting and walking 2.0 mi a day has done it for me. My A1c is right around 5.0 right now.

It works. and its easy.

BKb

Arty
11-16-2021, 08:56 AM
We use Splenda for coffee and tea. If I die from it I’ll let you know.

LJ3
11-16-2021, 10:14 AM
I discovered a sweetener called Monkfruit last year. It's the best I've eve used and I'm pretty sure I've tried them all. It has absolutely no after-taste at all for me. Sweeteners are very much up to the individual, though. What sweet me me can taste like Jimmy's ass to Arty.

Thumper
11-16-2021, 10:18 AM
Hey!!! How do YOU know what my ass tastes like?

Oh yeah, there WAS that one drunken night in NOVA, but I’m sure you’ve forgotten about that. 🤣